Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 07:29   #676
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Seems strange to me that someone would deliberately abandon.. possibly rig a slow scuttle.. of a 50ft boat he'd bought for quite a few thousands of £££'s to 'Upgrade' to a smaller boat worth £15000 or thereabouts.. especially with no insurance..
But.. conspiracy theories are always popular..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 07:43   #677

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
I heard that even the rescuers stopped their fund raising and their video in regards of some misterious answers/ explanations.
You heard...

I "heard" otherwise

"UPDATE - Jan 24** Thank you all so much! Your generosity has been overwhelming. The fundraising goal has been surpassed by a mile so we're closing the campaign for now. The outpouring of support has been truly incredible. - Will"

source: https://www.gofundme.com/coombes-family-rescued-at-sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
But.. conspiracy theories are always popular..
gotta love the internet.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 07:45   #678

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Something is wrong about this yacht loss. Meanwhile I smell a scam. too many unanswered questions in regards of the recovery. I really hope, that "someone" is not just after the funds instead of doing anything to find his loss.
There are rumors here on the island.
These people suffered a well documented tragic loss. Unless you have hard facts posting vague innuendo like this is kind of pathetic. The fact is there is no good way to find this boat & you can't recover a boat you can't find.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:07   #679

Boat: Bristol 47.7

On a more constructive note -- for future reference that is -- I recently ran across this device which is apparently due to hit the market soon.

Ping GPS

Given the unfortunate circumstances in this case, what primarily caught my attention is the claim of a month's long battery life that is also rechargeable. It looks like it also has a standalone gps receiver for tracking anywhere. Could be just the ticket if it works as advertised.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:22   #680
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Perhaps his best bet now is to gather all video's and photo's of the families adventure, edit the best and write a book.. from the day of decision to sail away, the search for the boat, the purchase and preparation, then the voyage with the tragic ending of the abandoning of the boat and the rescue.. followed by the search efforts and finally a list of 'Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda' options following time to reflect..
Then buy a really good boat with the proceeds.
Give 'Rebel Heart' some competition.. definitely more drama

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:28   #681

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Something is wrong about this yacht loss. Meanwhile I smell a scam. too many unanswered questions in regards of the recovery. I really hope, that "someone" is not just after the funds instead of doing anything to find his loss.
There are rumors here on the island.
If you think someone went to the trouble of losing an uninsured boat worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, faking a video rescue with another boat with a full delivery crew and losing all of their personal possessions just to make 20,000 dollars then I have a lovely bridge to sell you
Old 20-02-2017, 08:33   #682

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
On a more constructive note -- for future reference that is -- I recently ran across this device which is apparently due to hit the market soon.

Ping GPS

Given the unfortunate circumstances in this case, what primarily caught my attention is the claim of a month's long battery life that is also rechargeable. It looks like it also has a standalone gps receiver for tracking anywhere. Could be just the ticket if it works as advertised.
This is pretty cool. Something like this could also help someone find a boat if it was stolen. I have a feeling that these things will just keep getting smaller. Eventually we may even be able to track dinghies or even bikes.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:51   #683

Boat: Building Wharrams

Any news or updates?
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:29   #684

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Ping GPS
Let's not misunderstand one basic concept:

- Trackers like this, even when their size is amazing, pose no solution for situations like the ones in this post. Trackers like this need/require a 3G or similar cellular connection to be able to "post" their GPS coordinates. So these are nifty devices when inland, or very close to land. Otherwise they are utterly useless.

People need to understand the difference between GPS, cell, satellite 2-way communications. It's not all the same one-thing solution.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:36   #685

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Let's not misunderstand one basic concept:

- Trackers like this, even when their size is amazing, pose no solution for situations like the ones in this post. Trackers like this need/require a 3G or similar cellular connection to be able to "post" their GPS coordinates. So these are nifty devices when inland, or very close to land. Otherwise they are utterly useless.

People need to understand the difference between GPS, cell, satellite 2-way communications. It's not all the same one-thing solution.
Thanks Gaucho. I made the mistake of likening it to my iPhone & iPad which both have indpt. GPS receivers which will provide location in the middle of the ocean. The Ping may or may not be able to do this as well, but I forgot about the remote tracking component, incorrectly assuming it was akin to a DeLorme or Spot device.

