Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2010, 18:06   #1

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38
HF SSB Radio Frequencies for South Pacific, SE Asia and Australia

Our HF SSB radio requires each frequency to be preset and to do this we have to take the radio out and deliver it to someone who can do this for us. We want to make sure that we capture all of the marine frequencies that may be required now and into the future. Sailing this year will be from Brisbane Aust to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and return. (Our first bluewater trip). Future trips may include SE Asia, NZ and further afield in the Pacific.

Can anyone provide the frequencies I require or where I need to look to get them? Any tips or advice from complete HF SSB novices would be appreciated.
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 18:50   #2
Eternal Member

Here's a place to begin:
Marine and amateur radio net details, times and frequencies on SSB, Ham, HF and VHF for cruising yachts.

Here's a tip: spend time with your radio BEFORE you go. Successful SSB operation requires a substantial amount of learning and experience over time. You can't expect just to have the radio programmed, turn it on, and be able to communicate whenever/wherever you wish.

Learn the difference between marine SSB and ham radio (which is also SSB). Learn how to tell which are marine frequencies and which are ham frequencies.

Get some elementary books on marine SSB. If you're inclined, study for a ham exam and get your ham license. That will open a world of possibilities.

Learn to program your radio yourself. It's not hard. Doing so will provide some level of familiarity with the radio. Program in some net frequencies and listen to the set as much as you can, learning about propagation, interference, do's and don'ts.

Enlist some knowledgeable cruisers and/or hams to help with the basics.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 19:28   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
HF SSB radio frequencies for South Pacific, SE Asia. and Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHawk View Post
Our HF SSB radio requires each frequency to be preset and to do this we have to take the radio out and deliver it to someone who can do this for us.
Can anyone provide the frequencies I require or where I need to look to get them? Any tips or advice from complete HF SSB novices would be appreciated.
GypsyHawk,
Not knowing what radio you have, nor how many "channels" can be programmed into, I cannot give you an all encompassing answer, but I'll give you a LOT of info....

1) First off, most marine SSB radios will already have all the current ITU Maritime channels (both simplex and duplex) programmed into its permanant memory.....
So, it is quite possible that you really have nothing to worry about at all....
Perhaps you'll just need to make up a channel list, showing you what channels are used by what services, etc.....or maybe even some "favorite channels" programmed into a "user channel" list....

If you look at your radio's manual, you should be able to figure out this point....

2) Secondly, whether you are an avid ham radio operator, or not, will have an affect on what channels/frequencies may be a higher priority....

3) Of course making sure you have all the int'l GMDSS frequencies programmed in, which are monitored by USCG and other nation's shore stations, as well as used to communicate with other ships with distress, urgency, or safety traffic...is very important.....
2182, 4125, 6215, 8291, 12290, and 16420 khz......

4) Also including the int'l NAVTEX frequency (English language) of 518khz, might be of use, if you're considering using your SSB radio for NAVTEX weather reception.....
NAVTEX is a very viable weather source for your planned cruise....so, whether you install a dedicated NAVTEX receiver (my recommendation) or use your SSB radio to receive NAVTEX, it should be on your list.....

5) Having the Maritime Mobile Service Net / Pacific Seafarer's Net frequency of 14300khz programmed in is also a good idea.....as well as other promient ham radio frequencies....

6) If you're going to be using a PACTOR modem, for e-mail, etc. then you may also wish to make sure the pertanent sailmail and winlink frequencies are programmed in....
SailMail
Winlink 2000 | Global Radio Email System

7) Next, instead of typing all night and possibly telling you things you already know, I'll specifically refer you to some SSCA disc. board posts and websites with a wealth of information for you....
Be forewarned, there's a LOT of info here....from the Australian HF frequencies, Brunei HF frequencies, USCG frequencies, Shipcom KLB / WLO frequencies, sailmail and winlink frequencies, ham radio frequencies, GMDSS frequencies, etc. etc...

SSCA Discussion Board • View topic - shortwave marine weather forecasts in english?
Marine Weather Services
Brunei Bay Radio providing low cost HF SSB radio communications in SE Asia

NWS Radiofax
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/hfhi.txt
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/hfreyes.txt

USCG HF Voice

USCG HF SITOR

National Weather Service Marine Forecasts

HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

Marine and amateur radio net details, times and frequencies on SSB, Ham, HF and VHF for cruising yachts.

