Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 14:29   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Bird Spikes on Radar Array

We were recently assigned a new berth and now we have a terrible problem with birds perching on our radome. Their droppings make it look like the boat has been abandoned for years even though weíre usually down several times a week. Itís a nonstop fight to keep the boat clean.

Has anyone had success with glueing bird spikes to the top of a radome? I canít see how it could affect the radar but I thought I would ask before proceeding. Itís a Garmin radome mounted on the mizzenmast.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 14:44   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Bird Spikes on Radar Array

I recently put these on the aft end of my bimini because egrets and gulls were perching there and making a mess in the aft end of the cockpit. It worked immediately. I have not needed to add them to my raydome but I have no doubt they would work there.
Grovind 21.6 FT Bird Spikes for Small Birds, Cats, Raccoons and Dogs, Bird Deterrent Spikes to Keep Birds Away.

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09126W6S3...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Now I just need to keep the little grackle type birds off my masthead, spreaders, backstay and the topping lift for my Dutchman system. They drop crap and palm berries faster than I can clean it up.
Tayana42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 14:40   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bird Spikes on Radar Array

There are predatory bird calls you can set up to play randomly, that do an excellent job of keeping birds away. Try Googling on it. Sorry, don't know the name of it, but have seen it in action. The area was cleared for about 1/3 mi. around the boat that played the calls. My Jim didn't care for the noise, either, but nice not to be cormorant splooped, too.

Here's a link to another thread on this topic: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ly-210919.html

Ann
Old 13-10-2021, 18:25   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Hang up a dead bird, in the rigging. It'll keep birds away for 1/5 of a mile or so.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 18:51   #5

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We were recently assigned a new berth and now we have a terrible problem with birds perching on our radome. Their droppings make it look like the boat has been abandoned for years even though weíre usually down several times a week. Itís a nonstop fight to keep the boat clean.

Has anyone had success with glueing bird spikes to the top of a radome? I canít see how it could affect the radar but I thought I would ask before proceeding. Itís a Garmin radome mounted on the mizzenmast.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Yes..! Used bird spikes on dome to keep cormorants away after they started roosting on dome last year. (What a mess!) I used 3M high bond tape to install. Also did masthead - and Trip wires on spreaders have worked for years too.
Old 14-10-2021, 09:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Baba 40

Get the plastic ones (we found ours at Tractor Supply). Goop’d ‘em down. Also zip tied some to our spreaders. Much success!!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 13:21   #7

Boat: Mirage 33

We use a plastic owl from the hardware store. Stick a broom handle or suchlike inside him and attach to a stanchion. Any breeze makes him look like he's looking around. No muss no fuss.
Peter
pmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 14:27   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Can you organise 4 mm diameter [1/8th inch] cordage looped around and arranged in a mesh, 100 mm above the radar dome. This will deter bird landings.
You could similarly use netting that is sold to close the gap between stanchions, commonly seen to contain spinnakers when dropped on foredeck.

I have successfully used cordage mesh on the foredeck to prevent arctic terns from nesting while I was on a mooring.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 16:13   #9

Lottsa good ideas here. However, just be pleased you don't get visits from Australian cockatoos. They are like a mess of badly behaved teenage boys. They are extremely raucous and set about pulling anything apart. They really like wind speed and direction sensors or small antennae at the masthead. They swing on them, showing off, and then bend them. But they will have a chat with you though, and sometimes will even dance with you. They usually descend on a marina so they can all have a show off site.
Once sailing across The Gulf of Carpentaria a large albatross (assumed) sat on our pushpit for days on end. Following weather so no poos on the boat.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar