Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: AIS TRANSPONDERS .

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
You should mention which model. AMEC has a newer model 108.

We have the 101. Based on the 101 and the antenna splitter poor performance, I can't recommend anyone use any of their products based on our experience. Whether their "next generation" is any better, someone else will have to decide. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:08   #17

Boat: sailing yacht , 39 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by patr1707 View Post
I got a Watchmate 850 by Vesper marine and am very happy with it. I have it hooked up to my e series display too. Their new one has Wi-Fi and a color screen. Not too expensive either, got mine on defender.

Is it ok to connect the wesper watch mate 850 to raymarine c95 plotter via NMEA 183? No problems? Is the same information displayed on both?
Going to buy the watchmate because of the external alarm. Having hearing problems and this function is superb/

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
seglarpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:48   #18

Boat: Catalina C-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We have the 101. Based on the 101 and the antenna splitter poor performance, I can't recommend anyone use any of their products based on our experience. Whether their "next generation" is any better, someone else will have to decide. Chuck
Chuck, what exactly was wrong with the Camino 101? I have been using one aboard for about 3 years combined with a Vesper SP160 splitter and have been very pleased with the Camino's performance. Just curious. Thanks!
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:43   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: AIS Transponders

rodney, we have had issues with the unit since we installed it. After about a year it had to go back for repairs because we could not pick up anything beyond 1/3 mile away and our own signal would come and go. We were sold a "matching" antenna splitter with the 101 and later found out it was the major cause of us not being able to pick up any signals more that a mile or two away and many receivers were not getting our information. I finally removed the splitter and put the AIS on it's own antenna with good results. When I complained to Miltech Marine, where we bought the units, they said nothing was wrong with the splitter. But surprisingly, they no longer carry it. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 09:14   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

seglarpeter,
Addressing your specific questions....

1) Yes, it is perfectly fine to connect your Vesper Watchmate 850 AIS transponder to your Raymarine C95 plotter....

2) No, you should have no problems....

3) But, you need to be aware that depending upon what else you have connected to your C95, and how you C95 is configured, you will most likely need to configure one of your plotter's NMEA inputs for 38.4k baud rate (the AIS data transfer rate) rather than the standard NMEA rate of 4.8k baud....and you may end up needing to reassign a NMEA input of the plotter, for this purpose.....
And/or, in a worst-case scenario, again depending in how your nav/instrument system is wired/configured, you may end up needing a NMEA mux (multiplexer) or a NMEA to SeaTalkNG converter (NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter)....
{Not having you C95 (I have a E-120 and a E-80), nor knowing how your nav system is wired/configured, it's impossible for me to give an absolute answer...}

4) This is the most important question you asked....and the most difficult to explain in simple text on a page...
Quote:
Originally Posted by seglarpeter View Post
Is the same information displayed on both?
....this function is superb/
The Vesper Watchmate's have some UNIQUE features and display functions that other displays do NOT have, not even chartplotters costing 1000's of $$$...
So, while the short answer to your question is, mostly yes....mostly the same information is displayed on both....
BUT....
But, the Vesper Watchmate displays things differently (better), and has more "AIS info".....not the least of which is their "CPA Page" display, which is without-a-doubt the best graphical display of a vessel crossing, or vessel approach, that is on the market today!!

If you are in coastal areas, and/or areas with shoals or needing to make course changes around islands, and/or needing the radar to plot around heavy squalls, etc., then you may be running your C95, and might use its display to see/evaluate AIS targets....
But, in every other circumstance, especially on the open ocean, you will not need the plotter, and therefore will be running just the Vesper Watchmate....

I hope you don't mind the detailed answers, even if they're not absolute...

Fair winds...

John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 23:09   #21

Boat: Catalina C-42
Re: AIS Transponders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
rodney, we have had issues with the unit since we installed it. After about a year it had to go back for repairs because we could not pick up anything beyond 1/3 mile away and our own signal would come and go. We were sold a "matching" antenna splitter with the 101 and later found out it was the major cause of us not being able to pick up any signals more that a mile or two away and many receivers were not getting our information. I finally removed the splitter and put the AIS on it's own antenna with good results. When I complained to Miltech Marine, where we bought the units, they said nothing was wrong with the splitter. But surprisingly, they no longer carry it. Chuck

Thanks for the clarification Chuck. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais