Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 04:57   #1

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

So what do you mean by a "wannabe'. Personally I find your use of the term offensive.

Much of the reason is because I still seem to get lumped with this tag just because I lived inland for a while after my diver and spear fisherman father passed away. The fact I have lived next the sea, surfing, fishing and diving for over the last 27 years doesn't for some even seem to count me in. It so sucks that some want to revel in the misery of others.

On the other hand, to be "real" should I drop all my morals, get an imitation shark tooth necklace and run around calling anyone I think just does not cut it a "wannabe"?
Old 23-09-2012, 05:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
So what do you mean by a "wannabe'. Personally I find your use of the term offensive.

Much of the reason is because I still seem to get lumped with this tag just because I lived inland for a while after my diver and spear fisherman father passed away. The fact I have lived next the sea, surfing, fishing and diving for over the last 27 years doesn't for some even seem to count me in. It so sucks that some want to revel in the misery of others.

On the other hand, to be "real" should I get an imitation shark tooth necklace and run around calling anyone I think just does not cut it a "wannabe"?
i allways tell my novice delivery crew when questioned about getting jobs in the superyacht industry, that after they have got their stcw95,to get a pair of raybands,some docksiders,a polo shirt preferably with a yacht logo on it,so they can look the part and walk the docks looking for jobs!
works every time.

in your case perhaps it is better to be seen as a wannabe than a hasbeen!
just kidding,

the aim of the thread was to provoke a reponse,and hopefully get some good stories,as others have pointed out we were all wannabees at some stage,turning our dreams into reality.

so all i can say to you is if it offends,i apologise,but in the mean time thanks for all the great follow up stories the members are posting

and to borrow a cliche........just do it!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 14:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i allways tell my novice delivery crew when questioned about getting jobs in the superyacht industry, that after they have got their stcw95,to get a pair of raybands,some docksiders,a polo shirt preferably with a yacht logo on it,so they can look the part and walk the docks looking for jobs!
works every time.

in your case perhaps it is better to be seen as a wannabe than a hasbeen!
just kidding,

the aim of the thread was to provoke a reponse,and hopefully get some good stories,as others have pointed out we were all wannabees at some stage,turning our dreams into reality.,

so all i can say to you is if it offends,i apologise,but in the mean time thanks for all the great follow up stories the members are posting

and to borrow a cliche........just do it!

Thanks for the explanation.

Tell you the truth I am sure I must have made the repairer where I am getting some insurance work domes wannabe list. As soon as I realised they had committed major details from the claim they blamed me. So I went back and assessed the work they had done. For "experts" they had even drilled the holes for the bow navigation lights the wrong way around!

Eventually I am going to get this boat sailing again, but it constantly seems to be a battle. To make it you need to be more a warrior than wannabe! Oh yeah, on the "has been" bit I am still surfing as well as ever.

Then again, just in case anyone wants to push issues like this I do a bit of karate and mixed martial arts when I am back in my home port. It still rubs me up beyond belief that some want to test me as a "has been" or "wannabe" just because I lived inland for a while under tragic circumstances.

OK, finished my morning cup of tea. Time to wax up, jump overboard and go for my daily paddle.
Old 23-09-2012, 14:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Tell you the truth I am sure I must have made the repairer where I am getting some insurance work domes wannabe list. As soon as I realised they had committed major details from the claim they blamed me. So I went back and assessed the work they had done. For "experts" they had even drilled the holes for the bow navigation lights the wrong way around!

