Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 11:45   #1

EV1 Sensor Proximity to DC Power

I am installing a Raymarine EV1 sensor and struggling to find a good location. The installation instructions state that it should be at lease 3 feet from the compass or electrical cables, but I am having a really difficult time finding a location that meets that criteria, especially since the supplied spur cable is only 3 feet long.

How sensitive is this unit to DC power I have a wonderful location next to my DC breaker box. Will this location cause it to work improperly?
amontyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:56   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: EV1 Sensor Proximity to DC Power

We decided to move our EV1 sensor and wrote about it in post 8 and 12 here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ew-136885.html

If you buy another backbone cable and some connecting blocks, or a longer spur cable, the EV1 can be mounted just about anywhere.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:58   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Mine is currently about 1ft away from my VHF ... but I suspect that it is unreliable. The autopilot seems to work ok, but I can never get the radar properly aligned. I plan on moving the VHF when I am able to get back to the boat to see if that helps ... there are of course other wires nearby which could be a problem, but at the moment I'm blaming the VHF.

I'd look for somewhere further from the panel if possible.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:19   #4

Boat: Hunter 356 35'6"

Have my EV1 sensor mounted on the lazerette front wall next to the power switch for my Electroscan unit.
All works fine until the autopilot is engaged AND someone runs the Electroscan, all of a sudden boat does a "Crazy Ivan". Once the Electroscan is done running it returns to course.
Needless to say I am moving it, it does make a difference...

Jeff
jeff356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 14:07   #5

EV1 Sensor Proximity to DC Power

I think you should try the location that you want. Do a temp installation and try for a while. Mine is located under the aft cabin bed where also the main power breakers, my 200ah lifepo4, my solarcharge controller and other electrical stuff is also located. the only thing that ever made the EV1 go nuts was when my sons MacBook was placed directly on top of it in the bed. Otherwise it have performed flawlessly
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 16:05   #6

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

I located my EV-1 sensor up in the v-berth in a small compartment away from anything metallic or cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev100.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	214532  
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 18:39   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I found the EV-1 didn’t like being mounted within 3 feet of the engine but was fine mounted near other electronics away from the engine. I doubt that DC power cables will effect it. The previous suggestion of a temporary mounting to test the location is spot on.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 21:14   #8

by DC cables they mean battery cables. windlass cable, bowthruster cable. something that is drawing 100's of amps.

putting it next to a 14awg wire for a light isn't going to do anything.

but I would probably keep it away from the DC panel.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
by DC cables they mean battery cables. windlass cable, bowthruster cable. something that is drawing 100's of amps.

putting it next to a 14awg wire for a light isn't going to do anything.

but I would probably keep it away from the DC panel.
The manual says "The unit location must be at least 1m(3ft.) away from any source of magnetic interference,such as compasses and electrical cables."

A DC cable (ie direct current, no matter the amount) doesn't generate any magnetic field which was why I said it is not likely to be an issue. On the other hand, I never did figure why my unit was unhappy being near the engine. Didn't seem likely the engine was generating a magnetic field.

As for the location near the DC panel, my unit is relatively close (2ft) to my DC panel and does fine. I would avoid engines and AC cables that carry lots of current when underway. However, I would certainly do a trial install and do lots of boating before permanently mounting it.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:37   #10

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
A DC cable (ie direct current, no matter the amount) doesn't generate any magnetic field which was why I said it is not likely to be an issue.
DC current absolutely does create a magnetic field, proportional to the current. So lighting circuits carrying a few 100mA will be much less significant than big cables directly off the battery.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:51   #11

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

"DC cable (ie direct current, no matter the amount) doesn't generate any magnetic field which was why I said it is not likely to be an issue. On the other hand, I never did figure why my unit was unhappy being near the engine. Didn't seem likely the engine was generating a magnetic "

I have witnesses a lot of authoritarian BS on this site, but this really knocks it out of the park.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
"DC cable (ie direct current, no matter the amount) doesn't generate any magnetic field which was why I said it is not likely to be an issue. On the other hand, I never did figure why my unit was unhappy being near the engine. Didn't seem likely the engine was generating a magnetic "

I have witnesses a lot of authoritarian BS on this site, but this really knocks it out of the park.

Frankly

I stand corrected. I was thinking about changing current inducing a current not a magnetic field. So perhaps this is why I had trouble near the engine due to the alternator.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:14   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331 (French build)

Like Pete7 I was advised to fit the EVO sensor forward of the keel centre point so that yaw movement is in the same direction as the boat. I fitted it behind the forward bulkhead. System performs flawless in difficult sea conditions although I have it connected to a ACU200 and linear drive.
ithet is offline   Reply With Quote