Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 13:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390
Seeking a Volvo 2003T oil cooler

My mechanic can order a new one for $1,800...yikes. I'm looking ANYWHERE for a used one in good to fair condition. If you have any idea who might stock used parts for Volvo's, I'd love to here about it.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Seeking a Volvo 2003T oil cooler

very crap design of the oil cooler on the 2003t,after mine had been rebuilt in panama,due to corrosion.

a year later i took it off completly and used a similar sized bowman oil cooler.

for the two oil lines i made up hoses,that screwed into the block below the heat exchanger wth standard hydralic fittings.(1/2'?)

the saltwater intake i cut the "U" shaped copper fitting at the bottom of the heat exchanger in half and ran a hose to the oil cooler ,the return went direct to the exhaust in let to which i had to cut the copper pipe as well. and use a hose clamp with 1/2 inch tube.

worked great,no more corrosion issues,and cost about $300 for the cooler and 2 hoses
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 15:20   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

+1 what atoll said. Can't remember whose we used, but it sure wasn't Volvo's when it came time to replace, and wasn't that hard to cobble it together. Been going longer than the original.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:11   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Had a 2002 model in my C & C Redwing. Volvo parts pricing was plain Ph*cking ridiculous. That raw water excuse for a pump, driven off gearbox lasted 10 mins .
Old 05-03-2013, 17:39   #5

I read about someone subbing out a Bowman.

I'm going to talk to my mechanic tomorrow, if he doesn't want to mess with it, I may do it myself. I have found rebuilt diesels to re-power with for $2,000, I can't see spending $1,800 for a single part.

But I can't find a used one ANYWHERE. But I do find the new ones from Volvo for $1,800, so I know he's being straight with me.

I originally hired him because I owned another Volvo 2003 engine ten years ago and the 'plumbing' they used (tinkertoys) drove me nuts and I didn't want to mess with working with the cooling system again.

I may have more questions about hooking up the Bowman!

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07   #6

Atoll,

Sent you a message on how you mounted your cooler. As noted, the mechanic is fine with putting something like this in, but wonders how it would mount to the engine.

GATOR
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

with that one i just lay it next to the engine,though it might have been possible to fabricate a bracket using the two bolt holes from the old oil cooler,though it would be quite difficult to get the 4 hoses to lay properly without using 2x180 degree bends for the water intake.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 20:40   #8

Boat: J/40

Wow, good timing on this thread. I see some unfriendly corrosion around my oil cooler now.

Atoll, I am a bit confused. Are you saying you were able to put hydraulic hoses into the stock holes that the oil lines for the oil cooler go into/out of? Were you able to match the threads easily?

Also, any recollection of which bowman oil cooler you used?

Finally, as I am also in Panama, was there a good place you found the hydraulic lines?

Great stuff.
infinitysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysail View Post
Wow, good timing on this thread. I see some unfriendly corrosion around my oil cooler now.

Atoll, I am a bit confused. Are you saying you were able to put hydraulic hoses into the stock holes that the oil lines for the oil cooler go into/out of? Were you able to match the threads easily?

Also, any recollection of which bowman oil cooler you used?

Finally, as I am also in Panama, was there a good place you found the hydraulic lines?

Great stuff.
I double this conversation. I pulled my engine out yesterday just to clean it and noticed the oil cooler was dripping salt water. So I took it off and it was stuffed. I had also noticed small amounts of oil in my exhaust too, and looking at the way this thing had corroded away, I'd say. I found the oil problem to.

Any recommendations on the oil cooler u used, I'd like to know too.

Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54   #10

Boat: J/40

I haven't done this yet, but you can order an oil cooler with a cupro nickel core and 5/8 end fittings for water and 3/8 NPT for oil from lencocoolers.com for $135. Just email them about the end fittings size you need. I am going to mount this on a bulkhead next to the engine and run hydraulic hoses from the engine block and plumb the water hoses through it. They make 5" and 9" coolers (and larger). I am going to use a 9" one.

The only other bit is that the hollow bolts that attach to the engine block for the oil lines are some sort of metric thread. I haven't removed them to measure yet. You can find adapters to go from metric to NPT here: Hydraulic Fittings - 9235 | Metric Male x Female Pipe (NPTF)

If you do this, take some pics and post them, please.
infinitysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:31   #11

Hi there. I'm definitely going for after market with a company in new Queensland. When I'm doing it ill take some photos and put up.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:02   #12

Boat: GibSea 402

I have a 2003T in my 40 ft yacht. The oil cooler suffered the same fate as others on this thread. I took the oil cooler off, made up a tube to loop oil back to crankcase and have been running the motor for 2 years without an oil cooler. I do not work the motor hard under normal conditions and have seen no increase in engine temperature. I did increase the engine room blower size to increase airflow around the engine.
I guess time will tell if I am making a problem for myself but on an engine this age decided to give it a go. I have 3200 hours on the meter.
pwhitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:38   #13

I did consider that but read (not sure if in this thread or elsewhere) that the slight increase in heat would diminish the effectiveness of the oil. Whoever it was he went into quite some detail, which led me to conclude it wasn't worth the risk. My engine meter doesn't work, so I have no idea how many hours its done. I know it was completely rebuilt at a ridiculous cost in 2004 as the $14000 of receipts were still on board. Boy did they see his bow wave coming. And I use my engine a lot, living in a river 7 hours to the ocean.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:11   #14

http://forums.travel.com/yacht-cruis...-vp-2003t.html

This is where I seen the conversation about the possibility of routing past the heat exchanger.
Old 17-08-2013, 01:06   #15

Hi, I've now attached an after market oil cooler. It cost $300 with all fittings. I've attached a photo but I'm not sure it it will show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1490803011.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	65627  

Tags
oil, volvo