Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 11:58   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Flat Panel/entertainment system suggestions?

I'd like to install a flat panel display in the boat that could be used for playing movies, cable and work. I've been out of the loop for the development of the new entertainment systems. I've seen displays hooked up without visible wires. I know that some devices can be connected via Bluetooth.

Anyone have some suggestions on resources that describe the various options?

I'm thinking a 24-30" display would be all I need. I already have a Bluetooth stereo. I'd like to connect the panel to the stereo and use the speakers already there.

Thanks
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 13:42   #2

Boat: Bateau FS17
Re: Flat Panel/entertainment system suggestions?

they make computers now that resemble a large usb stick, but instead of usb it has a hdmi port out the end of it. Perhaps something like this is what you were thinking about?

I haven't researched them, but would assume that they would still have a usb port on the side for a hub of usb devises if needed as well as Bluetooth and wifi for your normal peripherals such as keyboards, mice, speakers, etc......

Even simpler would be an amazon firestick (or one of their competitors devices) but that comes with a lot less functionality if you were intending to work or be away from an internet connection.

I googled one quick to give you a link,
https://www.amazon.com/MeLE-Windows-...MZ9XPS3&sr=8-3

On the more nerdy side you could do some sort of rasberry pi or arduino based device, and on the heavier side a full gaming tower with remote cable running through the paneling to the back of the screen
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 14:55   #3

Wink Re: Flat Panel/entertainment system suggestions?

No, I was not looking for the media server. I was looking for a display or TV that I can hang on the bulkhead. For content, I’ll use my laptop or one of my Mac Minis.
Old 08-10-2021, 15:11   #4

Just hang a good computer monitor on the bulkhead. I put a BenQ 27 inch entertainment monitor on the bulkhead above my nav station. It has 3 HDMI outputs. One goes straight down to the nav pc and the other 2 run to a nook behind the settee where I have a tv tuner and an IPhone hdmi adapter.

As a bonus, my monitor came with an external power supply that I swapped out for a 12 volt version. It runs directly off the house bank.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 17:06   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

I like Samsung.

Finding a TV that small is going to be difficult these days.

Most TVs have some kind of audio output. What kind of audio inputs does your stereo have?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:35   #6

Boat: Brewer 12.8, 42'

As I recall we used a flat panel LED tv with a built in DVD Port on Tribute. It worked great. We had an antenna that we mounted on the top of a scrub brush handle stuck in a rod holder when we wanted to get off air tv. Not elegant but it worked.
jcdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:58   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I'd like to install a flat panel display in the boat that could be used for playing movies, cable and work. I've been out of the loop for the development of the new entertainment systems. I've seen displays hooked up without visible wires. I know that some devices can be connected via Bluetooth. Anyone have some suggestions on resources that describe the various options? I'm thinking a 24-30" display would be all I need. I already have a Bluetooth stereo. I'd like to connect the panel to the stereo and use the speakers already there. Thanks
We like our Majestic 12 volt 22" TV. Lots of inputs and it's a big display for a boat.

I modified an Apple TV box to be USB powered and works well connected to the USB port (for power) and HDMI port of the TV. I added a USB hub and can easily plug in thumb drives to play downloaded movies, add a Roku or Chrome stick, etc. No wires are visible.

In addition to the wall mount I added earthquake straps and the TV doesn't move even in big seas and high winds.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:27   #8

Boat: Hunter 386

This got me curious and I went looking. Seems there are quite a few wireless adapters for tvs/monitors where you can stream content straight to the display. I will have to look into it for myself as I was still planning on going the Apple tv route—this might make things easier power-wise.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:39   #9

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Almost any LCD flat screens these days appear to be 12 volt, just check the wall-wart.

Consider, however, that the "12v" system on your boat can normally run anywhere between 11v to 14v+ during charging. This could cause issues with the TV. I chose to run my sensitive electronics off a decent 12v-12v up/down power supply that ensures the electronics see a constant 12v. Not expensive, pretty easy.

Others prefer to use an inverter and run off 110vac. This can be less efficient electrically, but small inverters can be a good option, but only if they deliver true sine outputs.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:03   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

We wanted one that is really slim and ended up with a Samsung "Frame" TV. It's a big improvement on the monitor we used before as it has a simple wireless connection to any laptop.
Old 09-10-2021, 14:51   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

We got a 12v NAXA brand 24" HDTV-DVD combo for our Catalina 30. I have antenna wire running to the aft cockpit and modified 3-way 12v outlet, an antenna I attach to my collapsible boat hook and an Apple-TV to steam movies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin - Mount and TV.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	246631   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG6 and Ethernet Connections.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	246632  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Up.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	246633  
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 21:03   #12

Boat: Colegate 26

Probably the bigger issue is mounting options. Depending on where you're putting it you'll likely want some kind of wall mount swing arm, so the display needs to have a VESA mounting bracket on the back. Even though it's incredibly common, it's not universal. Make sure what you pick has the mounting options that you need.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
We like our Majestic 12 volt 22" TV. Lots of inputs and it's a big display for a boat.

I modified an Apple TV box to be USB powered and works well connected to the USB port (for power) and HDMI port of the TV. I added a USB hub and can easily plug in thumb drives to play downloaded movies, add a Roku or Chrome stick, etc. No wires are visible.

In addition to the wall mount I added earthquake straps and the TV doesn't move even in big seas and high winds.
Can you post some photos of your setup. It sounds great.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
This got me curious and I went looking. Seems there are quite a few wireless adapters for tvs/monitors where you can stream content straight to the display. I will have to look into it for myself as I was still planning on going the Apple tv route—this might make things easier power-wise.
Please put your findings here so everyone can benefit. I am intrigued. Thanks
Old 10-10-2021, 09:24   #15

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Can you post some photos of your setup. It sounds great.

Thanks, but all you would see in a photo is the TV mounted on a bulkhead, everything else is behind it!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men