Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 18:17   #46

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: GME EPIRB battery replacement.

Dunno where these guys get the idea that MnO2-Li batteries aren't rechangeable. This is the same chemistry that Tacktick uses in all their solar powered navigation devices like the MN100 series. They use FDK (formerly Sanyo) ML2430 button cells.

The Manganese Dioxide battery's main claim to fame is an extremely low self-discharge, which suits both applications admirably.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 19:17   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Dunno where these guys get the idea that MnO2-Li batteries aren't rechangeable. This is the same chemistry that Tacktick uses in all their solar powered navigation devices like the MN100 series. They use FDK (formerly Sanyo) ML2430 button cells.

The Manganese Dioxide battery's main claim to fame is an extremely low self-discharge, which suits both applications admirably.
MnO2-Li is available in both chargeable and non chargeable. For the same package size, the chargeable ones have much lower capacity, at least IME.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 19:17   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

From scurrilous sources on the internet, such as:
Batteries - Knowledge Base - RECHARGE Batteries › Recharge Batteries

"Primary batteries irreversibly transform chemical energy to electrical energy. When the initial supply of reactants is exhausted, energy cannot be readily restored to the battery by electrical means.
Secondary batteries can be recharged; that is,...

Primary batteries
...Disposable primary cells cannot be reliably recharged, since the chemical reactions are not easily reversible and active materials may not return to their original forms. Battery manufacturers recommend against attempting to recharge primary cells.
Common types of disposable batteries include zinc–carbon batteries and alkaline batteries. ...Professional type of primary batteries are the lithium-manganese ( Li-MnO2),"

There seems to be some confusion over the exact type of batteries being discussed. There are "lithium" primary and secondary battery types (chemistries) and some of the names (chemistries) may be confusingly similar.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:49   #49

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Hi All, Any advances on the GME replacement batteries?? It appears to be problems with the nipple on the top & if not a flat (1mm + post) it may not fit! Also still can't find the Varta CR 2/3 AH here in the back waters of the world.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 17:04   #50

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
Hi All, Any advances on the GME replacement batteries?? It appears to be problems with the nipple on the top & if not a flat (1mm + post) it may not fit! Also still can't find the Varta CR 2/3 AH here in the back waters of the world.

Regards Bill
Bill, I made a stupid mistake. It turns out there were ten batteries in the frame, not eight, I didn't spot the two in the centre column until I pulled everything apart to fit the new batteries.. So I have to order two more, but there is a minimum order amount from the guys I bought the batteries from, so now I am hanging out till I need some more "stuff" from them before I order.

But if you'd like to order 12, I could buy two from you.

These were the batteries I bought, and aside from getting the number wrong, they look to be a perfect fit.

Price for CR123A + Tags is $6.55 + GST each.
http://www.master-instruments.com.au/products/62413/CR123A%20Bulk.html

Matt (P.S. Bachelor of Science in Pure and Applied Mathematics does not necessarily mean I can count!)
Old 12-01-2016, 17:19   #51

Ths for that will do & I was trotting down the 8 needed path as well!! Will Keep you informed. What was the manufactured date on the cells you got? that may be any issue.
Regards
Old 12-01-2016, 17:23   #52

I'll check the date when I get home from work.

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 12-01-2016, 17:30   #53

GILow, Were the Panasonic in the end?

Bill
Old 12-01-2016, 18:14   #54

Quote:
GILow, Were the Panasonic in the end?

Bill

Ummm... 99% certain but I will check that also.

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 12-01-2016, 19:31   #55

I don't think the following caution has yet been mentioned in this thread so now is as good as time as any

I understand the following is correct but I haven't actually read the act, just going on various state maritime websites and AMSA.

If you replace the batteries in your EPIRB in Australia, they no longer comply with the EPRIB carriage requirements. These requirements are that the EPRIB must be maintained in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance requirements. AFAIK, no EPRIBs sold in Oz are "manufacturer" approved for DIY battery replacement. This of course doesn't prevent you from doing the battery change but it does mean the EPRIB is no longer "approved". I think most states don't care how many unapproved units you have on board as long as you have one approved unit.

I have heard hearsay reports that Qld does care and they are willing to fine you if you have any "unapproved" safety items on board even you are also carrying approved ones; i.e. being fined for having out of date flares even if you are carrying the correct number of in date ones and so on. If these reports are true, then it follows they would also include "unapproved EPRIBs" in their search for revenue raising.

Perhaps some current banana benders may know more of what is happening in the north .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-01-2016, 19:50   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I don't think the following caution has yet been mentioned in this thread so now is as good as time as any

I concur.

FWIW, I bought the very unattractive EPIRB recommended by Wotname as my "compliance" device but I am looking forward to having the GME back as my belts-and-braces device. Much to my surprise, the AMSA web site where Australians register their EPIRBs does not make the battery expiry date compulsory though you can add it if you like. My GME is due for registration renewal in a few months, I suppose I will find out then if I wasted my time and $$$ with the replacement batteries. I don't think it will much use if it is not registered.

Matt
Old 12-01-2016, 20:00   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I concur.

FWIW, I bought the very unattractive EPIRB recommended by Wotname as my "compliance" device but I am looking forward to having the GME back as my belts-and-braces device. Much to my surprise, the AMSA web site where Australians register their EPIRBs does not make the battery expiry date compulsory though you can add it if you like. My GME is due for registration renewal in a few months, I suppose I will find out then if I wasted my time and $$$ with the replacement batteries. I don't think it will much use if it is not registered.

Matt
Matt,
You can re-register it with AMSA no problem and update the battery expiry date at the same time. I recently re-registered and updated my battery expiry date on line. Interestingly their software back dated the new expiry date by one month, dunno why...
Old 12-01-2016, 21:18   #58

Well it is an interesting exercise!! I would be prepared to challenge whether I was qualified or not to inspect this EBIRP on my & fill out & sign for that inspection with my past experience. The inspection proforma is able to be down loaded from the web & it covers all that is required. With all the boxes ticked & signed, I feel safe. I also have a backup if that is not looking good with an aerospace avionics engineer in the family who could qualify as an expert in a court of law. The certification is a Commonwealth function. Inspection is a function passed onto the state. But there is still a bit of work to go. I cannot find the Varta batteries used but will try & find the cost of a suitable replacement. Transport from overseas could be a problem. Now here is a note of caution. Cells are made with caveats. If they are not used for the "intended" use then you will find the length of service reduced. i.e. use a camera battery with a 10 yr shelf life for an EPIRB & in the small print it states must be changed in 2 yrs!! RTFQ!!
Will let you know how it goes. CR17335E-R with tags added looks like a suitable cell.
Oils an't oils & batterys an't batterys!

Regards Bill
Old 12-01-2016, 21:42   #59

Quote:
Well it is an interesting exercise!! I would be prepared to challenge whether I was qualified or not to inspect this EBIRP on my & fill out & sign for that inspection with my past experience. The inspection proforma is able to be down loaded from the web & it covers all that is required. With all the boxes ticked & signed, I feel safe. I also have a backup if that is not looking good with an aerospace avionics engineer in the family who could qualify as an expert in a court of law. The certification is a Commonwealth function. Inspection is a function passed onto the state. But there is still a bit of work to go. I cannot find the Varta batteries used but will try & find the cost of a suitable replacement. Transport from overseas could be a problem. Now here is a note of caution. Cells are made with caveats. If they are not used for the "intended" use then you will find the length of service reduced. i.e. use a camera battery with a 10 yr shelf life for an EPIRB & in the small print it states must be changed in 2 yrs!! RTFQ!!
Will let you know how it goes. CR17335E-R with tags added looks like a suitable cell.
Oils an't oils & batterys an't batterys!

Regards Bill
While I concur (totally); the "out" as I understand it, it doesn't matter how qualified you or me might be, it only depends on whether we are approved by the manufacturer or not.

The guvmit has handed the maintainance requirement directly back into the manufacturers hands. The first line of the manufacturers approved maintainance system will say it can only be completed by their authorised technican. So even the most qualified say Kannard technican couldn't technically carry out a battery change on say a GME unit etc.

You got to hand to the bureaucratic guvmit wallas, they know how to cover their bottoms

For instance, I was once approved to service various aviation beacons but couldn't technically service the marine beacons made by the same manufacturer...
Old 12-01-2016, 22:09   #60

You don't have the qualifications to inspect an inflatable but you can & provided you make the entry in the ships log it is legal in QLD. Anyhow I don't "intent" to be more than .5nm from shore. Just mis-judged the distance!

Tags
battery, epirb, men