Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: HAM, Marine SSB, Other?
HAM only 21 10.66%
Marine SSB only 57 28.93%
Both 88 44.67%
Other (sat phone, etc. please specify) 33 16.75%
No long range communication device 25 12.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2012, 19:24   #196

Re: HAM, Marine SSB, Other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
The FCC ID for the 802 certification is AFJIC-M802, but I haven't been able to find the text of that certification.
Bill, you can plug that number into the FCC's OET equipment authorization search page and view the complete certificate of compliance submitted by the testing lab. There are also internal/external M802 photo's, the RF exposure test and user manual. The M802 is only tested on the marine bands, not tested on the ham bands.

Iv'e used this site for many years. Depending on what the manufacturer wants to provide, you can sometimes find schematics and/or complete service manuals here. It can be a great source of info but sometimes they provide virtually nothing for public viewing.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 20:16   #197
Eternal Member

Thanks, Eric. Very helpful.

It appears from the information on that site that the FCC certification for the M802 was issued in July 2002, and that it was for maritime use only.

I seem to recall that this radio was at some earlier point marketed with the flexibility to do both ham and marine actually touted. I've seen many references to this, including in the reviews section of QRZ.com. And, there can be little doubt that the design of this transceiver lends itself to much wider use than maritime only.

Maybe the designers and marketing folks got out ahead of the regulators? Or, for whatever reason Icom decided not to seek approval for multi-service use?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 04:16   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Maybe the designers and marketing folks got out ahead of the regulators?
Probably so. Same goes for the advertised increased talk power via DSP speech compression which is not even enabled. The average power output of this radio is pitiful and considerably lower than the M710 but the M802 rocks with it enabled. Apparently, it will not pass emission testing with it enabled.

I had never seen the M802 advertised as ham capable by IcomAmerica. I do recall some user channels being programmed with ham freq's for receive only.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:41   #199

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Re: Yaesu 600, etc., (I've been jumping links, so I hope I have placed this post in the right spot.)

The discussion has been interesting and I ran down a bit of info on the 600. I'm short of time so I'll pass this link on for others to explore:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor..._id=K66-600LMR

Perhaps a telephone call to FCC resources in DC will generate definitive info; put a bureaucrat to work.

Roger
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 06:34   #200
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
Re: Yaesu 600, etc., (I've been jumping links, so I hope I have placed this post in the right spot.)

The discussion has been interesting and I ran down a bit of info on the 600. I'm short of time so I'll pass this link on for others to explore:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor..._id=K66-600LMR

Perhaps a telephone call to FCC resources in DC will generate definitive info; put a bureaucrat to work.

Roger
No need, Roger. The bureaucrats have already done their work!

The link you provided IS the authorization under Parts 87 & 90.

End of the issue, IMO.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote