Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-07-2019, 18:10   #1

monohull vs multihull observation

Yes, I know this conversation is a tired one. I've sailed on monohulls a few times in my life. My last sailing experience was as a student in a sailing course. From my limited and incomplete experience with sailing there's one thing I've noticed that I haven't heard in the monohull versus multihull debate. I was wondering what the thoughts of the people in the forum were on the matter. My impression with a monohull, especially an aft cockpit model, is that the sailing experience is more vivid. The sailing experience feels more real. One is closer to the water. There's the feeling of being more connected to the water and wind in an aft cockpit monohull than the raised center cockpit and even more so on a catamaran. Those boats give the feeling of being more cut off and removed from the elements. I've heard many people complain about being too close to the elements, especially when they get wet but from my perspective that almost adds to the appeal of it. I guess that's how I always thought sailing was like as a kid. I envisioned boats leaning at an almost impossible angle with water flying all over the place. Maybe it's an opinion based on the novelty of it for me but being connected to the elements is what sailing is all about. If it wasn't we'd all be on power boats. Again, I have virtually no experience in the matter. It's just a casual observation. Was wondering if that cut off feeling on a catamaran is a real thing with other people.
Midtownsails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, hull, monohull, multihull