Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2021, 05:33   #1

Help me choose RAYmarine or Garmin Plotter/AIS

I need advice on a new at helm chartplotter/MFD please. I like Garmin but.... boat has original Raymarine St 50-60 depth, speed and a newer raymarine heelpilot. The boat is a 1990 Beneteau 41S5.....I have neen looking at Raymarine Axion 9inch --there are a multitudeof with same basic model name at a wide price range . Seems like most require anothe 150bucks in cables and maybe a converter if i want my existing Raymarine seatalk used on the new plotter --PS I am not interested in any Sonar but want to get a new AIS that displays on the ne plotter/MFD... its all very confusing .........help & thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 05:35   #2

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Re: Help me choose RAYmarine or Garmin Plotter/AIS

Flip a coin and pick one, they’re all the same.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 05:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have always said, they are all the same- just the user interface is different.

But after delivering a boat with a new Axiom, my opinion changed. The standard Lighthouse charts are terrible. Take the time to go to a store and play with the Axiom. If you are getting radar, I found the system less-than-ideal.

The B&G user interface is a pain in the neck to learn, but once mastered is really a powerhouse.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 06:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Pros and cons to each.

First, unless they have recently changed, Ray Marine equipment uses their own, proprietary connectors where Garmin uses the industry standard Devicenet connectors. The RM connectors are smaller so easier to feed through small holes and claim to be more waterproof. The Devicenet connectors allow you to connect electronics from different manufacturers without adapters or problems. In my system I have a Garmin GPS/MFD, Simrad autopilot, B&G wind (but B&G and Simrad are now the same company), Vesper AIS and an old RM Tridata for speed and depth.

The Raymarine Tridata that uses their old Seatalk network. To avoid having to haul and replace the speed and depth transducers I purchased a Raymarine converter box that changed the old Seatalk to the new RM SeatalkNG which is software but not connector/plug compatible with NMEA2000. This required an adapter cable that connected the Seatalk NG to the Devicenet cables. Now they all talk to each other.

Other factors, my Garmin has been completely reliable, easy to use BUT Garmin support for their hardware goes away after just a few years when a new model comes out. If you do have problems with a 3-4 year old Garmin you could be screwed. Also Garmin only uses Garmin charts. So far they have been excellent but you are limited. Not sure about RM but some other companies do allow you to use charts from multiple sources.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 06:31   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I use Navionics on my Raymarine plotter. You can also use Lighthouse and Imray charts on Modern RM plotters.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 17:08   #6

Raymarine Axioms are very simple to operate and quite intuitive. I have a new Axiom 7+ Navionics platinum + wheel autopilot + sonar.

It's going to cost about the same either way you go for the MFD. The one issue that may sway you is that raymarine autopilot integrates nicely with raymarine MFD and controls from it. It will not work as well with Garmin, but basic operation will work from Garmin MFD.

Ideally, you want either all N2K network devices or a particular brand in order for everything to work in the best way possible. For example - if you can't integrate your wind instrument and speed through water with the MFD, some autopilot modes (even within the same brand) won't work correctly.

Raymarine support is pretty decent and you can extend the warranty just by registering with them. They have their own LightHouse charts or you can use Navionics (which is owned by Garmin by the way).

Lastly, if you want to replace Raymarine autopilot with a Garmin one - it will cost much more as Raymarine wheel pilot is the least expensive and simpler option.

Just some thoughts.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 17:21   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've only ever used Garmin products....it either came with the boat or I added it..but overall, I have no complaints, it has always worked well for me, so will likely continue to use Garmin...
I think most people adapt to the equipment on their boat, whether new or used.

If I bought a boat that was equipped with Raymarine, I'd likely continue to get Raymarine.

As above, little difference in price or performance or reliability. User friendliness might be a deciding factor, but again, people that have Raymarine are likely familiar with their equipment, same goes for Garmin folks.

At the end of the day, user friendliness might be the deciding factor, but that would be entirely up to the OP
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 18:24   #8

ok. let me throw a different quirk into the mix.
we were on a trip.. on st60 wind stopped working..I check voltages. all seemed
ok from the mast head unit.. the st70 unit per specs supports the seatalk1 like the st60..BUT NO!!! it's seatalkNG..need a converter for it to work..yes it will work with ST60 mast head unit. I tested it..but my current layout..I cannot run a converter cable to where the ST70 needs to mount.

turns out the mast head unit lost 2 connection..and a simple unplug and replug fixed the problem.

-dkenny64
we have a ES128..but its having its own problems..
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 18:49   #9

Garmin uses Navionics charts. Garmin now owns Navionics. Very easy to interface your old ray wind/depth/speed with a Seatalk to N2k converter. All manufactures offer little support to equipment over 5 years old these days.
rphdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 19:30   #10

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

OK, my last 5 Raymarine purchases only 2 have worked as advertised. Wind instrument never worked at all even after 2 trips back to Raymarine. Autopilot 4000+ would never steer a straight line even after hours on the phone with "tech support" while underway. I40 sounder great after 30' but under that it is erratic. Support says "it's working fine! I40 knot meter is working fine. The new P70 autopilot also works OK. It cannot changed from true to magnetic or visa versa without an upgrade. That requires an expensive service service call. I would buy Garmin. I have their chart potter, sonar and Radar. They all work perfectly with fantastic customer support. Just my experiences.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 20:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphdiego View Post
Garmin uses Navionics charts. Garmin now owns Navionics. Very easy to interface your old ray wind/depth/speed with a Seatalk to N2k converter. All manufactures offer little support to equipment over 5 years old these days.

NO!..depends on the instrument layout.....
my ST60 are not easy to get to the seatalk1 - seaNG converter... think 45ft...thru a narrow channel at the mast..
yes the actual interface working is easy.. I have it, but the connection to the St60's is not easy..my ES128, and older autopilot all talk.. including the xb-8000(AIS)
so easy..depends..yes it works..I cannot run the backbone cable to a ST70 where my ST60 is located..not my choice, but its the my boat is wired..and not easy to change..
-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 22:03   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I bought a Garmin hand held GPS receiver and they designed the interface UPSIDE DOWN. Then they wanted 400 euros for a chart of northern Europe. That seems to be almost twice has much as Navionics, which Garmin now owns.

I think there are designers at Garmin who know nothing about sailing.

I have been using Raymarine for 14 years and have had good luck with their service. I emphasize the word "luck".
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 00:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Do NOT Buy any Plotters! Use an AIS with NMEA to WLAN Converter and use common Tablets or Notebooks for <= 200 USD. You can buy 5-10 for the price of one plotter.

Keep it simple. What I do not have can not brake.

Charts: most of them uses dongles on PC's and can be implemented in OpenCPN without any problems.Search for CM93 too.These charts are OK to give you a pretty good overview and then: WATCH OUT!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 03:46   #14

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. Our ST60 sailing instruments are approaching 20 years old, our Garmin Chartplotter is 7+ years old, and while our stand-alone AIS does integrate with the chartplotter it, too, is 8+ years old. All have developed "issues" and I'm guessing a new system is coming sooner rather than later.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 03:56   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

If you get rid of the ST60 drop me a note. I am interrested at a reasonable price.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, garmin, marine, raymarine