Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 17:07   #16

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Solar controller recommendations

Victron here for the reasons others have mentioned. We have four 360w panels each with a Victron 100/30. With the money saved you can buy a BMV-712 and have the SOC display anywhere. No need have the controllers mounted out in the open. Mine are in a low locker corner with a 120mm PC fan blowing air from underneath. I always monitor temp and it peaks at 38C during heavy midday use. The controllers start to throttle output at 40C and are listed as safe to 60C.

I'm not saying Victron is the best, as there are plenty of reported failures. I think this is just relative to being sold in very large numbers. I see them as the value leader with a nice Bluetooth app. Cheap enough to keep a spare if desired. But with four already, I haven't bothered.
Old 21-05-2019, 17:29   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

5-year warranty prolly helps motivate their build quality
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 23:43   #18

Boat: currently boatless

Singularity, When I read your reply I thought there was something new that I was unaware of in regard to connecting solar controllers to solar panels. While some circumstances may require one solar controller per panel dependant on the solar panels location and requirements there is absolutely no requirement or "consensus" that each solar panel requires one controller. This is just incorrect.

The reference material you pointed me towards relates to " STRINGS " IE multiple solar panels connected together with " EACH "string then connected to independent MPPT solar controllers. Indeed this is the method I used to connect two stings of 2 x 320 watt solar panels to two Fangpusen 60 amp MPPT controllers.

The initial post only asked for recommendations on replacing his current solar controller on an existing installation. I am sure that both of can agree location and size of panels does impact on connections from that point. If the panels were in two different locations and different areas of shade I would also strongly agree that two Controllers would be more efficient but if the two panels are in the same location, one correctly sized controller is all that is needed.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, solar