Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2023, 17:55   #1

Codan 9323 Radio with 9350 Mobile Antenna

Hi All

I am looking at purchasing a Codan 9323 radio with a 9350 mobile antenna and have a few questions.

The first question relates to the antenna. Does anyone have direct experience using a HF Mobile Antenna with automatic tuner and a whip of approximately 2m for their HF Comms offshore? I understand that for frequencies below 10mhz a backstay antenna will outperform a short whip but I am interested in whether the Mobile Antenna performed satisfactorily as a primary HF Antenna.

The second relates to the radio. It does not have free tune transmit and the transmitter frequencies need to be programmed by a Codan Dealer. Are 400 frequency presets sufficient to cover the Marine and Amateur HF Bands if planning on cruising internationally. Primary needs are HF Weather Fax, Sailmail and Winlink frequencies for email and grib files but it would be nice to be able to access cruiser nets and expand into amateur frequencies down the track.

The third question relates to PACTOR Modems. Has anyone used this specific radio with a PACTOR Modem and did it provide suitable performance.

Final point of disclosure, I do not currently have an amateur or marine HF License but intend on obtaining these. I do not intend to transmit on any frequency until I have obtained the appropriate license.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Ryan
Rhino91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, mob, radio