Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 11:43   #31

Re: New Boater - is it normal protocol for a marina to not cover damages from dock ha

Yeah, something wrong with that material in the strut. First... it should bend. It looks dezinc'd or...? Just write it up to "pay close attention to all lines". Even if the dockhand had laid it on the deck, it could slip off fast.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 12:28   #32

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'
Re: New Boater - is it normal protocol for a marina to not cover damages from dock ha

The dock hand shouldn't throw the line in the water, but the boat crew should have been ready to pull the line aboard quickly when it was released. That's the captain's responsibility. Did the dock hand drop the line or throw it at the boat and it bounced off the boat into the water? Maybe it was "just an accident" that was not caused by a failure to exercise "ordinary care". It seems unlikely the dock hand would cast off the line and intentionally throw it into the water; you might get part of your money back, and you might not. What is a weakened strut worth? A new strut replacing a deteriorated one is considered "betterment" and you are not entitled to that in a case of negligence. I agree that it would be more trouble than its worth to go after the dock hand's employer for your damages; yacht owners don't get a lot of sympathy in many places. You pay for insurance, use it, if it's worth the claim history. You probably won't be "charged" as having caused the damage so it might not show up in increased premiums, but it may cause you to lose the discount for not having made a claim.
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 12:33   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've always made clear to crew (and dockhands should follow this as well) that if a line ever ends up in the water, it's not the end of the world, just retrieve as quickly as possible. But more importantly, I need to know about it immediately to avoid wrapping it in a prop. Not try to get it back and then tell me if you miss, but tell me as soon as you see it, then do something about it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 12:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, something wrong with that material in the strut. First... it should bend. It looks dezinc'd or...? Just write it up to "pay close attention to all lines". Even if the dockhand had laid it on the deck, it could slip off fast.
I agree. The break looks a bit pink. Breaking at the dock may have been a blessing in disguise.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 12:59   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I personally wouldn't take something like that up with the marina. The dollar amount is really too small to be worth making into a big deal, and it's not entirely clear that it's the marina's fault.

I don't trust anyone on the dock with my lines if I can possibly help it. In other than exceptional circumstances of wind and current, I would not have more than one line being made fast at once, so that I can keep an eye on what is being done.
I agree entirely with this.

Use "dockhands" at your own risk. I would never, personally. I can handle my own damned lines, even single handed on a 54 footer.

No cause for blaming the marina here.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:18   #36

Boat: 29 ft

Broke a prop last year, it was also apparently dezinced / de-whatevered. Practically no deformation and a pinkish look of the broken surface. It broke when shifting a bit hard from forward to reverse while berthing. The mechanic who saw it said that happens more often when boats are connected to shore power for long times.

Anyway - the bracket had it coming and you are lucky it happened where it was just a minor inconvenience and not a desaster. The bracket needed replacement anyway.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:27   #37

Boat: Fuji 35 ketch

my experience is marina's will not cover much of anything. my boat was in a berth in Seattle and during some rough weather a nail pr screw worked its way out of the dock and caused a gouge in the surface. marina said it was my problem as I should have inspected or made sure the boat was safe
JON REISWIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:38   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This is a secondary issue, but I think you should get that paint off the prop, and see if it is de-zincified, as well, as failures under way are always more of a problelm than you'd like to have. You may have a new prop in your future, too. It is the old B O A T (bring out another thousand). It'll be good to have this behind you.

Ann
Old 31-07-2020, 14:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhwins View Post
The dock hand shouldn't throw the line in the water, but the boat crew should have been ready to pull the line aboard quickly when it was released. That's the captain's responsibility. Did the dock hand drop the line or throw it at the boat and it bounced off the boat into the water? Maybe it was "just an accident" that was not caused by a failure to exercise "ordinary care". It seems unlikely the dock hand would cast off the line and intentionally throw it into the water; you might get part of your money back, and you might not. What is a weakened strut worth? A new strut replacing a deteriorated one is considered "betterment" and you are not entitled to that in a case of negligence. I agree that it would be more trouble than its worth to go after the dock hand's employer for your damages; yacht owners don't get a lot of sympathy in many places. You pay for insurance, use it, if it's worth the claim history. You probably won't be "charged" as having caused the damage so it might not show up in increased premiums, but it may cause you to lose the discount for not having made a claim.
Good idea. Chalking it up to a lesson learned. Appreciate the input!
SailSummerDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:42   #40

Also good to note for anyone who was not already aware, BoatUS did not cover the tow for free because “damage was caused by the marina”. In the future always say you “limped in” and are “unsure the problem” as this will ensure a free tow. Another lesson learned the hard way.
Old 31-07-2020, 14:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Could just be me, but that break looks like it was "just waiting to happen".
What he said. +1

It does look as if your strut broke along an already existing fault line. Also sounds like the marina was attempting to make it right - until they saw that strut!

As Captain, I'm phobic about lines fouling my prop - especially while manouvreing under power. Dockhands do get training - I've conducted it myself - but whether they actually absorb it and put it into practice, well... that's a whole other thing entirely.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:44   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhwins View Post
Agreed. Everything happened in about 20 seconds. First 5-10 seconds was me yelling at the dock hand to bring in the line, at the 20 second mark he stops staring into space and says “oh, I threw the line and it went under the boat, I probably should have said something earlier”
Old 31-07-2020, 14:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
What he said. +1

It does look as if your strut broke along an already existing fault line. Also sounds like the marina was attempting to make it right - until they saw that strut!

As Captain, I'm phobic about lines fouling my prop - especially while manouvreing under power. Dockhands do get training - I've conducted it myself - but whether they actually absorb it and put it into practice, well... that's a whole other thing entirely.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Agreed. Task today was trimming down the bow line so it can’t even reach the prop anymore should a dock hand decide to toss it under my boat again.

Greatly appreciate the input and feedback!!
Old 31-07-2020, 14:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I would persue in small claims court if they refuse to settle. Businesses are responsible for their employees but you will need an expert to support that the dock hand caused the damage. Your log should distroy any claim of old damage.
Appreciate the input. I paid $80 to the courthouse today to pursue this route. See what happens.
Old 31-07-2020, 14:49   #45

Just be aware, if you plan on stopping in at Georgetown Landing Marina, don’t trust the dock hands and be prepared for an EXTREMELY bumpy night due to the inlet and current

Tags
boat, dock, new boat, rot