Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 15:48   #16

Boat: Cal-40
Re: Handheld VHF with USB-C charging

I have a Standard Horizon hand held VHF that charges via USB cord. Works nice.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 18:01   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by acunningham View Post
USB PD uses the USB-C connector, and is fully compatible with it. USB-C is the latest connector, and likely to be so for some time.
Yes, the connector is the same. But to use the extra voltage, both the socket and the device need to support PD. You can't just use any old C connector and expect to take advantage of the higher voltage and current capabilities of PD.

Likewise, there are different generations of "C" which support various power levels.

Then there's Apple, which has their own evolution of incompatible standards.

The simple reality is that there is no "standard" and probably never will be.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 23:00   #18

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
I have a Standard Horizon hand held VHF that charges via USB cord. Works nice.

Is it USB-C, or some other USB connector? If USB-C, then that's very interesting. Which model is it?
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 23:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Yes, the connector is the same. But to use the extra voltage, both the socket and the device need to support PD. You can't just use any old C connector and expect to take advantage of the higher voltage and current capabilities of PD.

Likewise, there are different generations of "C" which support various power levels.

Then there's Apple, which has their own evolution of incompatible standards.

The simple reality is that there is no "standard" and probably never will be.

Sure that's not going to make a difference for charging a VHF handset? I can't imagine a handheld radio drawing more than the standard 100W when charging.
Old 16-09-2021, 00:26   #20

I have looked recently into the same thing and haven't found any using USB-C. I finally went with the Icom M25 with the typical phone-USB (Micro-USB I think).

Now having it used a little, I can see why charging via USB is more for the recreational market. All those connectors are fiddly. The professional approach with the charging cradle makes a lot more sense when you use the unit day-in day-out.

I guess you'll have to wait another generation or two until the Mirco-USB used in most solutions is replaced by USB-C or you'll just need a USB-C to whatever cable to charge it from your USB-C hub. The latter is what I do.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 00:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
I have looked recently into the same thing and haven't found any using USB-C. I finally went with the Icom M25 with the typical phone-USB (Micro-USB I think).

Now having it used a little, I can see why charging via USB is more for the recreational market. All those connectors are fiddly. The professional approach with the charging cradle makes a lot more sense when you use the unit day-in day-out.

I guess you'll have to wait another generation or two until the Mirco-USB used in most solutions is replaced by USB-C or you'll just need a USB-C to whatever cable to charge it from your USB-C hub. The latter is what I do.

Thank you, that's good information about fiddly connectors. Yes, the Icom M25 is MicroUSB. As you say, I might give up on USB-C for this, and buy one with a cradle such as the Icom M37E (which also appears to support MicroUSB for charging ashore).
Old 16-09-2021, 01:23   #22

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

USB A/B/C are already a thing of the past all my new gadgets, phone, earbuds, headphones have Qi wireless charging. Ideal for marine stuff when it catches up as the units can be completely sealed and no connections to get corroded. There will come a time when charging pads are the norm and provided the supply to these is adequate then cables become redundant even data transfer can be done by wifi. Having a series of hardwired charging pads dotted around the boat will be the way to go.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 01:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
USB A/B/C are already a thing of the past all my new gadgets, phone, earbuds, headphones have Qi wireless charging. Ideal for marine stuff when it catches up as the units can be completely sealed and no connections to get corroded. There will come a time when charging pads are the norm and provided the supply to these is adequate then cables become redundant even data transfer can be done by wifi. Having a series of hardwired charging pads dotted around the boat will be the way to go.

That's a really good idea for small devices where the wireless charging losses don't matter. Is there a handheld VHF that supports Qi wireless charging?
Old 16-09-2021, 01:59   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Micro usb simply isn’t robust enough to a good connector. Particularly the attachment to the pcb is weak
Old 16-09-2021, 02:51   #25

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by acunningham View Post
That's a really good idea for small devices where the wireless charging losses don't matter. Is there a handheld VHF that supports Qi wireless charging?

The marine industry is always a little behind. When you are teaching your grandson or daughter to sail they will likely have fusion powered or satellite charged devices and will find your charging pad equipped vessel to be an amusing antique.

As far as HHVHF is concerned a 12v cradle is still the best solution and least prone to corrosion IMO.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 04:07   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Maybe the dissenting opinion, but USB C/PD/SS/Thunderbolt cables and connectors suck. There simply is not enough contact area to support what with PD is now 240W. Add some humidity in a salt environment, and it is a significant fire hazard. I have replaced too many burned up cables to endorse them on a boat. I reluctantly have them, because that is what is available. For handheld radios, I use the kind that have a charge cradle, and charge from 12V.

I agree. I have a long list of cable failures too.
Old 16-09-2021, 05:59   #27

Is this really a problem??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 07:01   #28

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Is this really a problem??
No it's a desire.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 07:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
No it's a desire.

Indeed. I could, and most likely will, buy one with a charging cradle. But USB-C would be nice, so that I can have just one or two chargers and cables for all my small electronics.
Old 27-09-2021, 06:43   #30

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We have the ICOM M25. It is a decent handset and the battery life is remarkable. Yes, MicroUSB is fiddly. USB-C would be better for our application.

Our Standard Horizon HX870 handheld is a much better VHF radio. But, battery life is short and the 120V charger is finicky.

We have a Blue Sky USB charge port in our cockpit. I hit it with CorrosionX occasionally. They last about a year. In my experience, USB cables last about 72 hours in the cockpit; one of the downsides of using an ipad for navigation. We use Navionics on an ipad for route planning and keep it below. We usually kill a charge cable on a passage. I have tried cleaning them with a kit, isopropyl, and buffing them. No resurrections.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, vhf