Eventually I am going to get this boat sailing again, but it constantly seems to be a battle. To make it you need to be more a warrior than wannabe!
keep on keeping on! it will all be worth it in the end,sometimes judging oneself againt others can be a folly,especilly when they turn out to be headless chickens thinking the sky just fell in
Old 23-09-2012, 15:16   #5

Quote:
keep on keeping on! it will all be worth it in the end,sometimes judging oneself againt others can be a folly,especilly when they turn out to be headless chickens thinking the sky just fell in
Yep, a lot of "headless chickens" over here thinking they know all. Just such a boring and draining battle trying to avoid their poo. Another good reason to get this boat moving again and get my freedom back"
Old 23-09-2012, 18:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Bought a much smaller boat than planned, on the good advice of many. <snip>

In the end it turned out the seller was either lying or clueless, the surveyor likewise.
<snip>

I ended up staying on land, working double full time jobs to try and keep afloat financially. Haven't had a single day off since April, a lot of days I'm at my first job at 8:30 am, at about 3 I leave to start my night shift.
If I have an evening or some daytime off I work on her.

<snip>

Maybe that makes me a wanna be. Mostly it just makes me a bit sad. Sure would have been nice to buy an honest boat and spend some time on the water.
Tough story and sorry for you troubles. Not to make an example of you but there are often underestimations of what it takes to get a boat going on a budget - and everyone is on a budget - you apparently got misled by some people.

The risk of buying a boat early in the adventure is one does not really know what to look for. There are bad sellers, brokers and surveyors. Having time on OPB (other people's boats) allows one to see what breaks, what is good and what is bad.

Unless one has deep pockets a big part of this hobby is fixing boats (sometimes in exotic locations) -

Part of buying small is that the errors are cheaper to recover from. My 26 foot boat has been a 5 year learning experience in boat maintenance, sailing and boat costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I am a full on Wannabee, I wanna be on my boat sailing to the Kimberlys, 6000 miles away.

<snip>

But I wannabe on my boat and sailing, Sitting here waiting is driving me nuts,
I have absolutely no problem with the wannabe monniker.

I am a wannabe retiree/cruiser. At some point I may graduate to gonnabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Been stuck here in the boatyard at Herrington Harbor in Deale Md for a year, the whole time telling family and friends "she'll be in the water any day now.". When planning this adventure I completely forgot that I wasn't in my twenties anymore and wasn't willing to work in 100 degree, boatyard heat all summer.
This is a big deal. I work all week and it is so easy on the weekends to get up late and fart around.

My dad would always get up at 6am on Saturday and Sunday. I asked him why he didn't chill. He'd say, "I get up every day for the bastards. I get up on the weekend for me."

It is brutally hot here from around 2pm till 5pm. I have settled into an 8am start and a 2pm knockoff time. Saturday with people coming I am motivated to get going. Sunday I was drinking my morning coffee getting carried away with CF threads and almost delayed going. I finally launched about an hour late and got 5 hours in.

Getting started is key for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Wannabee is some one who has a dream, some put it into action, some dont, For what ever reason,

Most Wannabee's at least try.

Poser, The only way I can describe that is in the following.

A person buys a motor bike and all the matching gear and accessorys,
Rides it to the local coffee shop or pub and back home again, But only on bright sunny days,
They do not ride the bike any where else,
So we need to collect the definitions.

Wannabe - Doing something but wants to be doing something else. I wannabe retired and I wannabe cruising on a cat. Right now I am a day/coastal/racing sailor with a small boat learning tons everyday.
Poser - Buys the gear looks right. Maybe in our world buys a great new boat, a silly captain hat and mixes margaritas at the dock - never sails
Newbie - First timer. There are many folks that show up here that are not newbies. They sailed or boated in a previous life and are getting back into it. Maybe new to internet or CF but not to boats. A newbie can be a wannabe.

I think we need a couple of new definitions so we can offend more people - LOL

Gonnabe - Advanced far enough in current plans to have a shot at it. Making forward progress. Right now I am a boat repairman (Relax Lah is on the hard) but I am making forward progress - in a few weeks I am gonnabe a sailor.
wontbe - This is the rude one. Most of us who have been here a while can spot the wontbes. I won't go any further with this other than to say they really have their heads in the clouds and really don't take any advice well. I don't spend much time on those threads. Predominantly characterized by a first post with outrageous plans. Absolutely nothing wrong with first posts or low post counts. We all started with one.

Don't know how I am doing on the catamaran cruising plan - maybe still a wannabe. Hope I am not a wontbe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greercrawley View Post
Perhaps it just takes some wannabees a longer "wanna" before they "be". After months of procrastination, I completed my ASA 101 (Basic Keelboat) certification yesterday. Next up, Coastal Navigation. I shall BE someday.

A dream only becomes unreachable when it is given up.
See - I think you are a gonnabe. Making forward progress...

Quote:
Great thread Atoll. Just the right amount of controversy to keep the heat on.

Observations so far. It is still about money and time. Time is absolutely the most precious commodity. Every time I sit on the couch now and flip on the tube I ask myself if this is the best use of my time.

OTOH - an Aussie buddy said this weekend something like, "Everyone needs some staring at the fire time." - I forget the exact quote but it sounded very "Aboriginal sitting around the fire talking to the moon" type of statement.

We all need to veg out sometimes. CF is sorta like veggin out for me...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 19:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Observations so far. It is still about money and time. Time is absolutely the most precious commodity. Every time I sit on the couch now and flip on the tube I ask myself if this is the best use of my time.

OTOH - an Aussie buddy said this weekend something like, "Everyone needs some staring at the fire time." - I forget the exact quote but it sounded very "Aboriginal sitting around the fire talking to the moon" type of statement.

Ex Calif.

I think your friend is right on the mark. Staring is good. I do a lot of it on the boat and it clears the mind and helps me come up with some good ideas and plans. Staring on the boat IMO is much better for you than staring at a TV anyday. You notice a lot of what is going on in your natural surroundings too. I would encourage those who have plans to take off and sail get the the boat ASAP even though you may not be able take off right away or even in a few years some staring time and working on the boat in the meantime is not such a bad way to use ones time while waiting to follow your dream.
Old 23-09-2012, 21:23   #8

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Tough story and sorry for you troubles. Not to make an example of you but there are often underestimations of what it takes to get a boat going on a budget - and everyone is on a budget - you apparently got misled by some people.

The risk of buying a boat early in the adventure is one does not really know what to look for. There are bad sellers, brokers and surveyors. Having time on OPB (other people's boats) allows one to see what breaks, what is good and what is bad.

Unless one has deep pockets a big part of this hobby is fixing boats (sometimes in exotic locations) -

Part of buying small is that the errors are cheaper to recover from. My 26 foot boat has been a 5 year learning experience in boat maintenance, sailing and boat costs.
I wrote a post but CF kindly logged me out. leaving out the rest, no worries about making an example of me, I use me as an example regularly of what not to get into with boats :-). Agree about the wannabe thing, doesn't bother me, I still wannabe sailing, just can't.
Trying again: You are right, but that unfortunately smaller and badly abused is not more cost effective than slightly larger and well maintained. In my particular situation, the boats I had lined up when I came across the one I bought would have been less costly for me, and been a much better experience to boot.
There is a difference between maintenence costs/fixing a boat, and having to replace almost everything except the hull, deck and (hopefully) mast.
I doubled the initial sale price to account for potential required minor repairs and learning to maintain her properly, but was totally unprepared anyways for what I landed in.

Electrical meant replacing every wire except for the wires from the deck up to the mast, replacing every panel AC and DC, adding fuses, switches, adding outlets, adding lights(none in boat that worked properly), adding battery charger, rewiring engine, replacing the gauges(all broken), replacing all batteries(could only start engine with both joined they were so toast).
replacing battery wiring, adding battery monitor, adding propane solenoid and sensors.

Every major system from plumbing on requires the same kind of attention.
Deep pockets are required when dealing with a boat with an unfortunately well motivated and Red Green inspired previous owner...
Silicone and Sawzalls should require licenses.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 21:43   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Trying again: You are right, but that unfortunately smaller and badly abused is not more cost effective than slightly larger and well maintained. In my particular situation, the boats I had lined up when I came across the one I bought would have been less costly for me, and been a much better experience to boot.
Not to pursue your bad experience but...

In the question of "do you want to sail or fix boats" I am squarely in the "sail" camp as are you I am sure.

With some boat experience one can pretty quickly learn to suss out the major bad guys - shot rigging, osmosis in hulls, crap wiring, dodgy engine. Not to expert level but to a level that allows one not to be misled or cheated.

My only caution is that "Buy the boat" should not always be step one. Learn a bit about boats and maintenance first.

Once again sorry for your troubles...

On a differing tack there are the "labor of love" guys. I was chatting with a guy last week and we got into hull peeling, mast replacement, engine replacement and all the really, really "expensive" stuff. He was pretty much in the camp of, "I bought this thing and I will spend any amount of money to get it back in bristol shape" - it is like some obligation or fixation.

I am going to get slammed but I have no problem with the fact that some boats are ready for the glass chopper.

I stated that my boat (31 years young) is worth about S$15k - If I had to do a $8000-$10,000 peel job for osmosis, I wouldn't. There is a point of diminishing returns and there are lots of boats out there.

I considered it this way. My boat's maintenance cost is $400 a month, all up including insurance and mooring. This is great "fun" value and that is what sailing "costs" for me.

The investment was $15k and through routine and some not so routine maintenance I keep the value at $15k. If I sell it on at 15k the equation works.

If I make a major investment like peeling it does not add $10k to the value of the boat. It is still a $15k boat. I have to amortize that cost over my ownership horizon. If that horizon is 20 year, maybe great. Not great at 2 years but maybe 5 years (another $200 a month in ownership costs) - This makes my boat a $600 a month boat.

Add a new mast and rig, a new engine and the ownership horizon better be pretty darned long...

If all that needed to be done at that point I might "accidentally" sink her in 60 meters and "escape" on the dinghy back to shore.

Sacrilege I know but not all boats have to be "saved" forever...
Old 24-09-2012, 03:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I have absolutely no problem with the wannabe monniker.

I am a wannabe retiree/cruiser. At some point I may graduate to gonnabe.

This is a big deal. I work all week and it is so easy on the weekends to get up late and fart around.

My dad would always get up at 6am on Saturday and Sunday. I asked him why he didn't chill. He'd say, "I get up every day for the bastards. I get up on the weekend for me."

It is brutally hot here from around 2pm till 5pm. I have settled into an 8am start and a 2pm knockoff time. Saturday with people coming I am motivated to get going. Sunday I was drinking my morning coffee getting carried away with CF threads and almost delayed going. I finally launched about an hour late and got 5 hours in.

Getting started is key for me.

Wannabe - Doing something but wants to be doing something else. I wannabe retired and I wannabe cruising on a cat. Right now I am a day/coastal/racing sailor with a small boat learning tons everyday.
Poser - Buys the gear looks right. Maybe in our world buys a great new boat, a silly captain hat and mixes margaritas at the dock - never sails
Newbie - First timer. There are many folks that show up here that are not newbies. They sailed or boated in a previous life and are getting back into it. Maybe new to internet or CF but not to boats. A newbie can be a wannabe.

Gonnabe - Advanced far enough in current plans to have a shot at it. Making forward progress. Right now I am a boat repairman (Relax Lah is on the hard) but I am making forward progress - in a few weeks I am gonnabe a sailor.
wontbe - This is the rude one. Most of us who have been here a while can spot the wontbes. I won't go any further with this other than to say they really have their heads in the clouds and really don't take any advice well. I don't spend much time on those threads. Predominantly characterized by a first post with outrageous plans. Absolutely nothing wrong with first posts or low post counts. We all started with one.

Don't know how I am doing on the catamaran cruising plan - maybe still a wannabe. Hope I am not a wontbe.

See - I think you are a gonnabe. Making forward progress...

thanks!

your very astute posts allways crack me up

at the end of the day it doen't matter what you do,what does matter is that one does something with a bit of passion to keep the juices flowing
Old 24-09-2012, 07:10   #11

Quote:

I figured I might as well get my 6th post in on a thread like this one

So as my user name implies, I'm an an Ex-Calif defined NEWBIE/WANNABE, but not a wontbe and take no offense at either the NEWBIE or WANNABE tags. I originally joined to gather information for something that I had already decided I wanted to do.

I read a lot, dream, and then research to fulfil the dream. Fiscally, I could go now, but choose not to while I prepare and kick the children out of the nest... I'm a 41 year old single parent with about 8 years until I've fulfilled my responsibility properly to both. In the meantime, I've started the lessons on weekends and read just about every book or link that looks interesting in posts. I'd really like to build a boat, but understand that the hours to finish != what my time is worth in the workplace.

In real life, I work a metric ass ton and live on a fraction of my salary. When work begins to overwhelm me, I tell myself "that was a new winch", or "wow, that project sucked, but it's a new [Rocna|set of sails|watermaker|bottom job]" and keep on keeping on.

As far as my contribution to the forums, I'm generally a leech. My experience is about nil, I don't own a boat, won't own one anytime soon (though that doesn't stop me from browsing yachtworld/ebay/cragslist), and reading ain't doing...

I appreciate the posts experienced people make in here, especially Gord, Peggy, the bumfuzzles, and all sides of the origami-steel boat debate.

<sarcasm>

When I do buy a boat, it'll be a cat in the 35-45' range with LiFeP04 batteries, solar and decent wind (though I'll buy a cheap one and a good set of blades). I'll probably go with the Rocna for the anchor - but not a Chinese one (flame on), macerating heads, ssb, satellite phone Internet & tv, and a good WiFi solution, and cost way more money than I should spend for horrible performance while terribly overloaded and we're all gonna die... I'll anchor poorly and be the curse of you in the anchorage as I use my anchor ball and leave my fenders out. I'll likely drag. I'll fart while upwind. And I can't wait...

</sarcasm>

I so badly want to get started, but realistically I have a few years. So for now, I'm StillDreamin...
stilldreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:32   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldreamin View Post
I figured I might as well get my 6th post in on a thread like this one

So as my user name implies, I'm an an Ex-Calif defined NEWBIE/WANNABE, but not a wontbe and take no offense at either the NEWBIE or WANNABE tags. I originally joined to gather information for something that I had already decided I wanted to do.

<snip>

I so badly want to get started, but realistically I have a few years. So for now, I'm StillDreamin...
Definitely a high Gonnabe factor...
Old 24-09-2012, 01:15   #13

Boat: 45' Custom Ted Brewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahquabi

Quote:
Atoll, I think the best piece of advice you gave me was; "If you survive the first year you'll probably be OK". Certainly helped to focus the mind.

Just past the first year (13,000 Nm), am I still a wannabee? There's little doubt in my mind that you will say yes.

Hello from Auckland
Ahquabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 01:30   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahquabi View Post
Atoll, I think the best piece of advice you gave me was; "If you survive the first year you'll probably be OK". Certainly helped to focus the mind.

Just past the first year (13,000 Nm), am I still a wannabee? There's little doubt in my mind that you will say yes.

Hello from Auckland

ha! one of my protege's!

tony you will allways be the "dishwasher from hell" to me,who lost a fight with a tomato!

definetly not a wannabee any more!
you have graduated to BOAT FIXER IN EXOTIC PLACES!!!!!!!!!

got to know any nice sheep? in kiwiland
Old 24-09-2012, 01:44   #15

Boat: 45' Custom Ted Brewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahquabi

Quote:
who lost a fight with a tomato!
In fairness to me I believe it was a bag of tomatoes
Ahquabi is offline   Reply With Quote