Of all the options discussed, it seems like a DeLorme that works below decks and remains plugged into ship's batts. may be the most viable.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 15:29   #686
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks Gaucho. I made the mistake of likening it to my iPhone & iPad which both have indpt. GPS receivers which will provide location in the middle of the ocean. The Ping may or may not be able to do this as well, but I forgot about the remote tracking component, incorrectly assuming it was akin to a DeLorme or Spot device.

Of all the options discussed, it seems like a DeLorme that works below decks and remains plugged into ship's batts. may be the most viable.
Our tracker runs on battery or can be hardwired, battery life on a sailboat with 30 minute pings runs about 2 years before needed to be changed.

If this had been on this boat the owner would have been able to monitor his vessel from anywhere in the world with an accurate location.

Our tracker is satellite based and will provide coverage anywhere in the world. It is trusted by several charter companies and is in place in several multi-million dollar yachts.

Please send me an email for more information: andrew@atlastraxusa.net
Old 02-03-2017, 15:35   #687

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Looks like the Ping has a GPS receiver so it should know where it is worldwide.

The thing it lacks is a satellite transmitter. So it needs a connection to a cellular phone provider to send its location. IOW, not only does it need to be in range of a cell tower, it needs to be in range of a cell tower used by a specific service provider.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 16:27   #688

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AffordableGPStracking View Post
Our tracker runs on battery or can be hardwired, battery life on a sailboat with 30 minute pings runs about 2 years before needed to be changed.

If this had been on this boat the owner would have been able to monitor his vessel from anywhere in the world with an accurate location.

Our tracker is satellite based and will provide coverage anywhere in the world. It is trusted by several charter companies and is in place in several multi-million dollar yachts.

Please send me an email for more information: andrew@atlastraxusa.net
I have visit your website but cannot find a page with the specifications of the used technologies. Can you please explain it here and specify the costs.
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 16:48   #689
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
I have visit your website but cannot find a page with the specifications of the used technologies. Can you please explain it here and specify the costs.
Sure, website is going under a big renovation soon to get it up to par.

I hate to sound like a commercial here but this is the easiest way to put out the information without leaving anything out.

Seatrax does so much more than theft recovery assistance. We can handle monitored float plans, tell you about your engine hours and trip details from hours out, average speed of trip, latitudes and longitudes etc.

It also allows friends and family to look for your location if you are overdue from a trip or so they can monitor you on your journey.

· Proven theft recovery at an affordable price
· Approved by most insurance companies, save on premiums
· Pre Activated right out of the box, ready for installation
· Find loved ones that are overdue from a trip
· See trip logs, start times, engines run hours
· Separate audible alarm systems available with dock sensor cables, snap sensors, motion sensors, hatch sensors.
· Monitored trip float plan is available for Atlastrax customers to ensure safety and arrival for long trips

SeaTrax GPS tracking systems are self-contained with an internal antenna, are water proof and chemical resistant and have worldwide coverage using satellites. It can also be hard wired and the batteries act at a long life back up (batteries, 4AA lithiums, last on average 2 years with 30 minute pings).

Daily notification indicate battery life condition, date, time, location, with a link to a map of location. When the boat moves, customers get an email message every 30 minutes. When the boat stops, the messages stop. All messages are sent to the customers emails provided and saved on Atlastrax secured server.

In the event of theft ALTASTRAX can provide the client a LIVE LINK to forward to authorities to get updates and see latitudes and longitudes, speed and heading for the fastest recovery without damage.

You will be able to see every point by point position in the TRIP ID message number, accumulated trip mileage, accumulated trip time in duration and average speed between points and bearing.

Members can see your trip logs, hours per trip, mileage, distance between points and locations with bread crumb in 30 minutes or less increments

In some cases, we also rent SeaTrax to the customers needing temporary GPS tracking for a trip to the Bahamas, races, tournaments or boat rental companies because of its portability and ability to be moved.

Here is a sample map that you will receive and have full access to on our servers.

As far as pricing goes see our post in the commercial forum: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-180811.html

If you have any additional questions please send me an email: andrew@atlastraxusa.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image004.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	142342  
Old 02-03-2017, 20:45   #690

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hello all CF.
Please play nice everyone and have some compassion for a family with a boat lost at sea. Anyone who has had a family on the ocean in difficult circumstances would hope for "seaworthy" understanding and constructive assistance, Especially in this forum. Best wishes for all. A