Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 20:18   #781

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Those that say they want to go but but but...
There is never enough money, there are always reasons not to go and you are never ready.
Just decide to go, and like the nike slogan "just do it"!
Apparently, for every 100 that talk about it, 1% by a boat, and about 10% of THEM actually leave!
If you are still dithering, you don't "want to" enough! Talk is cheap. You don't NEED a 50ft modern cat you know.... Go smaller, go now!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:41   #782

Boat: Endeavour 33

I agree, as long as one is happy with their direction, that's all that really matters. Life is made of dreams, I see it all the time. In addition to my crop dusting, I'm also a Flight Instructor, both general aviation and aerial application (the preferred label for a professional crop duster pilot). I couldn't tell you how many people I've taught to fly over the years. I've seen all kinds, the wannabes, as well as those that are committed to their dreams. The wannabe pilots seem to be restrained by the cost, always concerned with how much will they have to spend. I can identify with that as well. I don't have much in the way of money, but I do know how to make things happen. In fact, I feel that God has blessed me with a creative mind rather than a fat bank account. For example, when I decided I wanted to become a crop duster, I contacted the World's largest crop dusting school in Southern Georgia and spoke several times with the owner about what was involved for a guy like me that was already a commercial pilot and flight instructor with tailwheel experience. Two weeks before Christmas in 2009 the owner of the school made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I was to teach new wannabes how to fly for 5 months, I was paid quite well, and I was provided a brand new apartment, at the airport, with all utilities included. My bonus was that I got my crop dusting training, (a $17,000 value) for free. With my wife's blessings, I packed my truck, headed to Georgia and never looked back. The point is that where there's a will, there's a way. Be creative, break down your dreams to simple, obtainable goals. Don't rely on others, become self sufficient and in charge of your own happiness, it's your journey, you might as well enjoy it.
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:15   #783

Boat: In between boats

It really is amazing how many ways Fate's wrench can find its way into the machine building your dreams. Aren't most dreams compromised by a combination of finances, commitments, opportunities and chaos?? And the only way to restart would be to focus on the first, forego the following and remain fluid with the last. However, perspective is subjective and we all continually wannabee the next thing.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:23   #784

Boat: Endeavour 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
It really is amazing how many ways Fate's wrench can find its way into the machine building your dreams. Aren't most dreams compromised by a combination of finances, commitments, opportunities and chaos?? And the only way to restart would be to focus on the first, forego the following and remain fluid with the last. However, perspective is subjective and we all continually wannabee the next thing.
How true this is. I have a friend that is always looking for the "BBD" the Bigger and Better Deal. Consequently he's always changing jobs, buying another vehicle, getting a girlfriend with bigger tits...etc. He never seems to be content. At some point being content with what we have, or where we are in life, should bring peace. I wish we all will find peace and contentment with our lives and live within our means.
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:07   #785

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi all...ya know, as a kinda wannabe (I've been seriously trying to do this for 5 yrs.) I can see all the sudden, new-found perils this lifestyle brings about and at a very rapid pace I might add. My 30' Irwin is getting a bottom job and a go over and I should have her in March or April the latest...I have been reading and cramming so much info into my overworked little brain that I can see how this can overwhelm many people...then there's the $$$. When i think about all the things I need to learn...my oh my...then there's navigation! I hear from a lot of people,"there's GPS, it's a snap" YEA for those of you who either have done it/can do it, or are a little more into the electronics age than some of us older wannabees.
I for one am not a quitter and even if it kills me I will still be out there doing what I wanna do, or trying anyway,and that is to sail and enjoy life again! One thought keeps me going..."Colombus got here on that primitive equipment"...I CAN do this!
I would like to thank all of you for the wonderful knowledge you bring to us in a relatively fast and easy manner. This site is absolutely the BEST!
God Bless you all...May there be wind in your sails.....
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 13:10   #786

Boat: Hunter 44ds

What happened to YoloSF? I'm a young wannabe myself and was excited about his grandiose plans to do a 2 year circumnavigation on a production boat. Now I see his Beneteau is for sale
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 14:07   #787

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
..."Colombus got here on that primitive equipment"...
Columbus was aiming for China, and hit the Bahamas. Learn the GPS!
Old 10-02-2015, 14:33   #788

Boat: Pearson P30

Been a wannabe for 45 years, this year after two heart attacks, I'm a doabee. All paid for, not going RTW, but around Long Island, we'll see after that milestone.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 14:46   #789

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by P30Dude View Post
Been a wannabe for 45 years, this year after two heart attacks, I'm a doabee. All paid for, not going RTW, but around Long Island, we'll see after that milestone.

THIS^ is awesome and it made me smile. Go get em.
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 14:58   #790

Boat: Pearson P30

Thanks Flamingo1, ironically I named her Flatline.

P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 15:57   #791

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P30Dude View Post
Thanks Flamingo1, ironically I named her Flatline.

Great name.
Old 10-02-2015, 16:07   #792

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

When I bought my first boat I was broke. I found myself in the midst of a bunch of millionaires who told me that I had no place going to sea on what little I had, that I would be dead in a year and that I'd probably take a coastguard crew with me.

Ten years on, I'm still kicking. I've done a lot of miles and I'm on my sixth boat, having sold the previous five to young guys with next to nothing who are (mostly) now living the dream.

The people who work the hardest and are the most practically minded are usually the least wealthy. As a result, I meet loads of rich men who are scared to leave the harbour and plenty of fit, intelligent people who hunt, surf, maintain their own homes and vehicles and have a perception that they'll never be able to afford the kind of boat you can leave the harbour in.

I propose that next time you sell your blue water boat, offer to finance the boat to a young 'wannabe' who has the mental and physical attributes of an entrepreneurial survivor. I know a bunch of guys who'd make it work if it weren't for the crippling up-front cost. We probably all know boat owners with more money than capability.

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 07:52   #793
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 22' kako star

http://www.barbadosprivatetourguide.com/
skipper Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 22:15   #794

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Well, I can tell you what happens to some wannabees... they sail off and become 'havetobees'. So pretty important to be really sure you wannabee.
I've been surprised to see how many people we've met who are heading home to get off their sailing treadmill. Most have been sailing for 5 or more years but we've made friends with cruisers from Sweden, Germany, USA, Italy who have crossed the Indian Ocean and are making their way around S. Africa, because they have to, to get home. Most are still in good spirits, but are tired.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:38   #795
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 22' kako star

When you have money you can think what you want eh !

I still thinking where is mine ! lOL
Oh yeah it was stolen by greedy in laws and uncles , thats rite I remember now .. RRRRRRRRRRRRR Dem day will come wid I .

Well, I can tell you what happens to some wannabees... they sail off and become 'havetobees'. So pretty important to be really sure you wannabee.
I've been surprised to see how many people we've met who are heading home to get off their sailing treadmill. Most have been sailing for 5 or more years but we've made friends with cruisers from Sweden, Germany, USA, Italy who have crossed the Indian Ocean and are making their way around S. Africa, because they have to, to get home. Most are still in good spirits, but are tired.[/QUOTE]
skipper Vance is offline   Reply With Quote