Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35   #421

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You are obviously not a lawyer,
and it seems many here are something there not...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-07-2014, 07:43   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, I saw all that too (and more). I just feel really sorry for his wife and kids who have to deal with it. This isn't pretty.

From what I've been able to dig up - I think we might actually be at rock bottom

I'm done.
Oh. You saw the naked photos of his behind too? WHO does that???
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Where do you get all of this?

Disclaimer: I am not a plaintiff's lawyer, and I do not necessarily agree that all of these legal principles are right. I spent my whole legal career either teaching in law schools or representing big corporations, and I am rather conservative, philosophically. I do not think that the law should be used to protect consumers from their own stupidity in every case. I am the co-author of a treatise on contract law (that is, a handbook used by legal practitioners) which has a whole chapter on the concept of freedom of contract and the dangers of overriding what people agree to in contracts. So what I am writing here is just a description of the way the law is, not any kind of argument that it is or is not right.
Dockhead, what about the fact that the company is a LLC? What is the limit of their liability? (Generally speaking)
Old 12-07-2014, 08:00   #424
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Problem is that time on the water is not an undifferentiated commodity. Simply living on a boat anchored in a harbor counts as time on the water, even if the growth on the hull of the boat is big enough to reach bottom and render the boat immobile. Driving an outboard powered skiff picking up windsurfers at least means the person has been on a moving boat.

But a CG ticket does not mean the person holding it has any experience anchoring, or even has posted in threads about which anchor is better or how much chain is needed or how much scope is needed.

Personally I thing the second most important skill (picking the right weather window is the first) a cruiser needs is using ground tackle.

I know there are plenty of folks who have a CG ticket who know what they are doing. But there are also lots of folks who got their ticket through book learnin and would be at a loss if they had to cut away a crab pot that had fouled the prop.
I don't disagree, though I think a thorough knowledge of the rules of the road might rank near the top, or at the top, of the list.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:04   #425

Boat: Skookum 53'

Having a good head on your shoulders is at the top of the list.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:14   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In the US it has been federal law for some years now, that every cell phone makes 911 emergency service calling enabled--regardless of the service plan, regardless of roaming, regardless of anything except a physically dead phone. And as I understand it, those laws affect the phone maker, not just the carrier. The phone must connect 911 calls, carrier agnostic.
Yes you are correct and in Australia you would be dialling 000 and I suppose 911 may work fine if you can understand the jargon.
So Sim, outdated Sim or no Sim, RH should have been able to place a call to 911. I have a Sat phone that has been disconnected for the past 6 months, I switch on the phone, I get “registered” then “searching for network” then the date and time from Iridium then “SIM error” then I push OK then I can dial 000. Now if the people I talk to wishes to communicate with me then I am sure they can get a connection to my Sat phone in less than half an hour. It has been said that the greater user of Iridium was the military. So boaties may not be that important. As per previous threads Sat phone have great advantages, one of them is that if you call Dad before you set the EPIRB the EPIRB as less chance to be ignored.
RH is a sad story, just the case of a bridge too fare. I just feel sorry for them because RH and Red Charlotte where great fun to read.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:16   #427

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I don't disagree, though I think a thorough knowledge of the rules of the road might rank near the top, or at the top, of the list.
Required reading

Not just the book, but the comments at Amazon as well.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:19   #428

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Having a good head on your shoulders is at the top of the list.
You have shoulders first before you can put a head on them. To have shoulders you need a body, probably need legs, but maybe not.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:52   #429

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

OK - After pages of speculation, character assassination, trolling and sacks of armchair quarterbacking in the absence of much information, this thread is closed. Further discussions along these lines will be closed as well - time to go sailing folks.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, navy, rescue