Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 21-09-2009, 10:04   #271

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Mine loves her work so much she would probably do it for free if they asked her nicely.
Would your wife please send her paychecks to me? I will even pay the taxes and always say nice things about her.

Stop and think how wonderful it would be - she can still do what she loves AND help me continue doing what I love.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 19:52   #272

Boat: Hans Christian 43 T
Chuck...like your idea. Looks like from your photo you added another antenna. Is that correct?
Steve Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 20:31   #273
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
I've looked at the 5mi wifi website. Their product does not work with Mac.

Any suggestions?
Buy a cheap PC notebook or netbook, and use Internet Connection Sharing to run the connection to the Mac.

Or find out if you can use the 5Mi with VirtualPC running on your Mac.

Or, remember there are other ways to run a full one watt without the 5Mi.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 20:33   #274

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
After over a month of testing,I realize I made a mistake.Either my 5 mile wifi is now malfunctioning,or the Alfa 500mW,with external omni antenna really is better.Now to see if the guys at 5 mile stand behind their return,repair policy.Someone here said the cable is too long,I think that may be true,having the unit right next to antenna is the way to go.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 08:20   #275

5 mile wants me to return unit,apparently it is defective.
Old 18-10-2009, 10:34   #276

I don't understand. A month ago you were raving over the 5 mile's performance vs the Alpha. What happened?
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 18:25   #277

Boat: Any time now!
Keep in mind guys transmit power is not always the answer.

Just want to point out that a 1W transmit power with x feet of LMR cable adding up to 3dB in loss, is NOT the same as a POE unit with 500mW.

While, with the same antenna, the effective isotropic radiated power (EIRP) will be the same, the receive signal strength will be at least 3db less. Since the weak end of such a system is the received power (a typical wifi base station has 25mW output with crappy antennas) the POE unit begins to see major performance benefits over the higher powered unit with LMR cable.

Sorry just clearing that up
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 20:00   #278

Actually I am again,not sure what happened,had a temporary lack of signal,after testing unit again today, I find myself with a properly functioning unit.Wifi itself is subject to fluctuating levels of performance due to various influences above my level of knowledge.Just to set the record straight;it is slightly more powerful than my Alfa.Sorry for the changing opinion.Will test products side by side for further evaluation.The support at 5 mile wifi was outstanding.At the A9 anchorage in San Diego,I'm the only one with internet.
Old 20-10-2009, 18:44   #279

Boat: 36' Cascade
I have just recieved and hooked up my 5 Mile and I like it, like WOW! I'm a pirate now! Never new there were so many signals out there.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 19:23   #280

I'm in the crappiest area for wifi at this moment,and only because of my "5 mile wifi", am I even able to get on here.Mr. Alfa won't quite pull it in.My neighbor has the 802 Marine, and gets nothing.
Old 21-10-2009, 16:20   #281

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
I'm in the crappiest area for wifi at this moment,and only because of my "5 mile wifi", am I even able to get on here.Mr. Alfa won't quite pull it in.My neighbor has the 802 Marine, and gets nothing.
So it seems to be money well spent.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 21:09   #282

Seems to work better at night, where I'm at right now.Got it mounted on telescopic pole,cable stretched out to the max.Better than no wifi.
Old 22-10-2009, 11:32   #283

Boat: Cooper 416
Highseas I have the smallest unit that 802 makes . Its the rubber duckie.802portside would rip it in from Catalina.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 15:51   #284
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Keep in mind guys transmit power is not always the answer.

Just want to point out that a 1W transmit power with x feet of LMR cable adding up to 3dB in loss, is NOT the same as a POE unit with 500mW.

While, with the same antenna, the effective isotropic radiated power (EIRP) will be the same, the receive signal strength will be at least 3db less. Since the weak end of such a system is the received power (a typical wifi base station has 25mW output with crappy antennas) the POE unit begins to see major performance benefits over the higher powered unit with LMR cable.

Sorry just clearing that up
Just to clarify this as well. The issue here has nothing to do with POE or USB, it has to do with the coax. A USB solution that uses no coax will also behave the same.

The bottom line is coax is bad. You don't want any, or as little as possible.
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 16:47   #285

I have been setting up systems on friends' boats for the past couple of years. (Good way to get free sailing time.) Started with Engenius but moved to Ubiquiti Bullets this Spring. I have installed 5 so far. I am getting GREAT results out of Bullet 2HPs screwed almost directly to the bottom of 8db and 12db omnis. 8dbs on the monos and 12dbs on the cats. Zero coax loss. Pretty darned good for under $150 including the gel filled CAT5.

Two are mounted at the masthead, two on fold over mounts on the Bimini frame and one on the stern rail. The Bimini mounts have about 6" of LMR400 so they can fold over and the Bullet remain upright. The masthead has 3" of LMR400 to relieve any bending stress. The masthead systems seem to have a little better range but probably not worth the effort. Stern rail installations get a little directional.

One has a local AP for onboard wifi which was a lot simpler to set up than I thought it would be. The Bullet's configuration interface is WAY better than Engenius, much more flexable and if you screw it up there is a reset button on the bottom so you can start over.

All the boats are in the Caribbean right now. Two heading out in December on the 'Round the World Rally. I was a little worried about sending those boats off with what looked to me like a rather wimpy case so I tested one with a pressure washer while flexing the connections. No problem as long as the bottom where the CAT5 enters is well sealed.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote