Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2022, 04:27   #1

Boat: Amel 50
Hotspot for Canada

We are USA residents planning to spend some quality time on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes and are looking for suggestions for hotspot options. When I inquired to some carriers in the past (e.g. Rogers), I was told that you need to be a Canadian resident to obtain a hotspot with either a prepaid or subscription plan.

Has anybody found a good solution? Is there an American provider that offers a hotspot with roaming in Canada that doesn't require a second mortgage to pay the data charges? Or is there a way to source a hotspot in Canada without being a Canadian resident?

Thanks!
Old 20-06-2022, 04:42   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Hotspot for Canada

The data only plan I have from T-Mobile for the boat allows for up to 5GB of use in Canada per month after which you're throttled to a minimal 128kbps until the next cycle or you return to the US. So that won't cover a ton of use, but it's a start. Verizon and AT&T also offer decent data-only plans now, but I couldn't find a quick answer on where they stand for usage in Canada.

Another option might be to use an LTE or 5G router from Pepwave or similar, then you'd only need a suitable plan and SIM from a Canadian carrier, no hardware from them.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 04:49   #3

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

We're in Canada now, and using Google Fi. 50gb of data, on both sides of the border, for $65. So far, it's working well.

We also have Tmobile, and purchased a 15gb plan for $50 that works internationally. When you run out of data, you can re-up for another $50, and it will take effect immediately. We bought the international plan for our hotspot, and it works well.

So far, while in Canada, T-mobile, and Google Fi, have both used Telus.

We initially used up our 5gb from T-mobile fairly quickly (on one of our phones). But even after that, with patience, we could watch Netflix. It takes longer to load, but plays without issue, or pauses. I believe the downgrade is to 256 mbps, which can still work if you're not asking for Hd, on Netflix.

We had the same problem getting a Canadian plan, since we don't have a Canadian address. Sure we could borrow an address from a friend, but for Tax reasons, that wouldn't be prudent for us; we are both Canadian expats.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
Old 20-06-2022, 04:58   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
We're in Canada now, and using Google Fi. 50gb of data, on both sides of the border, for $65. So far, it's working well.

We also have Tmobile, and purchased a 15gb plan for $50 that works internationally. When you run out of data, you can re-up for another $50, and it will take effect immediately. We bought the international plan for our hotspot, and it works well.

So far, while in Canada, T-mobile, and Google Fi, have both used Telus.

We initially used up our 5gb from T-mobile fairly quickly (on one of our phones). But even after that, with patience, we could watch Netflix. It takes longer to load, but plays without issue, or pauses. I believe the downgrade is to 256 mbps, which can still work if you're not asking for Hd, on Netflix.

We had the same problem getting a Canadian plan, since we don't have a Canadian address. Sure we could borrow an address from a friend, but for Tax reasons, that wouldn't be prudent for us; we are both Canadian expats.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.

For Google Fi, is that a data only SIM or are you using a standard voice SIM in a router? Or are you just using a hotspot from a phone? In the searching I've done, it looks like you can only get a data-only SIM from Fi if you already have a voice line from them.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 05:47   #5

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

At the moment, we only have the phone and sim, which we're using as a hotspot. We have NOT tried the phone sim in our hotspot device. I heard somewhere that some companies frown on that, and may cut your service, so we haven't taken a chance with it. We just turn the phone into a hotspot, and use our t-mobile lines for text and phone service, with the international plan add-on.

We've ordered the data sim, but it's "en route" from our mail forwarding service.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
Canada