Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 12:35   #1
DGH

Boat: 48 ft sloop. Buizen 48
HF Radio - Codan 9390

Hi Guys
Hope this is not a curly one.
I use my Codan 9390 95% for email on Sailmail with a Pactor IIe. I recemtly downloaded update software for the Pactor dated 2012.
My problem is I don't think the radio is transmitting with any power. When I tune the Tx indicator shows 5 or 6 bars of strength, but when working shows none.
I must admit I am getting some emails through but it seems very slow.
How do I check if I am really transmitting properly? My supply ammeter doesn't indicate a lot of current.
Thanks if you can help at all.
DGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 15:33   #2
Eternal Member

Re: HF Radio - Codan 9390

Attach a power/swr meter to the radio. Every boat should have one, anyway.

Check power output on all modes.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 17:52   #3

If your ammeter isn't deflecting as much as it normally does, that's a good indicator that the power out is lower. You must be getting out somewhat because you're email is working. I'm not familiar at all with your transceiver, but when you tune up, most rigs do that at reduced power. Do you have an RF power adjustment on the radio? Is it SSB only or does it do AM as well? If so, when you key the radio in AM mode, you'll see a full power carrier whether you're speaking into the mic or not. Have you tried it using voice? You'll only see power out when you are modulating while transmitting on SSB. Try making a call on SSB voice and see if the power out is what you normally expect. It's possible your SCS TNC needs to be configured to increase the tx audio level. I would look at the configuration of the TNC first since you mentioned it was recently updated, especially if it started at that time. Your transceiver may have a tx audio adjustment for the data port that your TNC connects to as well. Most of these settings look like they would be menu accessible on your radio, if at all, and not likely to have been bumped or nudged out of whack. Lastly, are you sure the tuner is tuning properly? Good luck.
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 18:36   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you have the transmitter powered through an analog ammeter (not digital), you can use it to check transmit power.

First, tune the sailmail frequency, hold the mike key down and give a loud whistle while watching the ammeter. If it peaks at 10-20 amps, your radio is working fine, and you can proceed to follow the instructions on adjusting your IIe modulation levels:

Setting Drive Levels

You may also be able to use the tx bars on the radio, but the ammeter is more reliable.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:36   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

DGH,
Don has given you the straight scoop, except I'd advise NOT actually testing ON a Sailmail freq, as this will cause interference to other users....
Perhaps using a freq nearby, or at the very least make absolutely sure that there is nobody else using that freq...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 14:41   #6
DGH

Thanks guys, that's a fantastic response I will try as suggested and let you know the outcome. Unfortunately my ammeter is digital only. Not sure yet how I can look at the modem software but I'll get there.
Old 19-09-2013, 19:08   #7
DGH

Thanks for all your responses re my radio power output on data transmission.
The issue is now fixed but I will explain what the problem was just in case it is helpful to someone else.
The problem was in the software settings in the Sailmail radio control section. (Tools/Options/Connection)
I had upgraded my Pactor modem software and the the transmission amplitude
FSK and PSK had defaulted to about 70 and 140, whereas my Codan radio needs settings of 600 and 1000. Type in the new numbers and problem solved! I am the dummy!

Tags
hf radio, radio