Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2024, 11:16   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Help a Networking Dummy with a Networking Problem

I suspect this is not a hard question for anyone with a modicum of networking knowledge, but that would not be me.

This concerns an Ethernet network.

I have two B&G plotters, a B&G radar, and a Navico Go Free module which are all connected together with Ethernet.

Besides that, I use OpenCPN at the nav table, which is connected to the main boat network with Ethernet.

I recently added a B&G H5000 computer which is connected to my nav table computer with Ethernet.

I am about to revive my Ubiquiti Bullet strong wifi access point, which needs to distribute its connection by wifi.

How best to organize all these connections?

Should I buy a wifi router, and plug the three connections which need to go into the nav table computer into that? 1. connection to boat network; 2. connection to H5000; 3. connection to Ubiquiti bullet.

Will that work? Is it risky to mix internet access with boat network?

Other configurations would be better?

I could, for example, buy a small non-wifi switch, connect boat network and H5000 to that and that to nav table computer.

And connect the Bullet to its own wifi router.

More knowledgeable suggestions and tips will be gratefully received!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 13:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: Help a Networking Dummy with a Networking Problem

Hi Dockhead,

This type of design/support is what I do.. If you want help getting this all figured out as a complete system, let me know.. Check out options here: https://seatech.systems/diy-central/mea-subscriptions/

-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I suspect this is not a hard question for anyone with a modicum of networking knowledge, but that would not be me.

This concerns an Ethernet network.

I have two B&G plotters, a B&G radar, and a Navico Go Free module which are all connected together with Ethernet.

Besides that, I use OpenCPN at the nav table, which is connected to the main boat network with Ethernet.

I recently added a B&G H5000 computer which is connected to my nav table computer with Ethernet.

I am about to revive my Ubiquiti Bullet strong wifi access point, which needs to distribute its connection by wifi.

How best to organize all these connections?

Should I buy a wifi router, and plug the three connections which need to go into the nav table computer into that? 1. connection to boat network; 2. connection to H5000; 3. connection to Ubiquiti bullet.

Will that work? Is it risky to mix internet access with boat network?

Other configurations would be better?

I could, for example, buy a small non-wifi switch, connect boat network and H5000 to that and that to nav table computer.

And connect the Bullet to its own wifi router.

More knowledgeable suggestions and tips will be gratefully received!
Old 04-03-2024, 15:47   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

What is the main boat network?

The problem is at layer 3: you probably have three different IP networks, using three DHCP servers for assigning IP addresses to devices.

When you want wifi to connect to these, it won’t work by just plugging them all in the same switch.

Why do you want access to the B&G plotters/radar Ethernet? I could easily do that aboard Jedi but opted not to do it because of running into bugs and not very stable, reliable setup, while the only benefit would be the radar usable in OpenCPN.

I have no idea about the H5000.

I recommend you first define what you want to achieve and how important it is. Also, realize that when you make, for example, yourB&G equipment reliant on a DHCP server in a router, then that router has become a critical and required component of the installation.

My current setup has a Mikrotik router and Netgeat POE+ switch and wifi AP. On that network I have Starlink, cameras, entertainment systems and an NMEA2000 gateway. I let B&G do its own thing.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 12:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What is the main boat network?

The problem is at layer 3: you probably have three different IP networks, using three DHCP servers for assigning IP addresses to devices.

When you want wifi to connect to these, it won’t work by just plugging them all in the same switch.

Why do you want access to the B&G plotters/radar Ethernet? I could easily do that aboard Jedi but opted not to do it because of running into bugs and not very stable, reliable setup, while the only benefit would be the radar usable in OpenCPN.

I have no idea about the H5000.

I recommend you first define what you want to achieve and how important it is. Also, realize that when you make, for example, yourB&G equipment reliant on a DHCP server in a router, then that router has become a critical and required component of the installation.

My current setup has a Mikrotik router and Netgeat POE+ switch and wifi AP. On that network I have Starlink, cameras, entertainment systems and an NMEA2000 gateway. I let B&G do its own thing.

That sounds like a good solution. What I hope to accomplish is simple -- I want all this on my ship's computer I don't need to connect the B&G network to the other networks but I need to have them all on one computer. How to do that?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 06-03-2024, 15:03   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That sounds like a good solution. What I hope to accomplish is simple -- I want all this on my ship's computer I don't need to connect the B&G network to the other networks but I need to have them all on one computer. How to do that?
I want a huge safe filled with gold.

The question is why you want to interconnect all that? Are you going to use the radar on the computer and don’t you care about reliability?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 12:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I want a huge safe filled with gold.

The question is why you want to interconnect all that? Are you going to use the radar on the computer and don’t you care about reliability?

I don't want to interconnect anything.

I just want to be able to:

1. Use OpenCPN including the radar plugin

2. Control my H5000

3. Distribute internet connection from the Bullet around the boat.

None of these has anything to do with anything else, and don't need to be done at the same time.

I accomplish this already by unplugging and replugging the three different Ethernet connections to my board computer.

My very simple wish is to be able to do that without fiddling with the plugs. Is that really too much to ask?
Walt Whitman
Old 08-03-2024, 12:41   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Using a Ubiquiti Bullet is a lot overkill. How far apart are your components? The Bullet is really best used as a client or point to point radio. I have one at the top of my mast to connect to wifi networks over long range.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 23:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Using a Ubiquiti Bullet is a lot overkill. How far apart are your components? The Bullet is really best used as a client or point to point radio. I have one at the top of my mast to connect to wifi networks over long range.
Yes, I'm using it as a client to connect to wifi networks over longer ranges. Not as an AP - brain fart. Mine is on the first spreader 10m above the waterline.

I've been using these for many years. They became really useful again a few years ago when harbours in my part of the world starting installing really good wifi. Sometimes, however, we are further away from the AP than desirable and the Bullet really helps.

One issue in crowded harbours is interference between many different 2.4ghz devices. The Bullet helps connect to a 5ghz AP over longer distance, which really helps with this problem.

For this you need one of the newer dual band ones.
Walt Whitman

Tags
network, work