Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2024, 09:11   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Fact or fiction: running with the chartplotter off to save electricity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
On the Navico plotters I've used the internal depth sounder also stops pinging when in standby. I'm not sure if they all do this or if it's only under certain conditions though.
Depth is on nmea2000. You can add radar and sonar modules which connect via Ethernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
That makes the assumption that one does not consider a wind vane to be a form of autopilot -

I understand that the two are different. An autopilot steers to a defined position. A vane steers to an angle off the wind direction. Wind shifts cause a vane to steer in a different direction. Autopilots, not so much.
Exactly, windvane steering isn’t an Autopilot, but an autopilot can do everything windvane steering can, incl. sailing to a wind angle, except it requires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
My only issue with using an I-pad for boat navigation, is that I don't consider them to be a properly salt-resistant, shock-resistant, marine-grade device.
You should not use an iPad in a salt spray ridden, teeth jarring cockpit. It belongs in a protected spot unless it’s calm and clear conditions.
Refusing to use iPads on board sounds like Don Quichote

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 05:59   #62

Boat: Najad 490 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think that when I switch my B&G Vulcan to standby, it’s still fully operational just disables the screen.
You do not save ANY power switching a B&G/Simrad/Navico unit to standby vs running on very low brightness.

They all have very high power consumption even in standby mode. (Much higher than it should be IMHO)

So if possible just turn brightness down to minimum you can see - and it is usually the same as putting into standby. But it is faster to get "out" of low brightness than to get out of standby.. (just repeatedly press power button to cycle brightness - with instant reaction)
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 06:03   #63

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
You do not save ANY power switching a B&G/Simrad/Navico unit to standby vs running on very low brightness.

They all have very high power consumption even in standby mode. (Much higher than it should be IMHO)

So if possible just turn brightness down to minimum you can see - and it is usually the same as putting into standby. But it is faster to get "out" of low brightness than to get out of standby.. (just repeatedly press power button to cycle brightness - with instant reaction)
The Lowrance units I've used (and presumably the matching Simrad and B&G stuff) will use slightly less power in standby if you're using the internal sonar / depth sounder. It stops pinging when in standby. Power consumption doesn't drop drastically compared to turning the display backlight down to a very low setting because it still keeps the GPS running, etc.

The Navico units I've used are very quick to wake up. One button push and it comes back to life within a second. Might take an extra second or 2 for the depth reading to come back.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 07:31   #64
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:

Exactly, windvane steering isn’t an Autopilot, but an autopilot can do everything windvane steering can, incl. sailing to a wind angle, except it require
Perhaps you didn't finish that sentence? Except all autopilots require electric power - wind vane steering does not.

You also need an autopilot that can interface with wind instruments.

IMHO - for long distance cruising you should have both.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 10:11   #65

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

It's hard to argue against having the MFD on except to save energy.

The smaller the less energy usage. Examples:
B&G Zeus3 7" 20W, 9" 23W, 12" 30W 16" 45W. (These are max rating with +/- 4 or 5W).
I recommend a smaller one that is always on rather than a larger on powered on occasionally.
Old 19-03-2024, 11:54   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Perhaps you didn't finish that sentence? Except all autopilots require electric power - wind vane steering does not.

You also need an autopilot that can interface with wind instruments.

IMHO - for long distance cruising you should have both.

dj
You finished it correctly why the sentence was stripped we’ll never know

But no, only small boats that can’t guarantee their electric power availability need wind vane steering. All the larger boats only use autopilots. We have two.

Old 19-03-2024, 12:00   #67

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
You finished it correctly why the sentence was stripped we’ll never know

But no, only small boats that can’t guarantee their electric power availability need wind vane steering. All the larger boats only use autopilots. We have two.
The key there is having 2. I think dlj's idea was more about redundancy than power saving. So you want to have a redundant method of self steering if possible. That can be 2 autopilot setups or an autopilot and a wind vane.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 12:06   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The key there is having 2. I think dlj's idea was more about redundancy than power saving. So you want to have a redundant method of self steering if possible. That can be 2 autopilot setups or an autopilot and a wind vane.
Agreed. For modern boats with dinghy lifts and solar arrays the wind vane installations glory days are behind us I’m afraid.

Old 19-03-2024, 14:05   #69

Boat: Najad 490 1998

Quote:
Agreed. For modern boats with dinghy lifts and solar arrays the wind vane installations glory days are behind us I’m afraid.
We have 2 autopilots + HydroVane.

But 1 autopilot will be ripped out and replaced with a tiller pilot for the hydrovane. Biggest risk is lightning strike and 2 autopilots do not save you from that issue unless you keep it disconnected - and possibly in a protection box.

But a tiller pilot in a protection box to connect to the HydroVane - is easy and simple.

Apart from that Wind vanes are a good 2nd rudder with a tiller - if you are close to Orca's.

/k
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 18:46   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

But 1 autopilot will be ripped out and replaced with a tiller pilot for the hydrovane. Biggest risk is lightning strike and 2 autopilots do not save you from that issue unless you keep it disconnected - and possibly in a protection box.

But a tiller pilot in a protection box to connect to the HydroVane - is easy and simple.

Apart from that Wind vanes are a good 2nd rudder with a tiller - if you are close to Orca's.

/k
Yes, I have a full extra AP in the spares inventory.

Old 19-03-2024, 18:56   #71
dlj

Quote:

/k
That's exactly how I'm currently running: Hydrovane, Autopilot and back up tiller pilot I can put on Hydrovane.

dj
Old 19-03-2024, 19:04   #72
dlj

Quote:
Well, i have dinghy davits - but only hang my dinghy there when not running off-shore. I could still run my wind vane with the dingy there. I have a solar installation back there - great addition! Plus I'm running a custom-made-for-this-boat hydrovane.

So I will respectively disagree with you.

In addition, the use of my hydrovane has been fantastic! Superb device! I have relied on it for both of my recent crossings and have hardly turned on my autopilot. I've only used the autopilot after getting into the islands and running under motor with no wind.

dj
Old 20-03-2024, 06:39   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, i have dinghy davits - but only hang my dinghy there when not running off-shore. I could still run my wind vane with the dingy there. I have a solar installation back there - great addition! Plus I'm running a custom-made-for-this-boat hydrovane.

So I will respectively disagree with you.

In addition, the use of my hydrovane has been fantastic! Superb device! I have relied on it for both of my recent crossings and have hardly turned on my autopilot. I've only used the autopilot after getting into the islands and running under motor with no wind.

dj
They are fantastic and it can be done…. but it isn’t done often anymore compared to the years behind us. So even though you love yours, I believe my statement that it’s glory years are behind us is true. Almost all the windvanes I see are either on older boats or on smaller boats that don’t have their dinghies on a stern hoist.

Old 20-03-2024, 09:30   #74
dlj

Quote:
They are fantastic and it can be done…. but it isn’t done often anymore compared to the years behind us. So even though you love yours, I believe my statement that it’s glory years are behind us is true. Almost all the windvanes I see are either on older boats or on smaller boats that don’t have their dinghies on a stern hoist.
I guess it depends upon the definition of "glory years".

My interpretation of "glory years" is something that is now relegated to museums or collectors but has little to no practical use in modern use other than as a curiosity. Think the Stanley Steamer. In which case I strongly disagree.

If what you mean by that is that is less frequently used, that may well be the case. However, it may also be that it is rather a pendulum type swing in current mindsets. So if we wait some number of years it may swing back.

The utility of the wind vane is superb. It provides redundancy in systems that has no equal. Get hit with lightening and blowout your electronics. That is still a real possibility. With a wind vane you still have self steering. I have heard countless times where electronic autopilots have not withstood the rigors of ocean crossings. That is very rare for wind vanes.

I object to discounting it, whatever term is used, for another reason besides it's functional excellence, but also that as sailors, we need to be aware of systems that really work and the reasons why, along with their limitations.

dj
Old 20-03-2024, 10:23   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I guess it depends upon the definition of "glory years".

My interpretation of "glory years" is something that is now relegated to museums or collectors but has little to no practical use in modern use other than as a curiosity. Think the Stanley Steamer. In which case I strongly disagree.

If what you mean by that is that is less frequently used, that may well be the case. However, it may also be that it is rather a pendulum type swing in current mindsets. So if we wait some number of years it may swing back.

The utility of the wind vane is superb. It provides redundancy in systems that has no equal. Get hit with lightening and blowout your electronics. That is still a real possibility. With a wind vane you still have self steering. I have heard countless times where electronic autopilots have not withstood the rigors of ocean crossings. That is very rare for wind vanes.

I object to discounting it, whatever term is used, for another reason besides it's functional excellence, but also that as sailors, we need to be aware of systems that really work and the reasons why, along with their limitations.

dj
“when it’s popularity has waned”.

Tags
chartplotter, electric