Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19   #1

Boat: Lancer 36 at Mission Bay, San Diego
Licensing question

If I have a "General Radiotelephone Operator License"(FCC now calls it a "Commercial Operators License"), do I still need to apply for a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit" to operate VHF,SSB,Radar etc. outside of USA?

Thanks in advance
Forrest
WindDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From the FCC site: http://www.fcc.gov/wtb/commoperators/

”You need a commercial radio operator license to operate the following:
* Ship radio stations if:
o the vessel carries more than six passengers for hire; or
o the radio operates on medium or high frequencies; or
o the ship sails to foreign ports; or
o the ship is larger than 300 gross tons and is required to carry a radio station for safety purposes.

* Coast stations which operate on medium or high frequencies, or operate with more than 1,500 watts of peak envelope power.

* Aircraft radio stations, except those that use only VHF frequencies on domestic flights.

* International fixed public radiotelephone and radiotelegraph stations.

* Coast and ship stations transmitting radiotelegraphy.

You do NOT need a commercial radio operator license to operate the following:

* Coast stations operating on VHF frequencies with 250 watts or less of carrier power.

* Ship stations operating only on VHF frequencies while sailing on domestic voyages.

* Aircraft stations which operate only on VHF frequencies and do not make foreign flights.
NOTE: Possession of a commercial radio operator license or permit does not authorize an individual to operate amateur or GMRS radio stations. Only a person holding an amateur or GMRS radio operator license may operate an amateur or GMRS radio station.”

Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RP)
Description

RP holders are authorized to operate most aircraft and aeronautical ground stations. They can also operate marine radiotelephone stations aboard pleasure craft (other than those carrying more than six passengers for hire on the Great Lakes or bays or tidewaters or in the open sea) when operator licensing is required. An RP is NOT needed to operate the following:

* a voluntarily equipped ship or aircraft station (including a CAP station) which operates only on VHF frequencies and does not make foreign voyages or flights.

* an aeronautical ground or coast station which operates only on VHF frequencies.

* on-board stations.

* a marine utility station unless it is taken aboard a vessel which makes a foreign voyage.

* a survival craft station when using telephony or an emergency position indicating radiobeacon (EPIRB) station.

* a ship radar station, if the operating frequency is determined by a fixed tuned device and the radar is capable of being operated by only external controls.

* shore radar, shore radiolocation, maritime support, or shore radio-navigation stations.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:53   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Forrest, if you go to www.fcc.gov and dig around, there are contacts for the Licensing Division and they'll give you a direct answer. Last time I checked you could also call them directly at 1-800-322-1117 Gettysburg licensing div.8am-4.30pm eastern time.

They've got to be NUTS asking $200 for a ships station license these days, there's no justification for it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:51   #4

Thanks Guys, called FCC and got answer

I went to FCC website, found a phone number, waded thru many automated selections and finally got a live person. After much digging, I was told that if I had a "General Radiotelephone Operator License", I didn't need a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit".

I agree, $200 for a station license is ludicrous.

Forrest
Old 06-06-2006, 14:46   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Forrest, I almost hate to ask but ..." I was told that if I had a "General Radiotelephone Operator License", I didn't need a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit"."

That's great for you, but does the *vessel* still need a Ship's Station License for the vessel? IIRC (and it is foggy) the license used to be assigned to the vessel, not just to the operator. If the GROL is all that's needed, heck, I'll get that instead of avoiding the radio in foreign waters.<G>
Old 07-06-2006, 10:08   #6

Hellosailer,

Yes, I was told that the vessel(small pleasure) needs the station license "IF" the equip is to be used outside of USA in another country(same for the restricted operator permit).

Forrest
Old 07-06-2006, 10:41   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah, so they get you both ways. As long as you need the ship's station license for the ship...you're still going to need two licenses.

It was bad enough when they wanted $75 for the VHF license, but $200...I'll be damned but I'm certain I remember that Ronald Ray-Gun (ZAP!) required the FCC to shift to cost-based fees structures, that is, the fee is supposed to be related directly to what it costs them to adminster the service. And there's NO WAY that's what they are doing any more.
There's never a cranky federal judge around when you need one, is there?<G>
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
I know that the regulations are subtely different in UK (naturally). Here The ship license is quite cheap, and will soon be free. It covers all the electrical gear capable of emissions (VHF, Radar, HF, MF, EPIRB etc). On top of that, somebody onboard needs to be qualified to operate the equipment with a short range licence for VHF, and a long range licence for marine HF.

Radio Ham licenses can be gained and apply ashore or afloat, However you are not allowed to use the same equipment for marine frequencies as that used for the Ham frequencies, despite the obvious cross-over. Furthermore radio hams are not allowed to talk to non-qualified people on ham channels . This is policed by issuing boat callsigns for the marine channels, and individual callsigns for the radio hams. I wont write what I think about this!