Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 06:36   #31

Boat: Contessa 32
Re: AIS wanted on my Cape Dory 25D

Thanks Jim and Thomm,
I have a Garmin 800 headed this way and also plan to install the external GPS passive antenna for receive. I’ll use my VHF antenna for the time being.

The GPS unit requires the MMSI number to be programmed and I got somewhat conflicting information on how to make that happen. One source says that the unit can be programmed using a laptop and another source says this data must be installed by a Garmin dealer. I have located a semi local dealer and they say I can drop it off and they will do what’s needed.

The only other issue is getting the 800 connected to my 720S display. I’m told I’ll need a “backbone” adapter and the NMEA cable to make that connection. I do see these items available from several sources with the backbone part costing a little over $100 and the cable about $20.

Does all this sound right?

Thanks again!
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 15:06   #32

Boat: Contessa 32
Re: AIS wanted on my Cape Dory 25D

I had a nice surprise from Garmin. I called the technical number and asked if I could use two drop cables for the hookup instead of the drop cable and the backbone cable. My two runs are about 3' to the display and about 18" to the AIS 800. The backbone cable is way way to long and would have to be coiled up to minimize cables hanging around in the cabin.

The guy checked and after awhile came back with the answer that the drop cables would work. The starter set has a backbone cable that's about 20' long. This was great news and after thanking him I ordered another drop cable to replace the long backbone cable.

Garmin sent me the cable after I ordered it for FREE!!

How's that for customer service??
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cape dory, wanted