SailMail
Winlink 2000 | Global Radio Email System

NAVTEX
COMMERCIAL MARITIME COAST STATIONS and WEATHER NETS
AMATEUR "HAM" RADIO
MF & HF Channel Information - USCG Navigation Center
http://www.gmdss.com.au/
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/gmdss.htm

Maritime Safety Information

I do hope this helps....

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 01:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Free Oz Radio Handbook online...

The Australian Marine Radio Operator's handbook should have all of the official frequencies.

You should be able to find it online here. The frequencies should be in the appendices.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 19:00   #5

HF SSB marine frequencies

Not yet 24 hours and already some great responses. Thanks heaps.

The radio is a Codan 9323 (land version) which has been set up as a 9390 (marine version). Channels and frequencies were set up in 2001 so many are okay but there have been changes. The radio seems to have more than 400 channels.
Old 14-03-2010, 23:43   #6

Boat: Catalina 470
Codan 9390 Freq List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHawk View Post
The radio is a Codan 9323 (land version) which has been set up as a 9390 (marine version). Channels and frequencies were set up in 2001 so many are okay but there have been changes. The radio seems to have more than 400 channels.
1) Here's the Codan 9390 freq list....
http://www.lakecomm.com.au/downloads...0-NGT-2007.pdf

2) This list includes the MF/HF GMDSS freqs, all ITU maritime freqs, Aus HF freqs, Aus weather freqs, sailmail freqs, etc. etc....

3) You'll need to confirm your channel list, and make note of which services use which ITU freqs (such as USCG, Brunei, etc..).....and add a few channels would be a good idea....
a) Ham radio freqs, such as 14300, 14340, etc. etc.... (see earlier posts for links)
b) Winlink freqs...(see earlier posts for links)
c) USCG WeFax and SITOR freqs, as well as additional sailmail freqs and a few other specific freqs might be useful as you sail across the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean, etc....(see earlier posts for links)
d) I believe that the 9390 cannot receive below 1600khz, so NAVTEX reception (at 518khz) would not be possible....but getting a dedicated NAVTEX receiver is a good idea.....

I do hope this gets you what you need...

Fair winds...
John

P.S. See how brief and concise answers can be when adequate info is included in the questions....
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 00:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Foundation, MROCP

If you're an Aussie you do know you'll need the Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency, minimum of Foundation ham license, and probably set licenses for both the ham and marine frequencies!
Old 15-03-2010, 23:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
If you're an Aussie you do know you'll need the Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency, minimum of Foundation ham license, and probably set licenses for both the ham and marine frequencies!
Have MROCP and allocated call sign but unaware of other requirements to operate marine SSB.
Old 15-03-2010, 23:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
1) Here's the Codan 9390 freq list....
http://www.lakecomm.com.au/downloads...0-NGT-2007.pdf

2) This list includes the MF/HF GMDSS freqs, all ITU maritime freqs, Aus HF freqs, Aus weather freqs, sailmail freqs, etc. etc....

3) You'll need to confirm your channel list, and make note of which services use which ITU freqs (such as USCG, Brunei, etc..).....and add a few channels would be a good idea....
a) Ham radio freqs, such as 14300, 14340, etc. etc.... (see earlier posts for links)
b) Winlink freqs...(see earlier posts for links)
c) USCG WeFax and SITOR freqs, as well as additional sailmail freqs and a few other specific freqs might be useful as you sail across the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean, etc....(see earlier posts for links)
d) I believe that the 9390 cannot receive below 1600khz, so NAVTEX reception (at 518khz) would not be possible....but getting a dedicated NAVTEX receiver is a good idea.....

I do hope this gets you what you need...

Fair winds...
John

P.S. See how brief and concise answers can be when adequate info is included in the questions....
Yes being more specific helps. Thanks again. I am unfamiliar with NAVTEX. As far as I know this is not a system generally used in Australia.
Old 16-03-2010, 00:29   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Death of a thousand cuts...

If you have a look at the Australian Communications and Media Authority webpage on Marine Radio, Choices and Changes and scroll down to "Licensing of Ship and Coast Stations" you'll see the bit on getting a license.

From memory it's not a lot of money, but it needs to be paid every so often. Just another of the bills that just keep on rolling in.

Oh no, I think I'm becoming a Republican...

Tags
Asia, Australia, hf radio, radio, south pacific