Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 12:25   #1

Single handed circumnavigator in need of some help in Tasmania

Dear all

If the post has ended up in the wrong forum, please advice me as to where i should relocate it.

In Short:
My fellow club member and good friend single handed sailor Kjell Litwin has attempted a non stop circumnavigation, along the route of the Golden Globe Challenge, but out of competition. At 71 years of age, he is a very capable and accomplished sailor, with one circumnavigation already to his name, albeit along a more leisurely route.
He is now oat 103 16 East, roughly southwest of Australia's southwestern corner, on the lattitude of Hobart. Due to some unforeseen difficulties he has decided to call at Hobart/Tasmania to make repairs. He has unexpectedly run out of fresh water, has been slowed down by gooseneck barnacles and, most importantly, his home built wind vane self steering has broken down. He was recently assisted with 20 litres of fresh water by GGR participant Istvan Kopar, a bit of mid Indian ocean drama that can be read about here: https://goldengloberace.com/istvan-k...olo-yachtsman/
He has since then also been able to collect some rain water.

As Kjell has now made the decision to call at Hobart I am in contact with the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania and they are expecting his arrival. Kjell's main concern is to have as short (and inexpensive) a stay at Hobart as possible, in order to still stand a chance to circumnavigate before the southern winter.

Now: Kjell will be in need of a new wind vane self steering unit to proceed on his way back to Europe by way of Cape Horn. I am now contacting all major manufacturers for quotes and possible delivery times. But I also thought it would be a good idea to use this forum to se if there, by chance, happens to be someone in the Hobart region who has a unit on the second hand market. This would indeed be a lucky coincidence. Please spread this call in any direction you think relevant, and be assured of mine, and Kjell's gratitude.

It should be said that Kjell is by no means in distress and this is not an emergency call. He is doing well, keeps his moral high, and humbly accepts that his plans have been altered by the elements.
Please post any information here, or directly to me at perrunhammar@gmail.com

Kindly
Per Runhammar
Vice Chairman
Gota Sail Yacht Society
Stockholm/Sweden
p.hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 17:59   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Single handed circumnavigator in need of some help in Tasmania

As a bump for this excellent post, I can only wish good luck with a quick stopover. I'm sure that the folks at RYCT will take good care of him, and their circle of contacts is quite wide. You might also wish to contact the Derwent Sailing Squadron (another big YC in Hobart) and the Cruising yacht club of Tasmania (https://www.cyct.org.au/). The latter is a somewhat more hands on type of group, less socially active, and might have some better contacts for used gear.

Jim
Old 02-11-2018, 18:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handed circumnavigator in need of some help in Tasmania

I'll echo the bump and sentiments.. Respect.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 16:51   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

It may be of little immediate help but while in Mooloolaba last week I know of two Fleming Major windvane steering units on the market. I guess the issue would be transporting a unit from Queensland and the cost involved.
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:53   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

These Fleming Global Majors are getting a bit old, however they are very solid units, and I would say up to the task. Hmmm, maybe a bit heavy for a 32 ft boat, not likely to break.
Disclaimer: I had one for years on my previous boat, so I am biased.

Here are some other vanes for sale: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manl...ane/1184309987
I am not sure under these circumstances, quick turnaround, if a new unit is preferred over a 2nd hand one.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Might be worth seeing if the OP can get in contact with the Golden Globe Race headquarters as they recently put out a call for parts for Susie's windvane, IN TASMANIA. They might have been offered some whole units and still have the contact information.

Tags
single