Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2022, 12:11   #1

Airmar DST810: only depth on MFD/ plotter.

There is an Airmar DST810 Smart built into my boat. This is a single sensor for both depth, speed and temperature. The Airmar DST810 works well because via Bluetooth I see the three pieces of data on the Airmar Cast app.

The Airmar is connected to a B&G Zeus² plotter via an NMEA2000 backbone with a G3 radar as well. From NMEA2000 I hoped for an easy management of the data streams but in practice only the depth but not the speed is shown on the plotter.

When the network is extended further via a converter cable to the Raymarine ST60 displays that work with Seatalk, the opposite situation is seen: speed but no depth.

Where in the information flow processing is it going wrong? I would have liked to see the speed and depth on both the plotter and the Raymarine ST60 displays.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 17:41   #2

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: Airmar DST810: only depth on MFD/ plotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
There is an Airmar DST810 Smart built into my boat. This is a single sensor for both depth, speed and temperature. The Airmar DST810 works well because via Bluetooth I see the three pieces of data on the Airmar Cast app.

The Airmar is connected to a B&G Zeus² plotter via an NMEA2000 backbone with a G3 radar as well. From NMEA2000 I hoped for an easy management of the data streams but in practice only the depth but not the speed is shown on the plotter.
Sure, you should customize your Zeus' instrument panels by selecting what you want to see.

Quote:
When the network is extended further via a converter cable to the Raymarine ST60 displays that work with Seatalk, the opposite situation is seen: speed but no depth.

Where in the information flow processing is it going wrong? I would have liked to see the speed and depth on both the plotter and the Raymarine ST60 displays.
You need to provide more information about the NMEA2000 -> Seatalk conversion device. If the conversion is through NMEA0183, it is possible that the problem is that there are several sentences for the depth (DBT, DPT, DBK), and the transmitter and receiver do not understand each other.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 14:15   #3

Thanks for thinking along.
In the meantime all obstacles are solved except for one detail.

As I thought it was not because of the wiring and what is related to it because the information about the depth from the DST810 could be seen on plotter and app and is sent via the same sensor and cable to the backbone and from the speed on the ST60 displays.

Problem 1: B&G Zeus² plotter shows depth but not speed. Via settings/network/ I saw that the Airmar DST810 is not set as default for speed but it is for depth. Strange because no other depth or speed sensor was ever connected before.

Problem 2: the Raymarine Seatalk 60 displays only show speed but not depth. This was changed by switching the depth display from master to repeater mode.

The only problem is that the depth is displayed in ft. and not meters. Setting this can only be done in master mode but it is not included when switching back to repeater mode. Is this too much to ask?
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 15:37   #4

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

In Seatalk, depth information is always sent in feet, but a bit in the frame indicates whether it should be displayed in feet or meters.

The sender of that data is the one that includes that bit, which is normally the master device (where the transducer is connected in Seatalk).

If the gateway (N2k -> Seatalk) does not add that bit, you will see it in feet and you will not be able to do anything to change it.

J.L.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth