Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2020, 17:51   #1

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 46 Ketch
AM radio interference from neighbouring boat in marina

G’day all,
The boat housed next to me in the marina has recently had installed, a new battery charger, and I have since endured intermittent static on my am radio frequency as it cycles on. I can get around this by switching power off to that boat while I listen to am programmes, but this is inconvenient for both of us, even though he is rarely there
My neighbour is aware of this and probably happy to pursue a plausible solution.
Can anyone advise a simple course of action to remedy this as I research inline suppressors, faraday cage option etc?
Mark Cusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 17:54   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: AM radio interference from neighbouring boat in marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cusack View Post
G’day all,
The boat housed next to me in the marina has recently had installed, a new battery charger, and I have since endured intermittent static on my am radio frequency as it cycles on. I can get around this by switching power off to that boat while I listen to am programmes, but this is inconvenient for both of us, even though he is rarely there
My neighbour is aware of this and probably happy to pursue a plausible solution.
Can anyone advise a simple course of action to remedy this as I research inline suppressors, faraday cage option etc?
Did he instal a proper marine battery charger, or a non-shielded Pep-Boys $49 special?
Old 28-04-2020, 18:03   #3

He tells me it was a cheap option purchased online to run batteries and fridge. I do not have any further details on it.
Old 28-04-2020, 21:29   #4

what happens if you unplug your boat? I wonder if it's backfeeding noise to your boat via the grid. or actually putting stuff into the air.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 21:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
what happens if you unplug your boat? I wonder if it's backfeeding noise to your boat via the grid. or actually putting stuff into the air.
I still get the interference when unplugged, and am not the only boat nearby experiencing this.
Old 29-04-2020, 03:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Radio Frequency Interference is common with battery chargers that utilize switching power supplies.
Sorry, but I know no easy fixes, or after market AC line filters, that can eliminate the battery charger Radio Frequency Interference.
However, one way to reduce the RFI, is to increase the distance between radio & charger (one of the boats moves).
Conducted interference is eliminated by connecting the radio & charger to different circuits.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 05:01   #7

Thanks Gord,
I had a feeling in my urine this could be a negotiated outcome, and have a spare fridge transformer on offer to bypass batteries and use shore power while in marina.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers
Old 29-04-2020, 10:40   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Thanks Gord,
I had a feeling in my urine this could be a negotiated outcome, and have a spare fridge transformer on offer to bypass batteries and use shore power while in marina.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers
Never provide a solution like that to a neighboring boat. If anything goes wrong with the neighbors refrigeration he will blame you. Instead insist that he install a good quality marine battery charger. Sell him on the fact that he is probably ruining his batteries with a cheap charger.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:04   #9

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Some marinas care about boats using improper equipment... Increased risk of fire, etc.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 12:27   #10
Marine Service Provider

I have the same problem with the battery storage and backup photo-voltaic system I had installed on my house. The AM radio interference is from the Outback inverter installed by the contractor. Turn the inverter off and the AM is clear as a bell. It affects my car radio on AM but if I drive fifty or so feet down the driveway it clears up.

I did some research and learned that the FCC granted an exemption to installers of home PV systems. In commercial buildings FCC regulations prohibit any kind of RFI from such systems. This is all driven by the politically and environmentally correct crowd (believers in the religion of man-made-global warming) to facilitate more residential use of solar power.

My system does not interfere with FM, only AM. I don't have an HF radio but I suspect that it might interfere with that as well. You might check into the FCC/USCG regs to see if these RFI spewing inverters are prohibited on vessels as well as shore-side commercial applications.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 13:05   #11

Boat: Seaward 26RK

I assume that all wiring on neighbour's boat is clean and neat as usually done on all boats I ever been on.
Option 1( easy):Try to separate 2 charging wires between the charger and the battery from the rest of the wires and twist them - the more turns the better but 5"-6" should do - depends on the length of the wires. In addition you can wrap them in aluminum cooking foil. One end( one only) of aluminum foil you can either connect to through hull( if it is made from metal) or battery negative. If it works then you can try to reattached these twisted wires to the rest of wires. If there are separate sensing wires between charger and the battery then they may need to be twisted as well. But usually there is very little current through them.
Option 2) Connect choke/inductance in series with one of the charging wire. For the testing purposes you can make it yourself. Take the wire of same gauge or bigger as a charging wire and make a coil with several turns. More turns and bigger diameter - the better but not to the point that charging wire significantly increases in length. If you find ferritic metal ( iron, not SS or copper) - then it is even better. See if it works
Option 3) Installing ferritic chokes on your AC cord to the radio ( if it is powered from AC) though I doubt they work.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 14:28   #12

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

You could try wrapping his charger in tinfoil, or putting it inside an ammo can.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 15:42   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
He tells me it was a cheap option purchased online to run batteries and fridge. I do not have any further details on it.
This is trouble...for him.

An automotive battery charger....aka "cheap"...presents a load when not powered on. This will actually drain his batteries if still in the charge circuit, which it likely is, when away from the dock.

Also, automotive chargers are not spark protected, and can possibly ignite the hydrogen gas emitted from FLA batteries while charging.

I bought a Paceship 29 for cheap, because the previous owner had continual trouble starting the engine. No mechanic could find anything wrong, so he sold the boat. I had the same trouble on my delivery home, but resolved it by disconnecting everything from the batteries except the engine. The charger, of course, was in a hidden spot, not easily accessible. Long story short, I learned a lot about chargers and batteries. I kept the charger disconnected, bought new batteries, and had no further trouble. Moral of the story....use a MARINE charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simcoe I Sailing 124.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	213991  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 17:13   #14

Boat: SeaFox Voyager 256 25 foot

Try ferrites on the wires
Randall M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 17:20   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Is there anything worth listening to on AM radio?

Tags
boat, enc, interference, radio