Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 07:06   #1

Android or Apple Apps for Navigation?

We have just bought an Acer 200 Tablet with GPS that we were hoping to use as back up chart plotter both in the Caribbean (we are in the Eastern Caribbean over the winter on our Bayfield 36 and the Great Lakes in the summer on our trailerable sailboat). So far we have not found apps ...Imray for the Eastern Caribbean seem to be available for the IPAD but we are not finding them for our Android and the same for the Great Lakes. Should we be returning our Acer and buying an Ipad?

Is anyone out there navigating with an Android in the SE Caribbean?

Thanks for your help. We only have 2 days for our return so we need to make a decision soon.
Chrissy
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Android or Apple Apps for Navigation?

I believe Navionics for Android has Caribbean charts. (Not entirely sure, but check it out. . . .)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I am using MX Mariner which is available at Google Play for less than $10. It is pretty basic it works well. Download the NOAA chart region foe your area. You do not have to be online to use it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I love MX Mariner, but I don't think it has easily downloadable Caribbean charts yet (aside from Puerto Rico and the US Virgins).

You can convert various formats to be able to use them in MX, but it's not turnkey.

MX for the Great Lakes would be excellent -- those charts are all part of the app purchase, along with all NOAA charts for everywhere in the U.S.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55   #5

INavX for the iOS platform rocks the house. A bit pricey, but honestly this is one awesome software package. We use ours on iPhones (Cell) and iPads (w/ BT puck) - great product works flawlessly.

Has fully downloadable Charts, good waypoint system, anchor alarm, and of course great touchscreen usability.

Haven't used anything on Windows phone or Android yet

Only downside - drains your batteries quickly.
Old 07-10-2012, 16:24   #6

Really? an electronic back-up for your electronic chart plotter ?You do tripple back up with paper I assume. Apps and Crapps is only as good as the device it is on. Paper will weather voltage drops and flops on the floor, it will even survive a good soaking. So one electronic device is your GPS, Chartplotter, Anchor Alarm and Communication System ? To risky for me!
Old 15-10-2012, 16:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 43

iNavx is by far the best of the ones I have used for iOS, at least for North America and the Caribbeans.

Speaking of backups for a chartplotter I just chartered a boat in the Med, and the chartplotter failed on the 3rd day. As much as I believe in paper charts as a last resort, I was happy to have an iPad with me! Just makes it so much easier.

I have also started using Squidd.io, which has an iOS app. Not a replacement for navigation software, but great for finding marinas and anchorages, and sharing your position over iphone or sat phone.
coupdemistral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation