Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 06:30   #31

Boat: 1991 Lagoon 55
Re: Has this boat suffered a lightning strike?

I've seen results like this on damaged LCD computer screens on the hard. This looks like the LCD screen has suffered water damage - probably because it was insufficiently protected when it was raining (assuming the damage occurred on the hard). Highly unlikely that this is a lightning strike.
JamesANGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:36   #32

The most likely cause is heat which de-laminated the LCD screen.
jreyn1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:02   #33

Boat: Lagoon 500

Have had 2 lightning strikes. Everything that had a PCB was dead. All displays, electronic engine control, autopilot, washing machine...the lot!
No obvious visual damage on any screens..
AndyinAbudhabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:05   #34

The screen damage is not caused by lightning. This is a LCD screen failure. This can be a result of the screen being physically damaged or moisture.

A lightning hit, if reported, dramatically lowers the value of the boat due to hidden damage that may not surface till long after the survey.

A knowledgeable surveyor can spot lightning damage such as tracks from ground bus bars, melted wire insulation, etc.

If a lightning hit is suspected the boat definitely needs to be pulled and all thru-hole fittings, shafts, etc. inspected, as they carry the lightning current to the water and may of sustained damage.
BadnBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:23   #35

Sounds like you flew to the boat site and intend to fly there again. I agree with the suggestions about batteries. Looking at recent TSA restrictions on batteries, they allow two 160 watt hours each batteries to be in carry on luggage only, however there are also restrictions on <100 watt hour batteries (as many as you like in carry on) To get watt hours is AH x voltage so a 5ah 12v SLA battery is 60 watt hours. Given the possibility of getting a TSA agent unfamiliar with the two 160 watt hours each rule, I'd go with 2 batteries less than 100 watt hours each. At Walmart for example you can get a 5ah 12v SLA battery for $15 each so $30 would allow you to test 12/24v DC electronics/circuits. Make sure to bring the batteries in their original cardboard box and make sure the batteries themselves clearly have the AH and voltage printed on them. I'd recommend you bring enough slip on terminals to wire up two batteries in serial to get 24v. I would not bring electrical wires with you on the plane for obvious security reasons- get the wire from the boat or boat site. Be sure to check with TSA and carrier before buying batteries to make sure there has been no change in rules or airline/foreign port does not have any greater restrictions.
drcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:43   #36

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

My boat has been hit by lightning 3 times when moored; very little visible damage the 2nd 2 times. No melted wires anywhere - just fried electronics, the paddlewheel knocked off from the knotmeter, and the masthead whip antenna knocked off. First time blew a hole through the hull where some moisture was trapped in the hull behind the batteries - that one was probably a direct hit.

A friend's boat had pinhole perforations in the hull at the waterline after a strike.

Lightning is unpredictable - millions of volts looking for a home are the boss.

Maybe the broker can dig up a battery and some jumper cables to test the systems.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:53   #37

Very doubtful that is result of strike. I had similar issue with 1986 Furuno 1411 72NM color radar. Took it to outstanding tech in Kemah, TX and he diagnosed with bad video board and replaced. I have seen two boats with direct strikes. Severe and obvious damage to both.
Batt7dfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:38   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I, had a lighting strike. All electronics fried no nothing . One thing was present the smell of fried wires instruments ect.
This smell lingered for years after all was replaced.
Another words Smell it.I, seriously doubt anything would appear if struck by lighting. Is there a vhf if so look and try to power that up lighting blue my vhf antenna off the mast fried the radio.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:54   #39

If you went over the boat carefully and saw nothing else that seemed to be lighting damage, then think it's a safe bet that the boat wasn't hit by lightening.I agree that this doesn't look like lightning and in my experience, there's almost always some obvious item that screams "lightening" - like a melted VHF whip.

Because these electronics are outdated, don't expect the seller to reduce the price by the cost of new ones. He'll know that any purchaser will have to update the electronics anyways. The price adjustment you'll get for this screen probably won't pay for your lunch.

Your bigger problem is that a boat abandoned on the hard in a hot/humid climate for five years is not worth much. Large cruising boats have to be maintained to hold their value. No sailboat deserves such treatment.

But it's a safe bet that the sort of irresponsible owner who would treat his boat like this is the type of owner who thinks it's still worth what he sees for similar boats in Yachtworld. I think you'll have a frustrating time closing this deal because the owner will balk at a low ball (but appropriate) offer.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:11   #40

It's hard to conclude that that is a strike. Good advice above. Can you see the top of the mast up close? Often a strike will include carbon trails on the mast itself... black carbon lines. And most often a melted windex and or VHF antenna.
I had a strike on my 47 and it didn't fry anything other than the windex.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 13:39   #41

All of tha above advise is good, except that if it was a lightening strike, then it might have also affected or Fried the engine electrics.

For instance, I know a guy in NC that took a lightening strike and the motor would start but would not shift. Apparently, the surge probably went out the prop. Which leads to the next item; how well , if at all, is the boat grounded; is is the grounding done properly, are there burn or melted contacts, etc.

I agree with the prior writer, get a 12 v battery and power up stuff; check that the battery switc(s) not burnt, etc. this may be a case where y should just walk, no run away.
Capt Steve
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 13:59   #42

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Not lightning; screen delamination. Regardless, the unit looks like it's been handled rough and stored improperly and if that's indicative of the condition of the boat in-general, you are in for a major overhaul inside and out.

DO NOT make an offer without a competent buyers appraisal (not a sellers appraisal), with surveyors e$timate for remediation. You need an objective set of eyes, unless you've done a lot of work yourself and know from experience that things always take twice as much money and 3x the time as estimated. (Add your own travel expense to that and extra time/expense of shipping materials to the islands).

Good luck!

PS - for those advising to bring batteries, FAA regs require that batteries fly in the passenger compartment (not checked baggage). Wire must be in checked baggage, but will draw scrutiny for security reasons. The OP can buy batteries and wire anywhere, and IMHO he's better off buying in the islands or shipping to the marina from Amazon or local island supplier. A 4x 6-volt lantern batteries strung together in series or series/parallel should be fine for testing.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 16:01   #43

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcat View Post
Make sure to bring the batteries in their original cardboard box and make sure the batteries themselves clearly have the AH and voltage printed on them. I'd recommend you bring enough slip on terminals to wire up two batteries in serial to get 24v. …. Be sure to check with TSA and carrier before buying batteries to make sure there has been no change in rules or airline/foreign port does not have any greater restrictions.
If it was me I'd not carry batteries or wire on the plane. Go to a nearby store which sells auto parts and buy motorcycle batteries and wire. Maybe bring your own tools.

By the way, I like that boat, but if the electronics are bad, make sure the price reflects that. This is a big, well equipped, great sailing boat. If it is in your price range, and you are prepared to have a bit of a project, the electronics should not be an obstacle, and you should spend the money to check it out, including survey.

If your budget is so tight that you can't deal with the cost of batteries, etc, then you can't afford to keep up this boat, let alone get it back in good shape.

My estimate for maintaining this boat is $50k to $70K per year.
Old 07-01-2019, 16:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
If it was me I'd not carry batteries or wire on the plane. Go to a nearby store which sells auto parts and buy motorcycle batteries and wire. Maybe bring your own tools.

By the way, I like that boat, but if the electronics are bad, make sure the price reflects that. This is a big, well equipped, great sailing boat. If it is in your price range, and you are prepared to have a bit of a project, the electronics should not be an obstacle, and you should spend the money to check it out, including survey.

If your budget is so tight that you can't deal with the cost of batteries, etc, then you can't afford to keep up this boat, let alone get it back in good shape.

My estimate for maintaining this boat is $50k to $70K per year.
What boat are you talking about? other than a picture of a damaged MFD in the OP's first post i can find no more info at all on the vessel in question, certainly nothing to be making a call on annual maintenance costs.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:43   #45

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
What boat are you talking about? other than a picture of a damaged MFD in the OP's first post i can find no more info at all on the vessel in question, certainly nothing to be making a call on annual maintenance costs.....
The name of this vessel is “Spica” she is on Yacht World.

2010 50’ Alliage Locates in Florida

Listed with :

United Yacht Sales

My annual maint estimate is based on 10-20% of original purchase price per year, which must have been between $500-$750 thousand dollars. Am I wrong, I could be.

Tags
boat, lightning