Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 16:43   #946

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
I hate to open a whole new six-pack of worms, but silicone grease is an insulator!

Try this stuff: ContraLube

I didn't use the heat sink type, just a tiny dab of a silicon based lubricant.
My biggest concern was with any capacitive qualities.
Obviously, it's not hurting my reception.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 16:49   #947
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Nigel-
"I hate to open a whole new six-pack of worms, but silicone grease is an insulator! "

That's one reason that silicone dielectric (non-conductive!) grease is in fact the grease of choice for many electrical systems. From light bulb bases to marine electronic data connections, where it is supplied by the manufacturer.

If you use a conductive grease it is likely to find ways to short things out. Especially if it creeps at all.

By using a non-conductive grease, you rely on the metal-to-metal connection which will fully displace the grease when you have solid contacts.

And in fact, Contralube's FAQ sheet says "Contralube can be termed ‘dielectric’ which translates to" it is just a different base grease, with properties very similar to silicone grease. Their FAQ also says it should be used where there is sufficient pressure to ensure metal-to-metal contact, i.e. the same way silicone grease should be used.

In contrast, you can use a conductive grease like NeverSeize. (Oil doped with metal dusts.) And the problem there, is that antiseize is just great on spark plug threads--but get just a trace of it fouling the tips, and the plugs don't fire. So the conductive stuff is best where it can do no harm. On battery cables and other "crude" connections, I'll use whichever one is handy.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 19:16   #948
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Steve,

The electrical tape on top of the rescue tape is to protect the rescue tape from UV radiation. With some tie-wraps to hold that in place it should be good for years in the tropics even... and after that you only have to replace the electrical tape because the rescue tape will still be like new.

Now we're talking about the taping... make sure to wrap the tape from bottom to top, not the other way around. I know.. I'm a freak... but check what happens and think about roof tiles and water running down.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30   #949

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Steve,

The electrical tape on top of the rescue tape is to protect the rescue tape from UV radiation. With some tie-wraps to hold that in place it should be good for years in the tropics even... and after that you only have to replace the electrical tape because the rescue tape will still be like new.

Now we're talking about the taping... make sure to wrap the tape from bottom to top, not the other way around. I know.. I'm a freak... but check what happens and think about roof tiles and water running down.

ciao!
Nick.
Oh, crap. I've got to go up the mast AGAIN !
I wrapped the tape from top to bottom. argh.

Ayn Rand
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37   #950
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Oh, crap. I've got to go up the mast AGAIN !
I wrapped the tape from top to bottom. argh.
I wouldn't make a trip up for this. Just correct it the next time you are up there.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42   #951

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
I hate to open a whole new six-pack of worms, but silicone grease is an insulator!

Try this stuff: ContraLube

Um... you would prefer a grease that's a good conductor? I think that non-conducting *is* the key feature of dielectric grease. I'm pretty sure that the grease you are indicating is also an insulator/non-conductive type grease. I didn't look closely into the type of grease you listed so I could be wrong.

Here's food for thought though. Some dielectric grease *will* conduct RF and that can be bad also. We learned this working with connections on high end marine satellite tv dishes.

I wouldn't look at it as a can of worms so much as a very good topic to discus on this thread!

George
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45   #952

There's no tape whatsoever on our masthead bullet for 7 months in some pretty sever marine conditions. No problems.

George
Old 02-08-2011, 09:13   #953

The dielectric grease possibility of absorbing RF is exactly why I used it as sparingly as possible.

My wife will be glad to hear she doesn't need to crank me up there any time soon !

Ayn Rand
Old 02-08-2011, 09:34   #954

I was thinking about swapping the 2hp out with an M2hp and running a 2hp on the cantenna this next time out. Abacos is on the itinerary again this year so I should have some good comparison usage information. It won't be "scientifically" collected but should be valuable in the field testing department. BTW, I was *very* impressed to hear Elon Musk (the CEO and CTO of SpaceX) make a remark something like, "we have it working on paper now so it's time to find out if it will work in the real world". I'd say this is one engineer with his head in the right place!

Anyway, my point is that I will examine that antenna connection at the masthead very carefully and will report back any problems.

George
Old 02-08-2011, 15:26   #955
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
There's no tape whatsoever on our masthead bullet for 7 months in some pretty sever marine conditions. No problems.

George
I don't think you will be able to disconnect the Bullet from the antenna anymore. I have tried that after 3 months and failed with a torn up Bullet as the result.

But yes, the N-type connectors are weatherproof.

Also, do not forget the seal on the bottom for the Ethernet cable. Wasps like to go up in there, make nests etc. Not that I know from experience of course

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 16:03   #956

I throw away the little rubber seal they give you and use RTV sealant at the cable entry. Now I want to go up there and see what's what... but I have a very very long to do list at the moment and it's working so well...

But I have had that experience of looking aloft and watching wasps flying in and out of the top of the mast... not a good feeling.

George
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29   #957

SIMONMD shows that he is using an Alfa R36 router/AP in posts #730 and #751. I bought one of these units this spring but I am having internet connectivity issues. It works fine for awhile and then neither of us can access the internet via Airport on our MacBooks (10.5.8). I have uploaded the new firmware. Cannot find any solutions on the net; just complaints.

Did you have any problems, SimonMD? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks.
Sheila Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49   #958

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Initially, I did have trouble setting it up. It was the firmware that was at fault though and once i'd taken it back to the shop I got it from and the guy installed it, it's given me no trouble since.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21   #959

Thanks SimonMD. Your reply gave me a bit of much-needed encouragement. I have worked on configuration details and it seems to be working fine now!

All the best!
Sheila
Sheila Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47   #960

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I would second Waterwayguy's post. I use the ALFA AWUS036H 1000mw unit after having had all the various different external antenna including all the WaveRV models. I really like the ALFA and especially its price at $31 versus the listed price for the 5miwifi price of $400.
- - If you are too lazy to buy and build the external waterproof box for the ALFA you can buy the system assembled from "The Wirie" for about $250
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote