Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2023, 08:52   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000
Mexican temporary import permits

I need help with renewing my Mexican TIP. Before it expired I tried renewing it the normal way in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It turns out the previous owner never canceled his TIP which expired more than 10 years ago. He has Alzheimer’s and is in a memory care facility. His wife has no record or memory of the boat ever going to Mexico or him getting a TIP. I purchased the boat 13 years ago from a Southern California broker, I was issued a 10 year TIP from Mexico and cruised up and down the Mexican coast for 10 years. When it was time to renew I was told I couldn’t renew because the previous owner never canceled his TIP so they canceled my TIP and left his name on the expired TIP because it was never surrendered. Iv’e tried renewing with a reputable service that specializes in TIP cancel/renewal for boats traveling around Mexico however they seemed to have not been able to help me resolve this issue. Without a current TIP in your name, boat documentation and insurance you will not be able to go to Mexico and check into any Mexican marina’s and leave yourself open to possible legal issues with customs, immigration, and the Mexican Navy.

I cannot express the importance of when you purchase a boat and you plan on going to take it south to Mexico, make sure the boat has a clean title and that there’s not a TIP (current or expired) still on it.

I’m open for any help or suggestions with other boaters who may have had this issue, I’ve been told that this is not an isolated problem and there are a lot of other boaters with the same issues.
syncorswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 11:11   #2

Re: Mexican temporary import permits

Latitude 38 did a story in 2016 where Mexican consulates in LA, PHX, and Sacramento had staff to work through TIP Cancellations.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...ation-process/

Story cites an Agent in Cabo who has successfully assisted with cancelling TIPs issued to previous owners. Looks like he deals with super yachts now, so might be an expensive discussion.

https://barredaagency.com/

Another 2016 article on a TIP amnesty day in Otay Mesa (east of Tijuana).

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...d-tip-dilemma/

Have you been allowed to stay in Mexico? I bumped into someone in Ensenada 2-months ago who was given 48-hours to return to the US or risk siezure of their boat. As you can imagine, they were crushed.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 05:59   #3

I just got this “TIP not cancelled by prior owner” resolved in November 2023.

Not easy, but here are my steps
A.) I got a copy of prior TIP by crossing into Tijuana, going to Banjercito p, Mexican Navy Bank. I walked over boarder Otay Crossing San Diego, to Banjercito. My hope was a TIP, but did not get it, but I did have copy of expired TIP from prior owner.

B.) I walked into San Diego International and got a Form 1300 from Homeland Security Customs and Boarder Patrol CBP. This must be obtained within 48 hours of departure and must be stamped. Include Dingy on this form if that is going to be part of new TIP. I am told adding or changing dingy is not fun.

Here is the logic: Form 1300 shows you checked out of USA on a recent specific date, so by definition you had to have left Mexico prior to that date.

I used Hotel Coral in Ensenada and got old TIP canceled and new one submitted same day. Fito is the dock master at Hotel Coral and can walk you thru this.

Make certain you have all the needed docs, proof of purchase like Bill of Sale doc in case asked.
I was not.
QSS2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 06:03   #4

I just got this “TIP not cancelled by prior owner” resolved in November 2023.

Not easy, but here are my steps
A.) I got a copy of prior TIP by crossing into Tijuana, going to Banjercito, Mexican Navy Bank. I walked over boarder Otay Crossing San Diego, to Banjercito. My hope was a TIP, but did not get it, but I did have copy of expired TIP from prior owner.

B.) I walked into San Diego International and got a Form 1300 from Homeland Security Customs and Boarder Patrol CBP. This must be obtained within 48 hours of departure and must be stamped. Include Dingy on this form if that is going to be part of new TIP. I am told adding or changing dingy is not fun.

Here is the logic: Form 1300 shows you checked out of USA on a recent specific date, so by definition you had to have left Mexico prior to that date.

I used Hotel Coral in Ensenada and got old TIP canceled and new one submitted same day. Fito is the dock master at Hotel Coral and can walk you thru this.

Make certain you have all the needed docs, proof of purchase like Bill of Sale doc in case asked.
I was not.
Old 25-12-2023, 06:54   #5

Very important you have original notarized letter, not a copy, authorizing you to take boat to Mexico if corporate owned.

Yep, you write as corporate owner, you sign it, you get it notarized, but without original you will be rejected.

Tags
import, permit