Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 11:09   #856
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

thanks for the update.
anxiety can be a major cause of seasickness as can having to concentrate on stuff like the engine or a chart.
better luck next time.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 11:25   #857

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
theway, Sounds like you learned some valuable lessons without things going horribly wrong.

The sea seems to be a great teacher, and you can learn the hard way at great expense, or learn to not fight it and learn the same lesson safely. I'm a big believer in trusting your gut, and it seemed to be speaking to you loud and clear.

I recently read (am reading Lin and Larry Pardey's books - can't recommend them enough) that you should never tell people where you are going as it only sets you up for failure if you change your plans, or have your plans changed for you. Sailboats, apparently, have destinations, not schedules to keep. So take things easy, let the seas lead you.

MG
Definitely learned some lessons, one of my favorite things to do in life.

One thing I learned is that the Hydrovane is a champion. I couldn't imagine sailing without it now. I'm also a lot more comfortable with my Pearson 323. I'm pretty sure that when I'm ready, the two will take me around the world.

And yes, I definitely agree about not telling people. I felt this on the way back and added stress going out I realized that next time ill just take off down to Mexico and eventually let the boat slowly point and start sailing west.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 11:30   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for the update.
anxiety can be a major cause of seasickness as can having to concentrate on stuff like the engine or a chart.
better luck next time.
Yup.

I just purchased some Dramamine to start experimenting with the effects it has on me for my next attempt. I've had my boat for 5 years and have never felt that bad, even the times when the engine made me sick.

I think one major factor was the sun. the day I left there wasn't a cloud in the sky so there was nothing distant to focus on, and the sun and its reflections on the water did a number on my eyes and brain. I eventually found some sunglasses but it was too late.

Thanks again...

And heres a photo of that damn net...
Old 22-04-2015, 11:48   #859
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok so i will be leaving my haven of engine reparaciones to sail north to mazatlan to fix under boat finally.
just because i am somewhere forever doesnt mean i quit, as i do not quit..i am still out here in tropics effecting repairs in exotic locations.
btw
ka lunk is awesome now
getting filters n fuel n water n food for cat n humans..shortly after payday may 13 i will gtf outta dodge.

will race letter A to mazatlan.. hoping that doesnt happen. at least we get a week advance notice plus a few days.....
will reactivate spot before i sail out of here
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:03   #860

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

theway,

certainly not a failure in anyway. You just had a bad experience and learned from it and improving yourself for the next attempt.

Just think, you've already gone farther than so many others out there. Keep it up.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:15   #861

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Theway, good for you! San Francisco to San Luis Obispo solo is no small trip. There is a lot of good cruising to be had in Southern California too.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 13:55   #862
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the way--- get down here it is awesome gorgeous and water is warm enough to swim in. some is actually clear as well...lol
make sure ye go to zihuatnejo and barra de navidad before yo turn right.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:34   #863

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for the update.
better luck next time.
Clearly he was relieved to be returning to California and the fact he felt better shows the anxiety he felt over the trip.

Sometimes it's just not time yet.

This also supports an opinion I have regarding medications for sea sickness. When in doubt, take them. When about to face anything you've never faced, such as a crossing or worse conditions. When you just can't risk being sick, take them.

Looking at a chart or reading anything takes your focus away and further increases the discord between what you're seeing and what your equilibrium is feeling.

I've never been seasick and hate to put that out in the universe as I might be tomorrow. However, I've still taken meds a few times. We also encourage new guests experiencing things the first time to do so. I believe that by it helping make their first time good, then they're far more likely not to have problems the next time. If someone gets sick once then it's on their mind for a while.

Toss in the sun, the sights, the looking at charts and whatever else, I really think anxiety was the key and something deep down was telling you this wasn't the time to be doing this. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, in many ways it's good. Next time, you'll prepare in ways you didn't, you'll be so ready that nothing will get you down.

Some degree of nervousness, fear or anxiety is good for us. It helps us make sure we're fully prepared. Now if we then let it control us long term, it's a problem.

I consider your trip a great success and hope you look at it in that way. It was a great round trip, you faced some issues and solved them (such at the net), you made it back safely, to your destination fine (even if not your initial destination). Now you know what a crossing is about. It's not something you've read in books only. You've gained some experience and that will be valuable to you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 18:46   #864
Armchair Bucketeer

I think you demonstrated good seamanship.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 08:58   #865

What happens to all the wannabees?

Thank you all, thank you.
I really do appreciate your words and encouragement.
Old 25-04-2015, 18:08   #866

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

My first time out for my first sailing class a few years ago I got seasick. Puked all over the deck, I felt so sorry for everyone that had to put up with that. I was a useless sobbing lump in the corner just praying for it to end. And that was a two hour class. But, I really wanted to go back out again so next time I pre-medicated. Ever since then I take meclizine if I haven't been out in a while and it works. On the couple longer trips we have taken where we are on the boat all the time, I usually don't need to take anything after the second or third day. Last trip I actually started to feel sick back on land, felt good to be back on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 08:43   #867

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Everybody has a unique body chemistry and reacts differently to the motion. Different remedies (pills, ginger, bands, patches, diet, etc.) work differently for people, some remedies work best when started enough before the trip, and some folk recover / habituate sooner than others. Maybe you can also try some closer-to-the-coast trips with crew to find out what works best for you.
Old 26-04-2015, 16:30   #868

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I will let the video and pictures tell my story. I was a wannabe for 10 years.The adventure has begun.

Trip - Album on Imgur

http://youtu.be/rZTy-_BAwPM

What advice I would like to offer. QUIT READING CF AND GET OUT THERE! Seriously 1/2 of what you read here is ******** written by people who have no idea or people who want to sensationalize what they are doing. Although it requires planning and preparing, anyone can do it. Be smart, read, study, take online courses (NauticEd is fantastic) and GO NOW.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 02:31   #869
Armchair Bucketeer

Yes. Anyone can "do it". But not everyone should.....but to be fair, many of those do survive.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 06:43   #870

Boat: Passport 40

What would you do, "in the mean time?"

I am two years from the purchase of a boat. The dream is very much alive. I have taken the RYA day skipper class, taken a VHF course, chartered in the Seychelles, read a lot, watch videos of what to do and what not to do, and taken CPR. My plan for the next year is to refresh the navigation skills and possibly take the costal skipper course, read more, learn about ssb, and possibly take a marine diesel course, though that may be tough to find in my current location. My husband can already do all these things I just want to be an equal on the boat, though there are some things I will defer to him because he is an expert (marine engineer) But god forbid something happens I want to be able to get us safely to shore.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote