Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:19   #1

Boat: Endeavour 43
Ham Exam

Good morning all
I just wanted to say that I went to the Seven Seas Cruising Association GAM this weekend and passed the Technical and General exam. I got encouraged to take the exam only two weeks ago by my cousins wife who was an Extra class ham. I went to several websites that had been recommended on this forum and settled on

www.hamstudy.org.

I just studied the flash cards which had the underlying explanation on the flip side of the card. Probably one of the biggest factors in my success was the ability to study the cards in small groups based on the subject material and also to see the areas that I was weak in.

I am now studying for the Extra class and hope to take that soon. I hope this help someone down the road who thought about taking the exam but felt intimidated by the material.
Have a Great Day
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00   #2

Re: Ham Exam

Good for you. Passing the tests is not nearly as hard as some people seem to think.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25   #3

Boat: Heritage 35
Thumbs up Re: Ham Exam

Congrats!! It now opens a whole new world to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
Good morning all
I just wanted to say that I went to the Seven Seas Cruising Association GAM this weekend and passed the Technical and General exam. I got encouraged to take the exam only two weeks ago by my cousins wife who was an Extra class ham. I went to several websites that had been recommended on this forum and settled on

www.hamstudy.org.

I just studied the flash cards which had the underlying explanation on the flip side of the card. Probably one of the biggest factors in my success was the ability to study the cards in small groups based on the subject material and also to see the areas that I was weak in.

I am now studying for the Extra class and hope to take that soon. I hope this help someone down the road who thought about taking the exam but felt intimidated by the material.
Have a Great Day
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Congrats! I hope top do more than simply memorize the answers as it's nice to be more than simply an appliance operator.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59   #5
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Congrats! I've been meaning to do this but as we're now out cruising I'll need to take the test online. So...if anybody has a link to share for an online testing I'd be grateful. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck on the rest of the exams.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

For an American ham license, you must present yourself at a scheduled examining session with proper id to ensure the FCC requirements are met. There are many practice exams online. If you are presently in Morocco, you may be able to take their exam and obtain a license with a Moroccan callsign depending on their residency requirements.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51   #7

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Good morning all

www.hamstudy.org.

Have a Great Day
Great post!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 13:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Congrats! I hope top do more than simply memorize the answers as it's nice to be more than simply an appliance operator.
I am with you on that one. I bought the extra book and find the material much easier to understand after studying the flash card and learning the acronyms of the ham language. I am now going to study in detail to all of the General and Technical stuff will clear up.

The next step is to find a mentor who is patient enough to hold my hand while I go through the learning curve. I think it will be a fun journey.
Old 10-12-2012, 13:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
Congrats! I've been meaning to do this but as we're now out cruising I'll need to take the test online. So...if anybody has a link to share for an online testing I'd be grateful. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck on the rest of the exams.
Go to hamstudy.org I found this one worked best for me. After I found this site, I didn't work with any other online exam sites.
Old 10-12-2012, 14:23   #10

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Good morning all

www.hamstudy.org.

Have a Great Day
Great Job, I got my Tech in Oct and go for my General on the 21st of this month. Been working and learning a lot on 2m, I worked logging contacts onboard the USS Wisconsin over the weekend, N4WIS, to commemorate Pearl Harbor. That was quite a learning experience.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:41   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I've always hated those folks that could pass the exam so quickly. It took me as long to get my extra as it did to learn basic code. But then I'm not the sharpest knife in the fruit filled cookie jar either.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: San Juan 23

Congratulations!!!
paulf
W7PJF
paulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:51   #13
Eternal Member

brankin, et. al

CONGRATULATIONS! Well done!

I'm just back from the Gam and the WRCC picnic. Hope you'll sign up for the Waterway Radio and Cruising Club (WRCC), if you're not already a member. Check out our website for details: Waterway Net Web Site

Also hope to hear you on the Net. We're up every single day @ 0745 Eastern time, and have been for 50 (yes fifty) years. I'm Net Control on Mondays, and the incoming Commodore for the fiftieth anniversary year.

Let us know if there's any way we can help you.

For others: ham exams are given in several locations during the winter months, chiefly in Marathon (organized by Chuck, ND7K) and in Georgetown, EX.

With all the study guides, online materials, and classes operating all round the country, it's really not hard to get your General Class license these days, and I think you'll find it one of the most useful tools you can have while cruising.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
brankin, et. al

CONGRATULATIONS! Well done!

I'm just back from the Gam and the WRCC picnic. Hope you'll sign up for the Waterway Radio and Cruising Club (WRCC), if you're not already a member. Check out our website for details: Waterway Net Web Site

Also hope to hear you on the Net. We're up every single day @ 0745 Eastern time, and have been for 50 (yes fifty) years. I'm Net Control on Mondays, and the incoming Commodore for the fiftieth anniversary year.

Let us know if there's any way we can help you.

For others: ham exams are given in several locations during the winter months, chiefly in Marathon (organized by Chuck, ND7K) and in Georgetown, EX.

With all the study guides, online materials, and classes operating all round the country, it's really not hard to get your General Class license these days, and I think you'll find it one of the most useful tools you can have while cruising.

Bill
WA6CCA
Bill...thanks for the invite and I plan to take you up on the offer as soon as I get my ticket. I will get on the net and try not to make a fool of myself. I joined the waterway net after the exam and I thumbing through the roster as I type. I plan to get caught up on the scuttlebutt tonight
Old 10-12-2012, 16:17   #15

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

Congratulations! I echo what Btrayfors wrote. The HAM ticket and the WRCC has enhanced our sailing for the past 20 years.

AD4HE & KD4LGZ
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote