Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 13:22   #1

Autohelm ST50 Wind Vane

Hi

My AUTOHELM ST50 WIND VANE has finally died - may it rest in peace.

I require a replacement for it so does anyone out there have a Autohelm ST50 wind-vane for sale either working or non-working ? can be complete or in parts

Or does anyone know where to obtain one from ?

I do not require the display unit as this is still OK

Finally is there a suitable replacement for the ST50 wind-vane that will still work with the Autohelm Seatalk wiring system.

Doug - (dougwm1@hotmail.com)
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 13:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I have buried two. Each of the boats I purchased had them and shortly died. I was never been able to find one but you can get new depth transducers for the ST50 depth. Raymarine will have no parts for any of the ST50 devices. Airmar carries the depth transducer. Your speed log will be the next to die.

There is also the possibility that the wires / connector have gone bad and that still leaves the ancient display. You really can't know if it works OK. A newer Raymarine unit would support Seatalk. I'm not surer how it would daisy chain with the ST50 devices however. Given the age of these units I really would not invest more money in them. Used transducers at this point would be quite old and maybe only last part of a year. The hassle factor is huge. If you just can't spend the money a Kestral hand-held wind meter and some strips of mylar on the shrouds can get you through a season or two.

What I did was install a wireless TackTick. You tap two holes in the top of the masthead and you have completed the installation. They cost more but not that much more these days. Installation sure is a great savings. I'll probably get around to replacing the rest of the ST50 devices with these too. They are very flexible and integrate automagically. I take the display down below at night so I can check the wind from the bunk.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 18:41   #3

An ST 60 should work, may even be compatible with the existing mast plug, so no need to replace the wiring, in doubt "Ask Raymarine" @ ....
chala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm