Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 11:03   #61

Re: Plastic Plastic everywhere but not a drop to .....

Let's face it, generally speaking, humans are pigs and basically lazy! No news flash there. You see it everywhere, along the roads, some peoples property, in the harbors and ditches and yes, in the sea...Trash! Much of this trash is in the form of plastic, from your little 12oz water bottles to trash bags.
We're all to blame by not pressuring government to restrict or ban the use of many of these products and that's mainly because we all use them, kind of like automobiles, which kill or maim more people per year than any disease known to man. Nothing is done because we use or depend on these products daily.
How many "sailors" actually hold on to all of their trash during a passage? I'm guessing some do or make an effort to do so but you can only accumulate so much before that decision to "unload" has to be made. I sailed with a well-educated professional person for three months. While I made every effort to contain our trash it would eventually disappear whenever that person was on watch. Hmmmm
The train of thought here is "Out of sight, out of mind!"
Old 22-01-2018, 11:08   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xriss View Post
My first post on the forum folks...& a very poignant one at that hope future post will be somewhat less sombre...thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/bbc/videos/10156144632886108/
I might suggest that it was not the produce of recreational boating but awareness doesn't hurt. Much of the worlds shipping is not from developed nations. To use and old term tramp steamers.
Old 22-01-2018, 11:12   #63

If you REALLY want to have a field day worrying about profligacy, conspicuous consumption, exhaustion of resources for no good purpose, destruction of the environment, etc., etc., ad infinitum, then consider the misery we are bringing upon the world by some people's affection for "fast fashion".

That particular problem is as serious as that of plastic in the oceans and is as intractable. Dumping "first world" garbage in "third world" counties is as reprehensible as dumping it in the oceans.

By the way and apropos: Where are we gonna dump our frozen snot boats when they can hang together no longer, or when economics, as it is evolving, reaches the point where many an owner will no longer be financially able to keep his boat and, for the same reason, the market for "yachts" will collapse?

TP .
Old 22-01-2018, 11:37   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
If you REALLY want to have a field day worrying about profligacy, conspicuous consumption, exhaustion of resources for no good purpose, destruction of the environment, etc., etc., ad infinitum, then consider the misery we are bringing upon the world by some people's affection for "fast fashion".

That particular problem is as serious as that of plastic in the oceans and is as intractable. Dumping "first world" garbage in "third world" counties is as reprehensible as dumping it in the oceans.

By the way and apropos: Where are we gonna dump our frozen snot boats when they can hang together no longer, or when economics, as it is evolving, reaches the point where many an owner will no longer be financially able to keep his boat and, for the same reason, the market for "yachts" will collapse?

TP .
I feel sure there is a pearl of wisdom someplace in there?
Old 22-01-2018, 12:12   #65

Well, yes, but the "pearl" wasn't produced by me.

Deep, deep down in the recesses of my heathen mind there seems to be something sculling about - something about a mote in your neighbour's eye and a beam in your own, was it :-)?

Yours in frugality :-)

TP
Old 22-01-2018, 12:15   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3sailor View Post
Let's face it, generally speaking, humans are pigs and basically lazy! No news flash there. You see it everywhere, along the roads, some peoples property, in the harbors and ditches and yes, in the sea...Trash! Much of this trash is in the form of plastic, from your little 12oz water bottles to trash bags.
We're all to blame by not pressuring government to restrict or ban the use of many of these products and that's mainly because we all use them, kind of like automobiles, which kill or maim more people per year than any disease known to man. Nothing is done because we use or depend on these products daily.
How many "sailors" actually hold on to all of their trash during a passage? I'm guessing some do or make an effort to do so but you can only accumulate so much before that decision to "unload" has to be made. I sailed with a well-educated professional person for three months. While I made every effort to contain our trash it would eventually disappear whenever that person was on watch. Hmmmm
The train of thought here is "Out of sight, out of mind!"
There's no excuse for dumping rubbish (other than food scraps) overboard. You brought it out with you, you can take it back to shore.

Landfill isn't a perfect solution either, but infinitely preferable to dumping at sea.

John McEnroe
Old 22-01-2018, 12:30   #67

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I'm unable to view on FB, as I have terminated my FB account. That said, an interesting film on the subject is Plastic Oceans.
https://www.plasticoceans.org/about-film

What we are doing in our area (coastal NC, USA) is pressuring elected officials to restrict or eliminate use of plastic bags at businesses in coastal communities, and eliminate use of plastic straws (paper straws are available, after all). Funny how when I was a kid, we managed to get by with paper bags only. The only way to really solve the problem is to keep the plastic out of the water in the first place. Our local village council is taking up this issue in 2018 and it appears that at least in my home town we will outlaw plastic bags and straws. It's a start, but of course, leadership at the state and federal level is what is really needed.
Old 22-01-2018, 12:57   #68

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Relative to plastic trash, it's a bit of a bother, but if you use orange juice, for instance, that jug will contain much of your other plastic trash, just cut up the trash with the kitchen shears, and it will be able to be pushed down with a spoon handle and compacted and contained in a small space. More work than an electric trash compacter at home, but actually works pretty well. Screw the lid back on, and it controls odors, so the trash doesn't even have to be very clean. Suggestion courtesy of Sapient Sue, another CF Member.

I used a yoghurt container, with a tight fitting lid, held all plastic trash for a about a week sail, with no problem. Making it small really works.

Ann
Old 22-01-2018, 12:59   #69

Some of you of sufficient antiquity may recall that early in Hitler's War the standard carrier-based British aircraft was known as the "stringbag". Fairey Swordfish was the proper name.

because of the plethora of guy-wires that held her wings on, the beast took her name from the stringbag that every housewife had. Made from cotton twine, what we today in it's modern, man-made version would call "net twine". Fitted with proper wooden, seamanlike handles, though few of them ever went to sea. When you went shopping you took your stringbag with you. Stores did not provide "shopping bags", either "complimentary" or for money, though of course bulk foods (way ahead of the modern marketer's sop to the ecologically conscious) were put in paper bags made from something we called "cartridge paper"- what we now know as "Kraft"-paper. There wasn't a scrap on "disposable", non-biodegradable stuff in sight.

Maybe it would be a good idea to let Imperial Chemicals, IGFarben, Dupont and all others of their ilk pay for the cleaning up of all oil-based man-made garbage? Just like in TP: If you muck up the heads, YOU clean the heads :-)!

TP
Old 22-01-2018, 13:03   #70

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Welcome along and don’t be put off. Let's face it, virtually none of the ‘original’ posts are original and have endless variants, views and opinions. Virtually all could be dismissed and referenced back to some earlier discussion. In fact we could just say everything worth ever talking about has already been discussed and we've enough information and so freeze the forum, job done.

Just looking through today's initial posts and we see:

Leaks
Shore Power Issues
Honda engine issues
Size of boat for single handing
Height of mast
Depth of keel
Heating and cooling

All been done before many times.
Pollution, anthropomorphic global warming, resource wastage, fossil fuel usage, all been done before.

Seriously though I am always disappointed when I see members making off-hand posts like:

It’s not at all helpful. Thousands of people read but hardly ever post. That's a shame and we don’t have to wonder too long to understand why people are so reluctant. In my view we need to encourage people to participate, and with a tad of humanity and friendliness, the more likely it is that those less assertive might take the plunge and offer their thoughts.

And believe it or not, this forum used to be friendly and welcoming. But something has changed over the past 18-24 months or so. There are many posts like Pete's now. Many are even worse and quite nasty and the value of the forum has deteriorated considerably as a result.

But on the other hand Xriss, all you've done is post a link, and that is Facebook teenager style. Why not tell us what you think, what can be done, what you're doing as well as the link? So to be fair you've sort of opened yourself up to being dismissed because you haven't said anything. But anyway welcome Xriss, feel free to post about whatever you think might be of interest. I’d seen that video before, and sadly still as poignant.

On the thread topic. The trash in the water and wastage of resource is horrifying. Where I keep my boat (let’s make it about me!) there is a constant blanket of floating rubbish, bags, bottles and detritus. It’s awful. Visit most cities and towns in a few supposed pacific island paradises and they live in a world of rubbish. Seemingly oblivious to the trash that clutters their harbours, covers their beaches and smothers their sea beds.

Oh and Xriss, if you really want to get people posting introduce topics such as:
Guns or not on the boat
How do I work illegally in 3rd world countries on board my $US500K cat?
Hurricane holes
Health insurance (when much of the world has free health care)
2 stroke vs 4 stroke
Mono vs multi hull
They’ve all been done before, but who cares right?
I think you forgot the best one
"What is the best size yacht for me "

Enjoy the group ,,, and welcome
Old 22-01-2018, 13:42   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
I'm unable to view on FB, as I have terminated my FB account. That said, an interesting film on the subject is Plastic Oceans.
https://www.plasticoceans.org/about-film

What we are doing in our area (coastal NC, USA) is pressuring elected officials to restrict or eliminate use of plastic bags at businesses in coastal communities, and eliminate use of plastic straws (paper straws are available, after all). Funny how when I was a kid, we managed to get by with paper bags only. The only way to really solve the problem is to keep the plastic out of the water in the first place. Our local village council is taking up this issue in 2018 and it appears that at least in my home town we will outlaw plastic bags and straws. It's a start, but of course, leadership at the state and federal level is what is really needed.
Amen on the face book. I could care who blew their nose or wiped something this morning.

Remember glass bottles for milk, with a paper cap, and soda. The soda had a deposit which was refundable. There were no plastic bags. I'm not sure they even ask paper or plastic any more? You are correct it starts with leadership unfortunately in spite of all the rhetoric about saving the eco system it is not a high political priority.
Old 22-01-2018, 13:46   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Plastic pollution in our seas

Here is another that could take off if the demand increases and the price subsequently falls.

Cardiff Dad renovates 45-year-old milk float due to demand | Daily Mail Online
Old 22-01-2018, 13:51   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have merged the two threads currently running on the same topic.

Pete
Old 22-01-2018, 14:13   #74

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

You forgot to mention anchors and anchoring....
Old 22-01-2018, 14:18   #75

Yeh, Dear Old Pete Seeger had a song about that. But who's paying attention to old geezers like that, eh?

TP
Closed Thread

Tags
poll