Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2022, 13:18   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Connecting Sensors to Axiom MFD

I was happy with stand alone charts, instruments, etc. until my radar gave out. The new Quantum radar needs a MFD. so I bought an Axiom. The radar connect via wifi but I think, as long as I have the capability, I should learn how to run all my data through my Axiom. I don't know how. The first one I want to connect is the AIS (GME).
Currently, I connect it to my laptop via USB, but I believe I need NMEA to connect it o the MFD. The AIS has a outlet for NMEA 2000 so, I guess I can buy a cable to connect to the same 5 pin outlet on the MFD and AIS. But the MFD only has one NMEA 2000 outlet, so, I assume to get several sensors I'd have to get a hub of some sort.
There are also 4 wires for NMEA 0183 on the AIS. Do I convert that to wifi using something like a YAKKER? Do I need a multiplexer to get more than one input to harmoniously display?
I think this will be quite a time consuming learning experience. I'm in Africa so I can't just take it to the local Raymarine dealer.
Thanks
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sensor