Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 05:45   #1

Sailboat purchase in Pattaya.

Hi,
I am considering buying a sail boat currently on sale by a local Thai owner and having it loaded onto a transport ship. I wondered if anyone has had experience and would know if there would be customs duty to pay when they load it. The owner says if I sail it out of Pattaya there would be nothing to pay. But the office of the transportation ship explained the procedure for loading will involve being cleared by customs agent prior to loading?
richardjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 07:25   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Sailboat purchase in Pattaya.

The most wretched hive of scum and villainy in the galaxy, watch your back, the "authorities" are not just in league with the mafia / scammers fleecing foreigners, they are the ringleaders!

Sorry I don't have more specific advice.

Personally I'd first get the boat to another country in a very low-profile way, then ship it onward dealing with people where rule of law counts for more.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 07:33   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Prices for 'ladies of the night', not to mention ladyboys, has skyrocketed and I suspect the same is true for everything else. On the other hand there are deals to be made.

Without knowing more about your personal experience in the area it is not easy to give advice. Sure there are tons of crooks there, but they can be bought and grease the skids for you.

Bottom line you need local connections there or the potential for a rip off is huge.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 07:55   #4

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate all that you saying. Unfortunately, I have quite a lot of experience with Thailand and know everything revolves around corruption and the scams are everywhere. I do have some very honest Thai friends in the North East but they don't seem to know either. Thinking about what you mentioned probably better not to risk it and sail it away on a low profile and ship it back when I reach a safer country. Unfortunately, I don't have a crew to help sail it offshore or across an ocean but maybe I could take it to Singapore or Malaysia?
Old 17-02-2019, 08:21   #5
cruiser

Malaysia would be fine, Singapore the best sure but crazy pricey and that side a long sail (motoring)

Maybe pick up crew in Langkawi, probably very cheap by the week, just make sure not to broadcast they're working, just friends flying into BKK together on holiday.

And a boat / import-export / tax lawyer recommended by maybe even your embassy? Phuket's a likely spot to ask long-term expats otherwise,

also to get a wharf rat compatriot to do a quick survey if you don't feel certain about that end.

I would not hire **any** assistance from Pattaya if that's where the seller is wired in.

Tell everyone around there none of your actual plans, just that you'll be sailing locally a while, then one day like Keyser Soze "poof… you're gone", as if you're on the run
Old 17-02-2019, 08:52   #6

Boat: Triswood 35, "L'interdit"

Last time I looked at the map Pattaya was opposite Langkawi/Phuket seen from the Malaccan penninsula. Terengganu on the east cost of Malaysia has a quite good, cheap and well managed marina and is'nt more than a couple of sail days from Pattaya...
Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:57   #7

Great advice thanks, I will make sure not to hire anyone local and try to find someone who knows about import-export tax. I just emailed the shipping company again to ask if they could let me speak with their customs agent so will update the post if I get any useful information.
Thinking if I could offer the Thai seller a slightly increased price subject perhaps finding a way to structure a deal where he does not receive full payment until once it has been loaded, maybe that might be possible.
Old 17-02-2019, 09:28   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec View Post
Last time I looked at the map Pattaya was opposite Langkawi/Phuket seen from the Malaccan penninsula. Terengganu on the east cost of Malaysia has a quite good, cheap and well managed marina and is'nt more than a couple of sail days from Pattaya...
Yes, never imagined taking the boat over there.

Local flights are very cheap.
Old 17-02-2019, 09:35   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardjon View Post
Thinking if I could offer the Thai seller a slightly increased price subject perhaps finding a way to structure a deal where he does not receive full payment until once it has been loaded, maybe that might be possible.
Very unlikely.

And this implies to me you trust the seller? Don't do that, stop discussing any plans with them, need to know only.

Really your only concern with him is the condition of the boat and the price.

Change your story to

going to stick around a while, sail along the coast but base in Pattaya, enjoy Jomtien beach etc

And use that consistently with **everyone** you interact with based in the area, need to know basis only.

Especially any local "romantic interests" of any sort, maids, clerks, security guards etc.

Might sound paranoid, but in that part of the world soon as you're talking any dealings worth more than a few hundred bucks, that's the only way to be IMO.
Old 17-02-2019, 09:43   #10

Spot on advice thanks.
Old 17-02-2019, 10:40   #11

Boat: "Imaginary Steel 50"

Just remember that the basis of every scam is that you are promised something that you do not deserve.
If it is too good to be true...
Not to be condescending, but I live by just 5 rules.
The first is: Stay out of jail.
The second is: If it sounds like BS it always is. No exceptions.

Ask yourself if all this subterfuge is worth your trouble.
Just saying.
Good Luck
fxarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 11:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Ah, Pattaya, what a beautiful beach that was! I grew up mostly in Thailand, from 1949 - 1966, mostly before the Vietnam War changed everything. Pattaya was a beautiful beach. Went to a YMCA camp about one beach down, in 1960. I learned to drive, at age 12 on the single unpaved road on the beach. There was one building, I think, a beach bar named Barbo's. Remember sitting there listening to music when I was about 15. I had a friend with a Fireball sailboat, and occasionally sailed it there. Sad what that area became.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 12:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

(cont'd)....Phuket was not even a destination then, and Hua Hin a small town with the King's Summer Palace.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 22:33   #14

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

If you arrive in Malaysia or Singapore without having proper clearing-out stamps from Thailand, I would expect you would get into some serious difficulties. Acting like a thief in the night is likely to get you treated as one.
Having lived for thirty years in the Middle East and SE Asia, I would not dream of trying to play games like that, especially amongst those three countries.
Others may have different experiences.
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 01:00   #15

Boat: GibSea 114 40 Ft

Hi,
Lots of BS advice except from "Keith88". Sailing a boat out from any port Thailand is a relative easy procedure as long as you follow the rules, You need clearance from: Port Office, Customs and Immigration at the port of departure. Port office and Customs need to examine originals of boat data and registration and photo of the boat (on site) and Customs requires "List of vessel specification and inventory" and Certificate of registry and crew list with passport numbers. You will not be sail away unless these institutions issue clearance. If you plan for sea transport from port in Thailand you are in for extensive documentation and costs. If your destination is Europe, USA or Australia, its recommended to head for Malaysia (Terengganu) or direct to Singapore for top-cargo shipment on a container vessel. Its recommendedto go stop at Ri-Yas Heritage Marina in Terengganu, if checks or repairs are needed. There are no limit to stay and all flags are well-come.
bjoerngr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, purchase, sail, sailboat