Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 13:51   #16
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have just started a free blog for our yacht at SailBlogs | Sailing Blog Hosting & Social Network. It seems OK, but I have to admit our crew hasn't written anything on it yet (Nor have I - hink I'll start with a post about fixing the chainplate and big hole in the bow!!)!

My personal blog is at SparkPeople, which isn't just a diet site! More like a healthy living sort of place. By having my blog there, it kind of reminds me to eat natural! Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople. My personal blog, of you want to check it out is: my.sparkpeople.com/SAUCYSAILORESS. Don't think anyone actually reads it except my mother, though. Oh, and Hubby likes to look over my shoulder when I'm writing it - which feels really weird, even though I never write anything mean (not about him manyway!)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 13:32   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Blog Hosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi,

I blog and ghost blog for others.

My recommendation for beginners is nearly always the blogger platform. If at any time you feel you outgrow blogger you can transfer to wordpress easily.

There are also sailor-cut solutions like e.g. SailBlogs. But I do not like to pay for things that can be had for free, hence blogger or wordpress my first choices.

b.

I am looking into this for our April/May cruise as sending multiple emails that cannot handle a video was a real hassle.

I just tried this - therapy1044's posterous - Home and it is easy for a no-way-am-I-a-geek type person. But after one video I am at the 100meg limit.

What is a place to blog that will let me put up lots of pics and some video easily, really easily - as in it will resize the pics and format the video from my little Olympus Stylus 850SW.

Some of those that we emailed last year want to see stuff this year too but I do not want to have to learn new software conversion stuff or the like.

Maybe I am asking too much.

I know nothing about this stuff and as you can tell I don't want to learn how to fix the car. I just want to drive it.

Thanks.

edit: my searches show up mostly old stuff.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 15:42   #18

Boat: Island Packet 27

I use Fat Cow web hosting. I have a sailboat project site as well as a blog site. Most of my web design has been with NVU free software.
Sailboat Projects and Blog for my Seaward Fox Valhalla and Island Packet 27

Old 10-03-2011, 16:11   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panfiltp View Post
I use Fat Cow web hosting. I have a sailboat project site as well as a blog site. Most of my web design has been with NVU free software.

Hi,

I looked up both. Great boats you have there.

The Valhalla page opens way ugly in Firefox (3.6) though - left half of the screen blank, text starts at the centerline and disappears over the right margin. If you find time, maybe you can adjust the text.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 17:12   #20

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

I use Blogger for 2 reasons. The first being that its a great platform to learn how to blog. The set up is easy and very intuitive so I can work on the writing and photogrpahy without worrying about layout, etc overly much. The second reason is that once I feel that I'm ready to jump to a domain name/hosted site, its very easy to move to Wordpress.

Baby steps...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 22:53   #21

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I am looking into this for our April/May cruise as sending multiple emails that cannot handle a video was a real hassle.

I just tried this - therapy1044's posterous - Home and it is easy for a no-way-am-I-a-geek type person. But after one video I am at the 100meg limit.

What is a place to blog that will let me put up lots of pics and some video easily, really easily - as in it will resize the pics and format the video from my little Olympus Stylus 850SW.

Some of those that we emailed last year want to see stuff this year too but I do not want to have to learn new software conversion stuff or the like.

Maybe I am asking too much.

I know nothing about this stuff and as you can tell I don't want to learn how to fix the car. I just want to drive it.

Thanks.

edit: my searches show up mostly old stuff.
Therapy,

I'm a self confessed IT disaster zone, but I was looking at a website someone set up to sell their boat and I loved the easy way I could find my way around it.
I looked at the bottom of the page and saw it was www.weebly.com
I've joined and I'm putting together a website.
It's free, dead easy, and their support is instant and terrific, and it looksd as though you can upload a heap of stuff before you hit any limits.
Might be worth a look.

Also, has anyone else has any experience with them?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 23:04   #22

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Looks good.

Probably based on one of the opensource content management systems.

What are their domaine hosting charges. They would have have an income somewhere.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 23:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Looks good.

What are their domaine hosting charges. They would have have an income somewhere.
Not sure, but my wife/girlfriend thingy actually started us with Blogger and we registered a domain name for about $10.
I hated the fact that you couldn't set up separate pages... eg separate his and hers journals, a page on the boat details etc etc
I also found it would take an age to open the pictures, if at all, so I went on a hunt of sites/blogs I liked and this one seemed the best.
I really don't think the domain name registration is expensive at all.

Vic

Old 10-03-2011, 23:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Looks good.

Just noticed I went off at a tangent. You were asking about domaine hosting charges.
At the entry level, hosting is free and that is the one I've gone with.
There is an upgrade if you become a heavyweight user but I seem to think even that was very reasonable.

No doubt down the track they'll be big enough to attract advertising or sell out to google or someone, buy a yacht and go cruising... on $500/month

Old 10-03-2011, 23:34   #25

I am no expert(yust a simple user) but it looks very much like a content management system which is great.

Means you just log on through the admin log in and you add content, photos, pages, links copy and drop text from your computer. Use the standard page design using your own photos grapics or get a prow to do the header/site look graphics. can even add forums ,etc,etc.

Great type of system and you are the editor. many large and small business use them thesedays.

definitely way to go.

some info here

Top 12 Free Content Management Systems (CMS) | SpyreStudios

Seems Wordpress is a CMS. I had a work site done with JOOMLA.
Old 10-03-2011, 23:42   #26
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LOL! I'm glad this thread came up again - reading through post 16 where I said I use Sailblogs and Sparkpeople - that has all changed now! Wordpress.com allows you to create categories, so I can have a section (accessible thru a side menu or tabs at the top) for each of the areas I blog about, namely sailing, academic stuff and life stuff. That way I can just go to one place, write a blog, then check a box for where I want it filing.

It's FoC, and allows you to chose from about 130 skins; and then you can personalise your widgets and colours and wotnot.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 23:51   #27

saucy,

most of the content management systems allow you to add menu items as many as you want. Will have photo galleries, contact us, etc, etc, all set up.

You personalise to your oun desire.

Try this demo on the Joomla site.

Joomla! Demo
Old 11-03-2011, 00:31   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Wordpress works for me, I am sure there are other good ones out there, but it works for me, see the link to my site below, all easy and all free
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:40   #29

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I use Blogger for 2 reasons. The first being that its a great platform to learn how to blog. The set up is easy and very intuitive so I can work on the writing and photogrpahy without worrying about layout, etc overly much. The second reason is that once I feel that I'm ready to jump to a domain name/hosted site, its very easy to move to Wordpress.

Baby steps...
Mimsy,

That looks good.

Our Life with Ceol Mor

I can't read the dark blue though but my eyes are not too good.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Wordpress works for me, I am sure there are other good ones out there, but it works for me, see the link to my site below, all easy and all free
It really is complicated.

On yours to look at the pic it opens another window.

On posterous they are "full size" and in a "gallery" they call it. No changing pages.

Man it is complicated.