Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 22-12-2009, 17:01   #361

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
That's the *one* thing I do know for sure! heh heh But I'll bet that if you had a little help (as I had) you could get to where you could use this stuff. And some of the USB ones like the Alpha are as plug and play as you get. Also, if you can fix your own diesel you are miles out front of most of the people I've met "out there". I know that Bob has taken folks who until recently had trouble programing their VCR right through the step by step of operating the Bullet. You don't need to understand all that jargon when you have someone showing you the way.

George
I can do it with someone holding my hand.

After all when the blue screen on any one of the computers (6) says "contact your system administrator" I hear "dad" or "dear".
I have learned a few things but am old now and more resistant than in the past.
I just want to sail..............in comfort.............with ease.............LOL.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 15:00   #362

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Don't underestimate your abilities, if you can fix the Diesel then with a bit of reading you can unmask the WiFi confusion. Why even try? There will be that day when you will need help with the diesel or something else and your WiFi won't work and you won't be able to ask for help on the WiFi or some other problem.

Its worth knowing enough to be dangerous

Jack C
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 15:50   #363

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
Don't underestimate your abilities, if you can fix the Diesel then with a bit of reading you can unmask the WiFi confusion. Why even try? There will be that day when you will need help with the diesel or something else and your WiFi won't work and you won't be able to ask for help on the WiFi or some other problem.

see Great Boat Gear WiFi Tutorial and Guide Stay Connected

Its worth knowing enough to be dangerous

Jack C

Great Boat Gear Great Boat Gear Stay Connected
Augh!
learning!

Quote:
A flexible, powerful solution designed for boaters and the marine environment by boaters!
That will be my solution when it comes time.
Old 23-12-2009, 15:56   #364

Therapy: Don't worry. Basic networking (even wireless) is far easier than many other boat-related tasks. It's foreign at first, but far from difficult.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 16:08   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Therapy: Don't worry. Basic networking (even wireless) is far easier than many other boat-related tasks. It's foreign at first, but far from difficult.
If it's foreign it is difficult.

Thanks for the confidence thought though.

My wife's office computer internet link is controlled by Windows and Linksys (and magic). Sometimes it does not work and the windows section will get it up. Sometimes windows says "sorry no can do, try something else" and the Linksys screen does it. Sometimes nothing helps till restart and one or the other. Sometimes I have gone from screen to screen and after it ends up working I have no idea where I have been or what I did. No way to backtrack. No chart. No compass. LOL.

FM - I learned while in electronics school oh so long ago.
Old 23-12-2009, 16:38   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I can do it with someone holding my hand.
Now now, lets try to keep this topic family-friendly.

Seriously though, if you run in to any network/wifi issues, just send me a message. I'll help if I can.
Old 23-12-2009, 16:52   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Now now, lets try to keep this topic family-friendly.

Seriously though, if you run in to any network/wifi issues, just send me a message. I'll help if I can.
Thanks for that.

Next time it happens I will call you to walk me through it.
Old 23-12-2009, 19:26   #368

The "AirOS" on the Ubi units is great. Really nice interface and easy to configure. Better than most consumer-level routers, etc. I'm connected to a router in bridge mode right now. Working nicely.
Old 23-12-2009, 21:05   #369

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
With mechanical stuff you take it apart, clean it, replace what is obviously worn or broken and put it together again.

With software you power cycle to restore the memory that leaked away due to bad programming and hope it works again for a while. Occasionally you load a new firmware version and hope it will run longer. Technology runs so fast that new firmware versions are rare, you just buy the newer, better cheaper model.

A dirty secret in IT is they regularly power cycle their routers. Sort of like changing the fuel filters.

I am so happy I have a 1984 vintage diesel that uses a tractor block and that does not use electronics or software and I can fix myself.

Jack C

Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 17:26   #370

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Anyone using this? Bitstorm - Products

Comments?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 18:16   #371

Looks like they're just reselling Ubiquiti gear with their logo placed over the labels. They've jacked up the prices to make a comfortable mark-up for themselves.

Old 31-12-2009, 18:24   #372

Yep. A $70 Bullet 2HP and a $40 8db antenna for $170.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 18:27   #373

Or $142 for a bullet by itself. Lame.
Old 31-12-2009, 21:08   #374
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"A dirty secret in IT is they regularly power cycle their routers." Only in the consumer-grade junk. Routers don't accumulate "garbage" in their memory, they just connect and pass packets as they are told. A lot of the consumer-grade WiFi boxes, wrongly called routers because they also do the routing, just have lousy programming and they are another story. But business/commercial grade routers? Hell no, you don't touch that power switch because you'd disconnect the CONSTANT traffic on them. They're more reliable than any other link on the chain.

Repowering is like putting air in a flat tire: You haven't found or fixed the real problem, so it is just going to fail again.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 21:28   #375

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Thanks.

Ote hapa manwifi uataalam?

That is swahili for anyone here a wifi expert? Which is how I view most of this voodoo wifi stuff.

Please just tell me what to buy and where to get the best deal.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote