Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 15:09   #1

Boat: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
How do the Raymarine Smartpilot connectors work?

I feel really stupid asking this, as it seems this must be obvious to most people, but I have tried several options without any success.
I need to hook up 2 wires to the NMEA + connectors on the bottom of my Raymarine SmartPilot S1. ()
It seems like a solderless quick connector system but whatever I do, I cannot get connectors to open and snap onto my wires. The service manual doesn't provide any clues either. I find links about Auto Spring Lever Connectors but mine do not seem to work that way at all.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!
aerospike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 15:40   #2

Re: How do the Raymarine Smartpilot connectors work?

Above each colored square is the lever. At the top of the lever is a small "cup". Put the blade of a small screwdriver in the cup, and then push on the lever using the screwdriver. It may take some force, the springs are quite strong. This will open the terminal below the colored square. Stick the wire in the hole that is opened, then release the lever. Depending on the size of the wire the lever will not come all the way back to the original position, but the wire will be held by the spring.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 15:44   #3

Boat: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
Re: How do the Raymarine Smartpilot connectors work?

Thanks HeywoodJ for confirming what I thought. It does indeed require considerable force as I already tried what you describe but stopped because I feared I'd break it.
I am not at my boat right now but will try tomorrow. Many thanks!
aerospike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, work