Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 12:32   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Garmin Nautix HUD on your glasses

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but it is a small device that clips onto one of the arms of your glasses and provides a HUD of instrumentation data in front of you.

So you are always seeing COG SOG, etc. I think they have 14 different displays.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod549875.html

It works on ANT+ like all their other devices, unfortunately right now it looks like it only connects to Garmin product, which I figure really limits the market for this.

Anyone know more about this? Is there a way to get NMEA data from Raymarine, B&G, etc. This is a great idea
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 12:55   #2

Boat: Trio 80
Re: Garmin Nautix HUD on your glasses

buy a Garmin gnx Wind instrument or a garmin 7000/8000 series plotter and If your other instruments are on the nmea2000 bus you will be able to se the data on the HUD or on the Quatix 3 watch via the ANT+ protocol

Unfortunatly does the Garmin GNT 10 (Nmea200 to ANT+ bridge) not work with the HUD and Quatix 3 watch

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BitNissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:12   #3

Yeah, brand new boat with a whole B&G package, already have wind, ais, gps, 2 chartplotters, radar, etc. Not about to spend another $1k for a plotter just to get the hud.

however, it is a great idea, and considering that there many more non Garmin nmea instruments out than just Garmin, offering an ANT+ bridge would probably 3x to 10x the sales of the hud...Just my opinion though...
Old 29-07-2016, 13:29   #4

Boat: Trio 80

Yes - I have replaced my old quatix watch with the new quatix 3 and been very disappointed with the lack of connectivity.

The old watch could stream data from the GNT 10 or GHC 10 autopilot - The new watch can only stream data from the gnx display og the 7/8 plotter.

So I hope that garmin makes an upgrade to GNT 10, so it is possible to stream data without spending a lot of money

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BitNissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:57   #5

i love garmin stuff, i bike ride lots, i have a bike computer, i have a virb camera, cadence sensor, heart rate sensor, etc.

Would love a fenix/quantix etc, but need it to connect to my B&G. Wonder how many people are saying I need it to connect to my (pick whatever non garmin instruments you have).

I did send this information to them, wasn't even sure who to send it or what category since they don't list this product or category. Same on their forums which i use for support for biking and camera, nothing for quantix, not even a category. Maybe it falls into wearables with their wristbands, but those would outsell the quantix by 100k : 1

Happy to meet a fellow garmin user though!
Old 29-07-2016, 14:03   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

The glasses are better than a watch because the glasses sense where you are looking. So only relevant info pops up.

I think google glass for navigation is a killer.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 14:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The glasses are better than a watch because the glasses sense where you are looking. So only relevant info pops up.
agree. i think in 5 years everyone will have this. Garmin can capture the market if they can interface to other systems.

Tags
garmin