Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 05:49   #1

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Question Delphi Marine Batteries

I have VArta batteries in the boat (170amp) and they are crap after only 4 years and looking after them well thay are packing up wont keep full charge and discharge pretty quickly. I have friends that have fitted the delphi marine deep cycle batteries and are very happy with them. Do any of you know where I can get size,amps, and product info on the net. We are in the channel Islands Guernsey. Thanks folks
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 07:15   #2

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50
Here is, FYI, some details on the Delphi batteries:

Batterie FREEDOM marine servitude et démarrage, BATTERIES MARINES, Electricité -

They are the same batteries than the Vetus ones (although Vetus give you a 108 A/20 when Delphi is a 105 A/20, they are exactly the same...only the sticker is different).

If you want to have a lifetime significantely over 4 years, these Delphi will not garantee you to have it.

My last set (4 x 105 and 4 x 75) didi not last more than 4 years as well.

I guess they were not "off work" when I bought them and poorly stored (on the ground, no frequent or permanent charging...) by the seller, which is reducing the life expectancy of course.

Battery life is very difficult to assess from one boat to another one, one area to another one...apparently our areas are very similar (we are in Cherbourg...) so we can compare.

If you are looking for a long life expextancy, you should look for other battery's type, the "best" ones being the 2 volts elements like ones from Mastervolt, but you need 6 of them to make 12 volts, they are bulky, heavy and, of course pricey.

If it is not a problem to use the 2 volts elements, according the manufacturer and users, life expectancy can goes up to...10 years!

Which is kind of balancing the price way higher than for "usual" batteries.

Here are some infos:
Batteries & Terminals | Mastervolt. The world‘s leading brand in maritime, mobile and solar energy solutions.

The website can be in French as well and is full of information and tutorial.

Another very usefull website (in French, if you are from Morlaix, should not be a problem...) is this one:

Voilelec __ Voile et Electronique : Christian Couderc

Generally, the life expectation of batteries depends on the environment (temperature) and the way they are managed.

The Delphi / Vetus type is having a 400 cycle (charge - discharge) life expectancy in theory, for example.

But if they are not properly manage, this will be reduce and you can have a battery failure after 2 years or may be less.

One good way to not damage your battery is to never discharge them more than 30% to 50% (30% is better and safer anyway, 50% a great maximum, never to go further).

To monitor this, you need to have a good and sensitive battery monitor device with proper alarm settings.nd cycle counting.

Keeping them charged 100% as much as possible is another way to save the batteries.

I hope that in the next future, battery technologie will improve (the car industry could give a good boost for that with all the development in electrical vehicles that need significant capacity and deep discharge characteristics...as we do for our boats).
Old 14-02-2010, 07:46   #3

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric50 View Post
Here is, FYI, some details on the Delphi batteries:

Batterie FREEDOM marine servitude et démarrage, BATTERIES MARINES, Electricité -

They are the same batteries than the Vetus ones (although Vetus give you a 108 A/20 when Delphi is a 105 A/20, they are exactly the same...only the sticker is different).

If you want to have a lifetime significantely over 4 years, these Delphi will not garantee you to have it.

My last set (4 x 105 and 4 x 75) didi not last more than 4 years as well.

I guess they were not "off work" when I bought them and poorly stored (on the ground, no frequent or permanent charging...) by the seller, which is reducing the life expectancy of course.

Battery life is very difficult to assess from one boat to another one, one area to another one...apparently our areas are very similar (we are in Cherbourg...) so we can compare.

If you are looking for a long life expextancy, you should look for other battery's type, the "best" ones being the 2 volts elements like ones from Mastervolt, but you need 6 of them to make 12 volts, they are bulky, heavy and, of course pricey.

If it is not a problem to use the 2 volts elements, according the manufacturer and users, life expectancy can goes up to...10 years!

Which is kind of balancing the price way higher than for "usual" batteries.

Here are some infos:
Batteries & Terminals | Mastervolt. The world‘s leading brand in maritime, mobile and solar energy solutions.

The website can be in French as well and is full of information and tutorial.

Another very usefull website (in French, if you are from Morlaix, should not be a problem...) is this one:

Voilelec __ Voile et Electronique : Christian Couderc

Generally, the life expectation of batteries depends on the environment (temperature) and the way they are managed.

The Delphi / Vetus type is having a 400 cycle (charge - discharge) life expectancy in theory, for example.

But if they are not properly manage, this will be reduce and you can have a battery failure after 2 years or may be less.

One good way to not damage your battery is to never discharge them more than 30% to 50% (30% is better and safer anyway, 50% a great maximum, never to go further).

To monitor this, you need to have a good and sensitive battery monitor device with proper alarm settings.nd cycle counting.

Keeping them charged 100% as much as possible is another way to save the batteries.

I hope that in the next future, battery technologie will improve (the car industry could give a good boost for that with all the development in electrical vehicles that need significant capacity and deep discharge characteristics...as we do for our boats).
Thanks a million great site and I have learnt alot already. Many Thanks Pete in Morlaix
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, battery