Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2022, 07:36   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
Instruments and fuses, a little help please.

Both my depth sounder/knotmeter have gone out at the most inopportune time. Clearly an electrical issue. Behind the main panel I see three fuses, one of which I think might go to the Datamarine. It's labeled BUSSAGC2A, which I do not have on board. I'm bouncing around like crazy on a mooring today and I would feel a whole lot better with this thing up and running before I move on.
A) Is it likely there is a fuse for this instrument?
B) If so can I replace it with an AGS-15A in a pinch? Guessing no....

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:49   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: Instruments and fuses, a little help please.

I is a good assumption that the instrument is fused. When a fuse blows there is always the question on why. If all is OK and fuse blow from some random event than no harm will come temporary replacing the fuse with a larger one. It is generally not considered good practice but sometimes one must do what they must do. Also remembering a wire is fused to protect the wire and not the device it powers. If I were in your situation I would use the bigger fuse. Put it in and assuming the instruments work, leave them on for a few minutes and carefully feel the wire around the fuse to feel if it is getting warm. If not I would say all is good. I would make it a priority to replace with the correct size fuse asap.

It is also possible that the actual device is also fused at the device. This fuse is specified by the manufacture and is there to help protect the device.

Good Luck
Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:35   #3

a 2 amp fuse for an instrument seems VERY high. I wonder if someone already put that in there ....way oversize?
Or that fuse you mention maybe powers more than one thing? Trace what it powers, maybe something else is blowing it?
I agree, if a low draw instrument is blowing fuses, something is shorting somewhere, check wires, wire ends etc for chafing etc.
A 15 amp is way overkill. Do you have the instrument manual? what should it have?
Where are you? AGC fuses are very common.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:04   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I was going to say if you know why the fuse blew you could tin foil to limp for supplies. Otherwise you run the risk of destroying equipment. I’d check every connection for continuity and corrosion first. I’d check the hull grounds and verify polarity I’d disconnect the most recent thing added to that circuit.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

Thanks all, I topped off the batteries thinking it might be a low power issue but still no luck so I replaced the fuse, which appears good, with a 15 amp and everything came back up. I'm out at an island with no access to an appropriate fuse so for now this will have to do. I'm monitoring the wires for heat. I was hoping to jump a USB charger off this connection but now have second thoughts.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuses, instruments, lease, men, rum