Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2019, 02:39   #61

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)
Re: AIS starting from scratch what's best way to go at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporware View Post
I would look at the Vesper XB 8000 with either a dedicated antenna or the Vesper splitter. The combined package of the XB 8000 and splitter costs about the same as the Digital Yacht and the capabilities are similar. Vesper's customer support is phenomenal. The provide regular updates and it works well with multiple apps. I have a Watchmate Vision, which is essentially the same as the XB 8000 with an added display. Even though I bought mine used and they were aware of it, their support was great.
Totally agree with this. I use XB 8000 connected to laptop by wifi, with a Vesper watchmate 670 display as back-up and, importantly, for anchor watch.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 04:50   #62

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
Totally agree with this. I use XB 8000 connected to laptop by wifi, with a Vesper watchmate 670 display as back-up and, importantly, for anchor watch.
I've been a dedicated Vesper fan for years, but...

Lately, Vesper has gone dark. No postings here or on other forums where they used to pop up and help customers solve problems. No updates. No promised enhancements.

They're now pushing their new hardware, designed to make (they seem to believe) everything else obsolete.

Granted, the XB-8000 is still great hardware, but I'm starting to worry they may be going down the path Garmin took.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 05:08   #63
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've been a dedicated Vesper fan for years, but...

Lately, Vesper has gone dark. No postings here or on other forums where they used to pop up and help customers solve problems. No updates. No promised enhancements.

They're now pushing their new hardware, designed to make (they seem to believe) everything else obsolete.

Granted, the XB-8000 is still great hardware, but I'm starting to worry they may be going down the path Garmin took.
Indeed. Their new kit is pretty but not my choice. Here are my recommendations:

- AIS transponder: get a simple black box transponder, with dedicated antenna. The Vesper XB-6000 or equivalent from other brands would be my choice now. It must have a fully supported nmea2000 port, a modern GPS/GLONASS/Galileo receiver with internal and optional external antenna. I would probably buy a new SOTDMA transponder.

- VHF radio: my current choice is the Standard Horizon 1850 with fully supported nmea2000 Port but no AIS at all. Good dedicated antenna high up (higher than AIS antenna; put VHF at masthead, AIS on upper spreader) and their new wired remote RAM 4 mike in the cockpit.

- Wifi: a “do-it-all” router like this one I just got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the new nmea2000 to Ethernet gateway from Yacht Devices: https://www.yachtd.com/news/ethernet_gateway.html

With these you keep it to simple components that can work independently and I think are some of the best available. Of course you need more hardware to display AIS targets etc. but I assume a plotter is already installed. Also, with everything on wifi, an iPad with iSailor can outperform most plotters
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 07:59   #64

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
...and the new nmea2000 to Ethernet gateway from Yacht Devices: https://www.yachtd.com/news/ethernet_gateway.html
First I'd seen. Looks like a nice solution for under $200. I'd be putting in my order as soon as they are released, if I didn't already have my Vesper. Big advantage is not having to depend on the vendor (Vesper) never making the upgrades to provide additional NMEA data over WiFi like they promised.

From that link, I also found out about yet another new NMEA standard. Actually, thinking about it, it's probably time. NMEA 2000 is theoretically 20 years old, even if it wasn't really seen in the wild back then.

I actually like the idea. Of course, the devil will be in the details, and in how many vendors actually start supporting it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 08:15   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
- AIS transponder: get a simple black box transponder, with dedicated antenna. The Vesper XB-6000 or equivalent from other brands would be my choice now. It must have a fully supported nmea2000 port, a modern GPS/GLONASS/Galileo receiver with internal and optional external antenna. I would probably buy a new SOTDMA transponder.

- VHF radio: my current choice is the Standard Horizon 1850 with fully supported nmea2000 Port but no AIS at all. Good dedicated antenna high up (higher than AIS antenna; put VHF at masthead, AIS on upper spreader) and their new wired remote RAM 4 mike in the cockpit.

With these you keep it to simple components that can work independently and I think are some of the best available.
Phew , we have just done exactly this.

Interestingly, it is actually getting hard to buy a quality VHF in the UK that doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Lots advertised of course, but none in stock. The idea of looking at AIS on a VHF screen the size of a match box is just barking and clutters up the VHF screen. Not even sure about DCS, I just want a radio to pick up the mic and talk to someone.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 04:02   #66

Quote:
I believe a class-B transponder uses the internal GPS receiver, never an external one. Mine has a 50 channel receiver that supports all the constellations
AIS must use location to operate.
AIS A is mandatory for most commercial vessels (there are B exceptions) and therefore external location (GPS, GNSS) is inputted from other vessel sources.
AIS B with an included GPS antenna for the location is mandatory as expectation of available external GPS information is not regulated .

Caution on the AIS B internal GPS- this unit was primarily designed as an integral part of a VHF radio, and the internal GPS antenna (located in the display screen) was intended for a VHF radio that sees the sky, like on a open bridge or center console vessel. If installed below decks, the internal antenna will only see the reflected GPS signals as they ( simplicity explained ) bounce down the companionway. This may or may not degrade the location information from little to a great deal. Aka this is why it has provisions for external antenna.

Splitters have significantly more negatives than a dedicated tuned AIS antenna. The simple reason splitters exist as a last resort is altitude of the transmitting antenna. Particularly Ais B , the antenna minimum 3 meters from the water will suffice for the low power. Ideally is a lower spreader or a radar mast.
Good seamanship, particularly the blue water cruisers, is asking why would one combine two independant communication methodologies into one splitter, wire, and antenna that will increase three-fold the risk of no communication. Particularly with the number of so-called low-loss unregulated manufactured splitters on the market. There is very little cost savings between the dedicated antenna and splitter.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, grass, men