Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-03-2009, 15:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Digital Radar Pros and Cons?

Hey all,

I'm considering getting a radar for the boat- I'd go with a Raymarine product just to match the other existing hardware. Question:

I see that digital radar is marketed as having "automatic operation" and better resolution than analog units. That sounds good, but has anyone had any experience using these? My fear is that with automatic operation, things with very small or intermittent returns may be culled by the processor(?) before it ever makes it to the display. Also, does the de-clutter function remove the capability to see squalls because it auto-adjusts? Can you override the auto-tune feature and manually declutter and adjust gain, tuning? It also looks like the analog uses less power, so I'm curious if people think the digital radar is worth the extra $$$ and power consumption.

As a sidebar, I think the super HD digital version comes in 256 color radar- sounds very fancy, but is this useful? Not that I'm considering this one- seems to fru-fru for me. Just curious if it brings anything helpful to the table.

Thanks for the experienced responses!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar