Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2023, 14:57   #31

Boat: Nordic Tug 32
Re: Big problem with Garmin 8616xsv (any 8600 i bet) bearing issue

I have a Garmin but an older one, not an 8600 series. Have you tried just using the "go to waypoint" function and maybe de-activating the route (assuming the waypoints are still on the chart plotter map?
SVToybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 18:19   #32

Bearing problems? It’s an electronic device, it doesn’t have bearing!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:44   #33

Boat: Nordic Tug 32

wholybee,

Change from sailing mode to power mode and the AP will follow the route, without intervention.
SVToybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 13:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVToybox View Post
I have a Garmin but an older one, not an 8600 series. Have you tried just using the "go to waypoint" function and maybe de-activating the route (assuming the waypoints are still on the chart plotter map?
Pretty sure this is the key!
Routes will steer you back to the planned “route”, where “go to” will continue to lead you in the direction of the waypoint.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 14:19   #35

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVToybox View Post
wholybee,

Change from sailing mode to power mode and the AP will follow the route, without intervention.
Interesting. The fact there are 2 modes somewhat bothers me, as there are several power mode features I would like. Other than giving up wind vane mode (which performs poorly anyway) what do I give up in power mode? If I change back and forth, do I need to redo the calibration?
Old 17-02-2023, 10:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic48Zen View Post
Hi,
I made a BIG mistake and bought the Garmin 8616xsv without checking some features. After making my purchase and completing a full custom install I started practicing with the gear. The radar is fine and simple to use. The problem I have is with the plotter and, in particular, the "bearing" for a go-to or on a route. Upon initial engagement of a go-to or route the bearing displays the GPS course to steer to my waypoint. Within seconds however the bearing starts to shift as the boat veers off the ruhmbline BUT it is not providing the new course to the waypoint (like every other chart plotter in the world), it displays the course back to the rhumbline. It seems the Garmin default setting is to steer you back to the rhumbline and follow that course. Well, on a sailboat that is not always the way it will work. If the waypoint is directly up wind then the sailboat needs to tack back and forth to reach the waypoint.

I have searched through all the settings and I have been back and forth with Garmin support (worthless) and I cannot find a way to change this "bearing" to display the course to the waypoint. Can anyone help??
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having a similar issue if not the same. The bearing does not adjust correctly as a sail away from the rhumb line. It's about 20 degrees off. Can't tell if it's trying to get me back to the route or what.

I have an Echomap 94sv. I have had two Garmin chartplotters before and never had this issue. I feel like Garmin support is going to be a big waste of time.
J_Grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 10:31   #37

Boat: Adams 45

I'm late to this discussion so excuse me if this was already posted. On a Garmin MFD you can select a single waypoint, or a point on the screen, and choose Go To. Now the route is a line to that single point. If you're off course and want to go straight to that point from your current location, choose Restart Go To.

There is no equivalent for a route. But you can always display the Bearing to the Next Waypoint as one of the data fields.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 10:43   #38

Thanks for your reply. I would rather not have to hit "restart Go To" every minute just because I am tacking to a waypoint rather than heading directly to it. I have never had to do that with any of the two previous Garmin GPSs that I have owned. It simply adjusted the bearing accordingly.

Now this new one adjusts the bearing constantly too, but not to the waypoint. To something quite different. It makes it useless for trying to watch the bearing to know when to tack in order to hit a waypoint.

And yes I am in sailing mode. I guess I should have bought a gpsmap model instead of the cheaper echomap, but I liked having buttons as well as touchscreen.
Old 17-02-2023, 12:59   #39

Boat: Chris White, Atlantic 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Grove View Post
Thanks for your reply. I would rather not have to hit "restart Go To" every minute just because I am tacking to a waypoint rather than heading directly to it. I have never had to do that with any of the two previous Garmin GPSs that I have owned. It simply adjusted the bearing accordingly.

Now this new one adjusts the bearing constantly too, but not to the waypoint. To something quite different. It makes it useless for trying to watch the bearing to know when to tack in order to hit a waypoint.

And yes I am in sailing mode. I guess I should have bought a gpsmap model instead of the cheaper echomap, but I liked having buttons as well as touchscreen.
Hi J-Grove,
It's a bug! They finally admitted it to me. They are working on the fix. I'm not holding my breath but I hope they get it working. They had me perform all types of different scenarios and changes and they finally just admitted something was wrong and they had to go back to submit a dev ticket and request a patch for future release.

BTW...Hitting "Restart Go-To" only works for a few seconds and the course starts to stray again. The only "hack" I have used somewhat successfully is to tap the screen at my desired location and I get a momentary course and distance. Meanwhile I leave the "Route to" on so I get my VMG data.
Atlantic48Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 13:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic48Zen View Post
Hi J-Grove,
It's a bug! They finally admitted it to me. They are working on the fix. I'm not holding my breath but I hope they get it working. They had me perform all types of different scenarios and changes and they finally just admitted something was wrong and they had to go back to submit a dev ticket and request a patch for future release.

BTW...Hitting "Restart Go-To" only works for a few seconds and the course starts to stray again. The only "hack" I have used somewhat successfully is to tap the screen at my desired location and I get a momentary course and distance. Meanwhile I leave the "Route to" on so I get my VMG data.
I suspected it might be a bug of some type. What I found was that if I selected a waypoint, and then go to, and checked the bearing, it would be correct for awhile, and then start to stray. But while it was still in error on the bearing, you could go back to the menu listing your waypoints by name, find the same waypoint, and next to the name, it gives bearing to that waypoint, and that bearing would be correct!

It never seemed to me that it was trying to return me to route either. It's like it just added or subtracted ~20 degrees in some way that wasn't obvious. Bugs often aren't!

Thanks for the doing the legwork with Garmin! I recently updated the firmware on the unit but haven't tested it, I was hopeful ... oh well I guess a "future release" is better than never.

If you have any specific information like a dev ticket number that I could track, and call them to bug them about it as well, please post here when you get a chance. good luck to us both!
Old 17-02-2023, 13:38   #41

Boat: Chris White, Atlantic 48

I'll update the thread as soon as I learn anything new. Please do the same if you learn something.

Thanks,
-Tom
Atlantic48Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 13:44   #42

Will do. The amazing thing to me is how we seem to be the only ones who have noticed this problem! A google search on Garmin bearing error brings up this thread buried in a bunch of stuff for people that don't know difference between heading and bearing, true and magnetic, etc lol
Old 17-02-2023, 13:52   #43

Boat: Adams 45

Maybe it's possible to install older software on the MFD? I have an 8616. I sailed almost every day from June - September, and never saw this problem. Software was last updated sometime in spring, 2022. Boat is on the hard since October, and I have installed the most recent Garmin software, but haven't used it since the update.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 12:39   #44

Sounds like you just need a garmin compass in the system. I had similar issues.. gone with a compass
DiverSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 14:23   #45

I found this thread via a Google search trying to identify the same problem with my Garmin chartplotter. I am using the GPS Map 1042. So thanks for finally getting to the bottom of the problem on page 3, that it is infact BUG that should be fixed ASAP!

I have a fleet of 5 commercial boats and we use both Raymarine and Garmin. The "Goto cursor" tool on all of these units would give a STEADY bearing to our designated waypoint. Except this newer (purchased mid 2022) Garmin unit only wants you to follow the bearing on the line to waypoint as originally generated. If you get off course by the slightest amount it will skew the bearing number all over the place trying ot get you back on the originally calculated line, NOT the bearing from the vessel's current position. The latter is which how all "go to cursor" bearings have always been calculated.

I will also call Garmin support during next weekday opportunity, I can't understand why they would allow this flaw to be present in their systems; embarrassing!!
gofastguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin