Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2022, 07:09   #1

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'
Listing for sale in California - concerns

Hi all: I am preparing to list my sailboat with a broker in California. I've just read the standard CA yacht brokers' listing agreement, which appears to bend over backwards to protect the broker and may put me at risk legally. The main issue is that I live out of state, and cannot be present for inspections, haul-outs, trials, etc. But the agreement says I am still responsible while all that is going on, above and beyond the standard insurance coverages. Has anyone had experience -- good or bad -- with this?

Thanks in advance.
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:57   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Listing for sale in California - concerns

Quote:
But the agreement says I am still responsible while all that is going on, above and beyond the standard insurance coverages. Has anyone had experience -- good or bad -- with this?
My boat insurance covers anyone using the boat with my permission including brokers. What risk are you concerned about that your presence could prevent ?
It's not unusual to buy a boat from a broker and never even see the seller.
BTW I bought a boat once from Dinah Goodsell in Alameda now at Cruising Yachts and she is absolutely 100% reliable, honest and competent.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 10:18   #3

My insurance policy does so as well, for liability, but not for hull and equipment. That's my concern. That the boat might be damaged while the broker is operating it, and he has no responsibility under my policy. I suppose it's a question for him whether HIS insurance policy would. More later...
Old 17-02-2022, 11:57   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@jenders:

You can't sign away your right to sue the broker if they damage the boat from negligence, but it would be expensive to sue him.

You could consider hiring an attorney to write a different contract that would protect you better.

You could consider buying term insurance for the period the broker will be showing the boat.

Ann
Old 17-02-2022, 12:22   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

The risk is less than you fear I think, the broker I mentioned and her husband have been brokers and liveaboards for decades. Those that don't feel comfortable handling a particular boat make other arrangements. I recently operated a 43' Bene for the survey because neither owner (friend's widow) or broker could do so with confidence but both were comfortable with me. Otherwise they'd have hired someone, but there was a couple friends like me willing to help out.
Some risk involved in a boat floating in Pacific unattended, a little attention and maybe even operation by the broker might lessen a little of that risk. Life's a trade-off.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 13:30   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

I have bought 2 powerboats and 3 sailboats and sold 1 powerboat and 2 sailboats in California......never an issue. I have never been there to observe sea trail or haul-out and survey. In all my purchases, the Seller attended the sea trial and survey. In the case of my current Hunter 46 sailboat purchase I did not observe the survey, albeit my wife did.

Its just Vroom, who I sold my 5-year-old Nissan to this week.........the Buyer never test drove or inspected the vehicle.
Old 18-02-2022, 13:49   #7

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I've had a lot of experience with brokers in CA as a delivery Captain and buying several boats and selling one.

Will someone steal something as they look at the boat? who knows. Usually the broker is right there.

As far as sea trials, most brokers insist on hiring a licensed Captain who is responsible for damages. To be fair, the Captain won't directly pay for damages but you will have put a rider in place that now covers the Captain and your boat. I've never heard of an insurance company charging for this rider. Those of us Captains doing sea trials have experience on all kinds of boats and are very careful to not have anything happen and do our best to ensure it is a smooth, enjoyable sail that helps sell the boat
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:09   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
.........I bought a boat once from Dinah Goodsell in Alameda now at Cruising Yachts and she is absolutely 100% reliable, honest and competent.
Ditto........bought my Hunter 46 sailboat and sold my Hunter 386 sailboat both in 5 days. I know most of the boat broker the San Francisco Bay, including Point Richmond, Emeryville, Alameda and Benicia and they are 100% reliable, honest and competent.
Old 18-02-2022, 14:16   #9

Thanks everyone for your input. My concerns have been addressed. Again, many thanks.
Old 18-02-2022, 14:19   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I recently operated a 43' Bene for the survey because neither owner (friend's widow) or broker could do so with confidence but both were comfortable with me. Otherwise they'd have hired someone, but there was a couple friends like me willing to help out.
Some risk involved in a boat floating in Pacific unattended, a little attention and maybe even operation by the broker might lessen a little of that risk. Life's a trade-off.
Same occurred for the sea trial when we bought our yacht. The vendor hired a skipper for half a day as his eye sight was failing and he didn't know me from Adam. Worked very well freeing up the vendor and me to discuss all sorts of things without worrying were the boat was sailing, in a busy waterway.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:53   #11

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
My boat insurance covers anyone using the boat with my permission including brokers. What risk are you concerned about that your presence could prevent ?
It's not unusual to buy a boat from a broker and never even see the seller.
BTW I bought a boat once from Dinah Goodsell in Alameda now at Cruising Yachts and she is absolutely 100% reliable, honest and competent.

Agree, first class folks and service at Cruising yachts in Alameda.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, for sale, sale