Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2008, 11:32   #1

Question Ham Licensing Levels

Is there significant benefit, for offshore sailing, to upgrade from General to Extra?

Thanks,
Norm
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 11:58   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Only if you enjoy ham radio IMO. The general takes care of SSB.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 07:49   #3

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
General gives you the privileges only. Amateur Extra Class is really more technical mumbojumbo that 90% of anyone needs. I hold an Extra Class license, but I'm a radio guy and have been all my life (started out as a little kid listening to shortwaves instead of the FM radio).

Extra simply gives you a few more band privileges that General class doesn't, but they are pretty insignificant as far as the bandwidth goes.

So, as the Cabo said, only if you're really into ham radio, experimenting and doing "cool stuff" with antennas, would you bother.

(As an example, I taught electronic theory and physics for six years and I still had to take the Extra test twice before I passed it and then I passed by one question - I didn't ACE it. It's a tough test.)

If you want HF privs though - go General. Technician class has voice only in the 10meter band between 28.350 and 28.400 Mhz. General opens up all the bands including 20 meters which is usually good most times of the day and night.

good luck (and feel free to give me a holler if you need some help with the theory!)

Rick, N0NJY

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 11:27   #4

Thanks guys. I recently passed the Technical and General exams in preparation to off cruising again and didn't know if it was worth going further.

The last time I did any voyaging was before there was electricity so this stuff is all new to me.

Norm
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 11:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Thanks guys. I recently passed the Technical and General exams in preparation to off cruising again and didn't know if it was worth going further.

The last time I did any voyaging was before there was electricity so this stuff is all new to me.

Norm
lol

Before electricity? wow.... 1800s?

I started with radios when I was a child - and was repairing them at about the age of 10. I worked with vacuum tubes a lot in those days. My soldering iron was about 250watts and you still used flux in a jar or bottle to get the solder to flow well.

But... we had electricity.

Old 27-10-2008, 11:56   #6
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
Ham and SSB license

I will soon be applying for my SSB and Ham license. Is it necesarry to have both? Is there a ham class license that covers both so you only need one license? Which is the better for over all usage?
What to do, what to do, what to do?

If I understand it correctly there are some overlap areas in the radio license classes. I just am not sure where they are. Is anyone able to really clairify it for me?
Old 27-10-2008, 12:05   #7

Ham radio and Marine usages are different so there is no amateur radio license class "that covers both" and there is "no overlap". Different bands, different uses (though you might consider that there are many cruisers out there that use both so that could be called 'overlap' in that respect).

As I understand it - you need the SSb license for using any of the frequencies that mariners use.

I am not licensed currently for SSB use in those frequencies so am not as familiar - but I can point you in the right direction in relation to Amateur radio.

Amateur radio is a separate service and has dedicated bands that are broken down by the types of emissions used (like CW or Morse Code, and other digital RF emission types or voice).

I think there was another discussing thread here on this forum about the ins-and-outs regarding licensing too.

Old 27-10-2008, 12:21   #8

Boat: islandpacket
When I applied for my ship station and vhf radio, I just paid for the marine SSB along with regerstrating my mmis (sp) numbers. I have not used any of it yet but it just cost $ and no test. You can apply online and get it in a matter of days. Check FCC. If i find the link I will post it.
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 12:26   #9

Nautical Know How - Marine Radio Information for Boaters

They have a bunch of answers in the FAQ there but it is generally about marine VHF and not HF or Ham.

Old 27-10-2008, 12:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
I will soon be applying for my SSB and Ham license. Is it necesarry to have both?
What kind of radio do you have? If it's a marine radio and is installed on your boat, it is a marine station and MUST have a marine station license and operator permit. If it's a ham radio, it cannot be used for transmit on the marine bands and no marine license would be required. You will need a ham license to operate on ham bands.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 13:56   #11
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
Ok guys, That pretty much clears it up.
I have not bought an SSB yet, or a Ham for that matter, but it's on the list. I know that there is no test for SSB/VHF and I knew about the station and operator license, but like everyone else I always hope for an easier way. You have answered my question and I am grateful...
Thanks.
Old 28-10-2008, 07:06   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
About the only reason I can think of for getting an 'extra' ham license is the license allows you to be a Volunteer Examiner (VE) and administer ham tests for all grades of license. The extra test is actually pretty easy to pass, now that the 21 wpm code requirement is gone, but studying for it is not likely to make you a better ham operator, and the general class ;icense will give you all the operating priviliges you really need.

KK6DQ (extra)
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 07:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
About the only reason I can think of for getting an 'extra' ham license is the license allows you to be a Volunteer Examiner (VE) and administer ham tests for all grades of license. The extra test is actually pretty easy to pass, now that the 21 wpm code requirement is gone, but studying for it is not likely to make you a better ham operator, and the general class ;icense will give you all the operating priviliges you really need.

KK6DQ (extra)
Ummm I wouldn't say the test is EASY to pass minus the 21 wpm code requirement and I've been involved with and teaching electronics, radio theory and physics for most of my life.

Then again, I passed it many years back now, and it's changed some. Let me see... here's some current questions:

In what application is gallium arsenide used as a semiconductor material in preference to germanium or silicon?

What is the principal characteristic of a Zener diode?

What is the recommended power supply voltage for TTL series integrated circuits?

How is the electron beam deflected in a vidicon?

If a receiver tuned to 146.70 MHz receives an intermodulation-product signal whenever a nearby transmitter transmits on 146.52 MHz, what are the two most likely frequencies for the other interfering signal?

Which of these filter bandwidths would be a good choice for use in a SSB radiotelephone transmitter?

For what portion of a signal cycle does a Class AB amplifier operate?

How are the capacitors and inductors of a low-pass filter Pi-network arranged between the network's input and output?

What are three major oscillator circuits often used in Amateur Radio equipment?

What is the radiation pattern of two 1/4-wavelength vertical antennas spaced 1/2-wavelength apart and fed 180 degrees out of phase?

What is the effective radiated power of a repeater station with 150 watts transmitter power output, 2-dB feed line loss, 2.2-dB duplexer loss and 7-dBd antenna gain?

How long does it take for an initial charge of 20 V DC to decrease to 7.36 V DC in a 0.01-microfarad capacitor when a 2-megohm resistor is connected across it?

What, if any, are the differences between the radiation produced by radioactive materials and the electromagnetic energy radiated by an antenna?

Under what circumstances may a dealer sell an external RF power amplifier capable of operation below 144 MHz if it has not been granted FCC certification?

Which of the following techniques is normally used by low-earth orbiting digital satellites to relay messages around the world?

If a frequency counter with a specified accuracy of +/- 0.1 ppm reads 146,520,000 Hz, what is the most the actual frequency being measured could differ from the reading?

=====

Anyway, you get the point. I guess these questions aren't as difficult as the testing I took for Extra. In fact, I recall a vast amount of mathematical calculations on bandwidth, antennas element lengths and so forth.

However, it is true, if you want to be helpful become a Volunteer Examiner so that others will have access to people to proctor the tests in their areas.

Old 28-10-2008, 07:34   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
ARG has a lot of free study guides & test questions:

Index of /downloads/study

http://alphalpha.us/downloads/study/..._Equations.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 07:43   #15

Go here: ARRLWeb: Exam Session Search for a list of all testing across the nation.

Go here: QRZ Ham Radio for practice tests and also:

AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice

eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams

KB0MGA.net Practice Ham Radio Exams Home

W8MHB Michael Burkhardt's Ham Radio Shacketeria

All of those are free. Don't bother with the "pay" places, please.