Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2024, 07:14   #31

Boat: too many to list
Re: Is it possible to reach customer service at B&G?

I have one number for all: Lowrance/Simrad/B&G.
But it's the dealer number.
And a call always means a wait, and you better have the software up to date or you go back in the queue.

It's probably the software.
You seem confident enough, as others have pointed out, that your flat head oversized screw (which has a tapered cone not a flat bottom like a pan head) is not the source of concern, even though it clearly sits proud above and outside the mounting hole.
So maybe you could grind the corners of the fascia off?
Or install the fascia, then drill through to install that ugly screw?
Have you tried aluminum rivets? Those would sit neatly in the hole, and are simple enough to drill out later.

But I'd be certain to update the software first. If it was on the shelf too long it's probably three updates, or more, behind. And that certainly can cause the wrong screw to not fit in the wrong hole, and may even cause the wrong screw to not fit in the right hole. It's screwy. Or there's a screw loose?

OR, as a final option, tighten the steering wheel. It sounds like there's a loose nut behind it.
BayouSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:42   #32

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Actually, the original question of the OP has merits:
Has anybody in this Forum been able to talk to a human at B&G Customer Service? If so, how did it happen?
I am curious as well.

As for the specific issue of the post, I agree it may be easier to find help here in the forum rather than from B&G
Yes, after anywhere between 25 and 1 hour 45 minutes on hold. The worst customer service I've ever experienced in any field in my 80 years of life!
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:48   #33

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

B&G was Brooks & Gatehouse. A surveyor told me that Brooks & Gatehouse is more known as Broken Sh-thouse. Unfortunately, this was right after I purchased a Triton 2 system. He is right.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:54   #34

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheDriver View Post
Thanks for the ideas. The screen is flat glass. I did try just putting the screws in finger tight to see if I was somehow pulling something back but had the same results. I am going to fill the holes and try putting in some tiny finishing screws which will hopefully hold it in and be small enough. It would be nice to see an installation with the correct screw size installed since B&G obviously put either the wrong screws or the wrong facia in the box.
I think some people are being overly critical here. Yes you need smaller screws. It sounds like B&G did not include the correct ones.

You mention installing jet engines, and keep calling them “finishing screws” that will “hopefully hold it”. I think you are just used to thinking in a larger scale. Tiny screws will be fine. With electronics it’s normal to consider #4 (0.112”) or even #2 (0.086”) for structural mounting. A few .050” brad nails would probably hold the thing in place just fine (not recommending that). Mentally switching scales can be tough, I often have to switch between thinking of 1/4” bolts as small, to thinking of #10’s (0.190”) as huge. It takes a minute.

Not sure why people think the holes are way off. It looks like you put in some sealant that made a little bit of a mess when taking the screws back out. If the screws went in true and center, the holes were fine. If you have access to the backside you can use machine screws and nuts, then you don’t have to fill and redrill for a smaller size.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:29   #35

Boat: Pearson 386

The answer is NO. Perhaps before B&G or Simrad became part of Navico as before I ever tried B&G's stuff, as in at one time could have been responsive, but that is only a guess on my part. Years ago I used Navico's tillerpilots which I found good but not needing support. About 2 years ago I changed my 30 plus year old Raytheon instruments to B&G Triton and Zeus generation instruments during the lingering days of the original Covid 19 crisis. Around that time, I only once was able to get through to their technical support which was in the end helpful. Having tried since I had your same experience. The bigger negative is that overall I found their software too complex and much less intuitive than either Raytheon or Garmin, Garmin being the easiest. Lastly, what I see in your pics is that the head of the flat phillips head screw photographed appears to extend beyond the inner plane change at the beveled edge of the bezel, which would likely cause interference keeping its cover from going home. Perhaps the screws you are using were meant to be used elsewhere, but I view it as a problem easily solved.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:58   #36
Marine Service Provider

This past summer I purchased a bunch of B&G equipment wind Windsor, radar ,mfd , compass etc. I installed it all while doing a refit on the boat. At one pout I realized the wind sensor cable was damaged so I tried to reach B&G customer service for help getting a replacement connector. I tried for weeks calling every number I could find and finally out of desperation I messaged them through Instagram and finally got someone to respond. I love B&G products but they have a lot to learn about customer service. I finally got help and once i was in contact with them they were really nice but I’d hate to go though that again. Good luck!
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:23   #37

Boat: Hunter 50cc

I actually reached someone a couple of months ago. I keep track calling each morning at opening time and staying on the line until they quit. 42 hours I was on hold for a question the guy laughed at and just said "Don't use that feature." My autopilot won't do the autotune. I asked for help and got none.
jackrabbit59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 17:23   #38

Boat: Lagoon 450S

I waited on the line for more than two hours before getting through. Just call and wait.
SV Coronado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 17:56   #39

Customer service and warranty service are always a concern. I have not used B&G. I have used Si-Tex and Garmin. You can talk to Si-Tex and their advice is free. Warranty service is not. I had an MDA-5 Class B AIS. It worked the first summer, but was unreliable the second summer. Si-Tex advertises a 2 year warranty. I shipped my MDA-5 back. They charged me $70 and said there was nothing wrong with it. I wired it back into my NMEA 2000 network and it still didn't work. Si-Tex told me they'd replace it. I sent it back three months ago. Si-Tex did not replace it. I bought a Garmin AIS 800. When I called Garmin there was a wait, but they called back. I also emailed their help desk and they replied. Garmin answered my questions and my AIS 800 is working perfectly. I have Garmin hydraulic autopilot, GPSmap XSV, depth finder, and wind instrument since 2017. Garmin stuff works and they have customer support.
nrx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 18:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I’m afraid nothing I will write will be to your liking… I installed it too and had no trouble. You probably have the screw holes not drilled in the center and/or straight or the face you mount it on isn’t flat.

Start with one corner that shows the holes perfectly lined up. Does the bezel fit over that? Then you simply need to get the other screws exactly like that.

Maybe ask someone to help you? Or pay for professional installation.

Yes, you are correct, nothing you say will be to his liking because you are not addressing his question. And it’s a much bigger concern than a few screws.

You can’t communicate with B&G! This is what he and most of us on this thread want to know about.

So far, the lesson that I am learning here is:………..don’t buy B&G. If they are worse that Garman, they REALLY must be bad.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:20   #41

Those screws are most definitely not the right ones!

I do electronics installs, and have never had an issue with properly sized fasteners.

It should have come with 4 pan head screws for the bracket mount, and some very tiny screws specifically for flush mounting.

You’ll likely have to glue and plug those holes if the dash is wood, or fill with resin and Cabosil.

Forget what came in the box, and consider what you would use to put an auto horizon unit in the dash of an aircraft.

Use your skills to properly size a tiny pan head or truss head fastener, not a flat head, which is designed to fit into a countersunk bore.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:27   #42

The little keys on the bezel are not all snapped into their respective receivers, which is what’s causing the face to appear curved.

Work your way from the center out, or from one side across, rather than the ends to the center.

A little massaging, and they’ll snap right in.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:51   #43

Boat: Cal25 - Mark II

It appears that the screws included with plotter are the wrong size. The heads should not protrude above the faceplate at all. Dropping down one size should solve this issue.
MHTinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 18:22   #44

Boat: McIntosh 47

We just did a total refit with Simrad and B&G. Like other comments I spend hours and hours over multiple days trying to connect with B&G technical support. The answer- in the front end of the call select the option stating you are a DEALER! Works! The fellow that answers doesn’t care you aren’t a dealer and is very knowledgeable.
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 21:35   #45

Boat: Pearson 386

Gone Gypsy great post, and a tip to keep in mind as it is no sailor that I know of that has ever been prosecuted for "impersonating a dealer".
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service